Spartan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
First of all.. don't believe anything the rep tells you. They will lie about anything to get your money.

Yes, it is extremely expensive. $130 for a 152, $150 for a 172 and $170 for a 172RG.!

CRIPES, for that price those things better be turbine conversions!

mattpilot said:
As for management - they dont' give a flying fook about their employees or their students. Only about money. And you hear that from both the instructors and the students.

Get used to that, if you do find one of the extremely rare places in aviation where management does actually care at least as much about the employees as money, don't ever leave!
P.S. let me know so I can apply there too.

Graduate

I am a graduate of Spartan & a former flight/ground instructor & check airman.

Flying is expensive. Everything in aviation is expensive and with the economy, price of gas, etc., it is only going to get worse. If you think the prices here are bad, go over to Britian or Europe, you would turn right around and fly back, it's ridiculous.

Spartan is a pilot factory, always has been, always will be. I came to Spartan in the mid-90's with my private. I got all my ratings at Spartan except my ATP. I had an excellant instructor that pushed me through the program. I graduated with a 2 year degree from Sparan and a 4 year degree from Phillips.

After a year hiates, I returned to flight instruct and teach 2 ground classes. I initially had 14 students and was sick of "primary" students after 6 months, so I started taking instrument, commercial, CFI, CFII and the all mighty MER students. I thoroughly enjoyed making $18K a year doing what I loved to do. I loved flying so much that I took a paycut to go fly 75,000 pound airplanes at the regionals for about $17,000 a year. After a year of starving, I now make $80k a year flying business jets.

Spartan, although considered by some as the Mickey Mouse world of flying, will provide you with a good foundation to start your career. The aviation industry is much tighter than it was 5 years ago. Major airlines are not hiring, regional airlines are thriving thanks to the suffering majors and corporate aviation is more competitive today than in years past.

If you want a career in aviation, Spartan is a good start and the Chief Pilot is a down to earth person and a friend of mine. Embry, North Dakota and all the other mom and pop flight schools all have pro's and con's too, it is just how your personally approach your training.

Remember, you attitude now directly affects your attitude at FL 410.

Good luck, it's not too late to sign up at Truck Masters. :)

mattpilot said:
Just curious, where did you guys (the ones taking the cheap route) get your degrees? Or if you don't have one, how do you plan on obtaining them? You do need a 4 year degree for the majors, dont' forget that ;)

I'm at Colorado Northwestern Community College. It's wicked! 4-5 flights a week. Class G airspace so your flight time is actually flight time (not just taxi lesssons). We're in the mountains (which has been an awesome experience). Weare close to GJT, SLC, DEN, COS. (relativley). The instructors are great. We get 172P/N's for $83 (wet) plus $20 for dual. It's a 141 outfit. And it's owned by the state so their goal is to break even, not turn a profit. You can transfer to Denver Metro if you want a 4-year in aviation or Mesa State if you want any other 4 year. It is a lot of work. I'm in 21 credits now, but everyone is so great. It's worth while. The only downside I think is not being able to network with people handing out jobs. Look up 4V0 on the Denver sectional (or the 9 LO) and you'll understand.

Jack

Chief Pilot is a down to earth person and a friend of mine.

I hope you're talking about Terry, cause dena was a ***** ;)

Class G airspace so your flight time is actually flight time (not just taxi lesssons).

Sounds pretty good where you train at. However, class G doesn't mean your off the ground faster. It never takes me more than .1 from engine start to wheels up.

How comfortable are you flying around busy airspace? Any hesitations approaching an airport that is one of the top 50'th busiest in the nation?

One of the nice things of spartan is that its at RVS. It is the 40th busiest airport in the USA. You will get real comfortable flying in busy airspace at this school.

I'm getting a degree in maintenance from San Jose State University... it's about 1,500 a semester and the school does no flying but there are several airports in the area with your choice of clubs and flight schools.

Rent is outrageous however.

Yeah, busy airports are somewhat intimidating, but no hesitations. I can still function and do my job. Grand Junction can get fairly busy. I shared the pattern with two KC-135s a couple of months ago. But you are right, it would be nice to fly out of at least a towered airport, but hey, can't beat the price (especially with a family at home).

Jack

mattpilot said:
I hope you're talking about Terry, cause dena was a ***** ;)

Sounds pretty good where you train at. However, class G doesn't mean your off the ground faster. It never takes me more than .1 from engine start to wheels up.

How comfortable are you flying around busy airspace? Any hesitations approaching an airport that is one of the top 50'th busiest in the nation?

One of the nice things of spartan is that its at RVS. It is the 40th busiest airport in the USA. You will get real comfortable flying in busy airspace at this school.

gkrangers said:
As far as flight costs go...Riddle can actually be cheaper. Just thought I would throw that in ;)

ha ;)

but they won't let you fly unless you take their $~800 credit hour ground classes :D

Last I checked it was $980 per credit.

This thred is cool, I almost feel like I am at a Spartan sasuage fest! Are the 737's in yet or are they still on back order. Haveing being a student and instructor at Spartan I can say that your experiance their just like anywhere else is just what you make of it. I went into Spartan with my PVT fresh out of high school in 2000, having my PVT already made all the differece for me. A 172 then was $105 with insturtor. Of the 35 that started when I did maybee half of them made it past their PVT of that I think 2 of us made it all the way. I chose to stay at Spartan and teach while the other guy went to teach 61 in AZ, 6 months later he was flying a citation.
It takes a lot of efort to get threw Spartan and keep the cost down but it can be done, it might mean giving up a night of drinking with a bunch of queers, or not chasing all the loose Tulsa ho's, but it can be done. Teaching at Spartan sucks, if you chose to stay there get some time and get out, there are way to many 3000hr CFI's there. I love my job now, it's amazing what you can learn when your not doing stalls in the west practice area.
Choosing a school is a difficult decison, and with todays prices, I think I would go into nursing before going to flight school.

Latest resources

Back