Spartan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mattpilot said:
Just curious, where did you guys (the ones taking the cheap route) get your degrees? Or if you don't have one, how do you plan on obtaining them? You do need a 4 year degree for the majors, dont' forget that ;)

Did the normal four year thing, flew on the weekends for PVT. INST., Did 12 months at a 141 2 year school to finish up comm. multi, CFI,II,MEI, and picked up a job with them as a CFI when done. Even got a second degree out of them(aviation management, Whoop de doo!!! :D )

Granted it was 12 years ago, but I only paid 103 an hour for a 55 Baron!!! I think they still only charge about 170 or so for the 55.

Did you mean a 1960 PA 23? If memory serves, I think 54 was the first year for the Apache.

Anyhow, $250? Man I sold my 58 model to the wrong shmoe!!!! I only got 42k out of it (Bought it for 23k and flew it for 3 years)....I should have found a Spartan student.....Probably could have gotten 70 or 80K for that puppy!!

I dont even know what year they made the apache, just posted some big #'s and hit the price right but wrong plane :)

actually, we fly seminoles - thats a PA44. But you got the price right

Why would you pay 250$ an hour for a PA44????????

KeroseneSnorter said:
Granted it was 12 years ago, but I only paid 103 an hour for a 55 Baron!!! I think they still only charge about 170 or so for the 55.

Student here at spartan bought a B55 this week. His instructor (employed by spartan) will give instruction in it for, i believe, around $170 /hr on this own time. Sure beats the spartan option and you get a high performance endorsement too :D

Flyin Tony said:
Why would you pay 250$ an hour for a PA44????????

I wouldn't. See above post.

You don't need the MER for the degree, so very few people are doing their MER with sparten.

Flyin Tony said:
I dont even know what year they made the apache, just posted some big #'s and hit the price right but wrong plane :)

Ahhh, I see how you are!!!!:D

Whats that on the stand? I have a YZ 426 on the stand in the garage.

05 RM250 :D:D flying out to a race tomorrow in Havasu, Nothing like having your brother take your bikes to the race and you flying out there and then flying home. Sometimes it takes them 2 days to get home and im in the spa at my house in 4 hours

Flyin Tony said:
05 RM250 :D:D flying out to a race tomorrow in Havasu, Nothing like having your brother take your bikes to the race and you flying out there and then flying home. Sometimes it takes them 2 days to get home and im in the spa at my house in 4 hours

Nice, My mid thirties knees make too much noise for racing anymore, but I still like to play in the dirt, though these days I can normally be found on the trails. Every now and then I will hit a MX track, but it's like getting older and drinking too much.......the hangovers get worse as you age......my knees let me know about every double the next day!!!!:D

Most Spartan grads that I work with(there are many) have to take classes from Riddle online because they want a bachelors degree and graduate with an associates degree. Also are deferring payments on around $50,000 in student loans.

I went to a liberal arts college that had a flight school. Bachelors degree in Science and Technology and taught flying there. You're probably right about getting a degree in something else.

Last edited:
people its really not that bad if you know what you are gettin into. no promises of multi turbine time and no guaranteed interview.

It may be Chinese now, but at different times in the past it has been a neat place to learn to fly. Pricey? Sorta, but I went there about 15 years ago and I learned how to read lessons BEFORE flying. I learned to work in Tulsa as a bartender(which was great with the gals from town and the flight instructors). Tulsa is a pretty fun place once you find what you want. I'm from San Diego, have lived in Hawaii and still love Tulsa. I still keep in touch with my flight instructor. And yes, I even have been employed as a pilot(part 135) with the ratings I obtained there. Since, I have picked up a cfi and float and a few other ratings, and everybody I fly with comments that I must of had pretty good training by the way I fly. The instructor is why, not the school per say, but what Spartan does have to offer is you are there to learn to fly. Some people don't have the decipline to force themselves to be the flight student everyday. It ends up not being that much different in price if you do the once a month flight student gig. Plus, you have Nan Gaylord there. Although she isn't "with" Spartan, she is the most awsome examiner I have had the pleasure to fly with. It is hard to get it out of her, but part of her past is in the Smithsonian. I'm all about getting the best deal for your buck, and for every person it will work out different. Do some homework and don't forget, learning to fly isn't cheap, but it better be fun!!!!!!!!! otherwise learn to skateboard.

Latest resources

Back