• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Spirit closing DTW pilot base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys really think flight ops runs the airline? I would guess many of these unpopular decisions are made above his level. I know that flight ops has very little control over scheduling but people think everyone is out to get them. Marketing and Maintenance both have priority when they develop flight schedules.

Its not easy to be a popular DO, expecially during negotiations.

They are made above that level. That unpopular decision was made for political union busting reasons only because what better way to make the pilots lives helll than to make commuters out of all of them. I'm glad it backfired. I'm one of the 30 that refused to put up with that BS. I wish the best for the pilots at Spirit but I'm not sure of the companies long term future.

I've experienced a lot harsher negotiations at previous airlines (e.g., NWA). Many airlines now have contracts that are below Spirit it terms of total compensation and work rules.

"I've experienced a lot harsher negotiations at previous airlines (e.g., NWA). Many airlines now have contracts that are below Spirit it terms of total compensation and work rules".

We'll see what the next contract brings in terms of total compensation and QOL. Pref bid will likely be on the table.

Do you honestly think these pig lovers could be trusted with a program than runs our whole life like pref-bidding. Not!!!! it take at least six passwords to check my schedule and look at my pay stub an bid. We have not changed or written one pairing in the six going on seven years I have been here and we are considering pref-bidding, noway. Another reasons it
won't work, they want our 4 days between trips. If you take my four days between trips I will hunt you down personally to show you the error of your ways; many long time spirit guys feel this way and new guys aswell. if the union puts somthing forth for the pilots to vote on that includes this its a not starter. Maybe when the company demonstrate consistent contract interpretations, let us write pairings in conjunction with planning, and have one login page that allows me to bid, check my schedule and look at my company email and do all the things that every other airline pilot has been able to do since the internet started then we will talk, but until then they can pack-sand. :puke:

And those 6 passwords (I counted 7 for me) require that you they be changed every so often and can't be the same as a previous password =)

" Another reasons it
won't work, they want our 4 days between trips. If you take my four days between trips I will hunt you down personally to show you the error of your ways";

Which is exactly my point. The company hates the 4 days off between trips under the current contract. They also hate the month end transition conflicts (option 1,2,or 3), training conflicts, and the excellent vacation conflict situation currently in place. All of these would disappear with pref bid- much to the delight of Miramar ($$$$). $atellite bases are something the company wants as well- for similar reasons. Time will tell what the NC presents the pilot group with...

We will have to re-evaluate what the total compensation and QOL looks like with the implementation of the next contract- hopefully the rank and file will actually be given the opportunity of membership ratification on it!

Last edited:
" Maybe when the company demonstrate consistent contract interpretations, "

But the company does demonstrate consistent contract interpretation- It's always in favor of Miramar with you left using your own personal time to try (via voice mail, of course) to rectify the discrepancy.

Apathy is what they count on most to get their way that is why we must fight every little violation because it is the slippery slope. Let one thing slide by next time it will be a whole section of the contract they let slide.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back