• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

That naughty, naughty Spirit Airlines takes a jab at American Airlines

By Terry Maxon/Reporter
[email protected] | Bio
6:20 PM on Wed., Nov. 30, 2011 | Permalink
I didn't even notice this when I got Spirit Airlines' announcement Tuesday that it was adding flights to four more cities out of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

But thanks to an American Airlines employee who recognizes snark better than I, the release takes a poke at American's bankruptcy filing Tuesday, under Chapter 11 of the federal bankruptcy code.

"Spirit Airlines today marked a new chapter in Dallas/Fort Worth's history as it announced service to four new markets from DFW with $11 fares."

New "chapter." "$11" fares. Chapter 11. Get it? If American had filed Chapter 7 papers, Spirit's customers could have saved $4.

Fort Lauderdale-based Spirit likes to take others' misfortunes and turn them into promotions. When Tiger Woods crashed into a tree, it had a promotion tied to that. When oil started rolling up on Gulf of Mexico beaches in 2010, it had a promotion tied to that. And so forth.

The new cities, by the way, are New York (LaGuardia), Boston, Orlando and Atlanta. Spirit will offer just one round trip to each destination per day.

They've not only announced it, they've already closed DFW as a station.

It was required by the "Wright Amendment Compromise" of 2006. SWA (or its subsidiaries) aren't allowed to serve both DAL and DFW under this agreement. When the Airtran Acquisition went through, SWA had to divest its DFW service, and announced a date to do exactly that. Some of the other parties actually bitched that we served DFW through Airtran "so long" after the acquisition was closed, but it was to ensure all the tickets pre-purchased on Airtran for DFW service were honored. Anyway, times up.

Bubba

It was required by the "Wright Amendment Compromise" of 2006. SWA (or its subsidiaries) aren't allowed to serve both DAL and DFW under this agreement. When the Airtran Acquisition went through, SWA had to divest its DFW service, and announced a date to do exactly that. Some of the other parties actually bitched that we served DFW through Airtran "so long" after the acquisition was closed, but it was to ensure all the tickets pre-purchased on Airtran for DFW service were honored. Anyway, times up.

Bubba

Yep.

Since you quoted and responded as such, I'm guessing you didn't know I have a SWALife login just like you. :beer:

My prediction, in 2-4 yrs SWA will be flying out of both DAL (new terminal) and out of 10+ gates @ DFW.

Changes will occur in the "new" Wright Amendment to allow SWA to fly from DFW. AA & AAE will be shrinking due to C11 filing, there are already open gates in E, more will occur in A,B,C & D with inevitable shrinkage.

DFW airport bonds will still need to be paid off, SWA has the ability to grow in the area with great access to Latin/S America as well as more domestic destinations out of DFW.

DAL has great upside but it has limits with only 16 gates. Dallas pilot base will be both DAL and DFW.

Just some passing thoughts on possible impact of AA C11. Lots of great buds there, I wish them all well....I wish the press referenced bad management decisions as much as they talked about long labor negotiations but I'd like to believe in Santa also.

Ditch the Wright amendment entirely...

Latest resources

Back