Southwest's Artful Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
Don't care what other SWA pilots say....

I hope 20% growth comes quickly for ATA and continues for a few years. ATA has earned it being a loyal SWA partner and many good folks need the boost.

Who doesn't? I wish nothing but the best for the ATA pilots, I commute with many of them. But from a pilot standpoint neither of us benefit from flying that could be done from each of our own groups. Bottom line, it's not good for pilots at either carrier when we get put in a corner and rely on the other for growth. My voice, my opinion. We get to do that here remember?

canyonblue said:
Have you ever read the Scope Language at UPS or do you think UPS should let anyone fly their freight, UPS pilot or not?

I have been flying UPS freight for the past 17 months and I am surely no UPS pilot! So much for UPS's scope.

Pipejockey,

We here at UPS have a decent scope clause. The reason you have been flying our work is because the company didn't have either 1. the internal lift to do it, 2. the company underestimated how long it would take to assimilate the extra work, or 3. they did it on purpose. No matter what the reason was, they will be paying a monetary penalty to the pilots for violating OUR SCOPE CLAUSE. If it was so bad as you made it out to be, we wouldn't be getting the money, and you would still be flying our work.

Now, I'm sorry for hijacking this thread. Back to SWA-ATA programming. Being a furloughed ATA pilot, I feel their pain. Many great pilots took it in the rear and are still getting it. But, I also know what scope means to a pilot group. I truly hope that SWA and ATA can create a symbiotic relationship where both can realize the true potential in the codeshare, and that both pilot groups will benefit.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for rock solid scope! If the mainline pilots didn't consider themselves too good for that little 50 seat RJ that first arrived on the scene barely 10 years ago, with Comair I believe, most of us could be working for mainline today. Yes many of us would be in the RJ but only until we had enough seniority to move on to something bigger.

And because mainline pilots wanted nothing to do with these jets, nearly 10,000 of them have been furloughed the past 4 years instead of just being displaced to a smaller jet within the company's seniority list. Now we have the neverending whipsawing between regionals that cause members of mainline management to squeal in delight like a bunch of school girls. And it is also the reason that the regionals will NEVER, and I mean NEVER EVER be a decent career for a pilot. Once one regional pilot group gets a better contract, out the door they go and the lower cost regional arrives....ala CAL, and XJ.

By the way 1800, I am glad you will be flying the freight in totality after June 30th. It just means it is now being flown by pilots who are paid a decent wage and have an actual career unlike the airlines that have been flying it up to now, most of which are truly bottom feeders, despicable scum bag operators who provide their employees with 3rd rate pay, no benefits, no retirement, no future!

Last edited:
Oink, Oink, mofo . . . Oink, Oink.

canyonblue said:
I would have to say if our growth slows even one bit, I know a lot of guys are going to have a problem with this.

You guys didn't have a problem taking "their" flying, but if they want a little of it back, you'd "have a problem"?

canyonblue said:
...I would have to say if our growth slows even one bit, I know a lot of guys are going to have a problem with this...

...I wish nothing but the best for the ATA pilots, I commute with many of them. But from a pilot standpoint neither of us benefit from flying that could be done from each of our own groups. Bottom line, it's not good for pilots at either carrier when we get put in a corner and rely on the other for growth. My voice, my opinion. We get to do that here remember?...

Yeah, I remember we can voice our opinions here. That includes me too....

Your honesty is appreciated. I take it you understand how a couple of your statements appear to be contradicting each other. I do, however, get the overall impression you would like to see our ATA brothers and sisters enjoy some success.

I hope ATA has a substantial period of growth to counter their breathtaking fleet reduction, PERIOD. I don't care if their 3-4 plane growth over a 2-3 years slows SWA growth.

PM me if that position appears naive and worthless.

Last edited:
canyonblue said:
...I wish nothing but the best for the ATA pilots, I commute with many of them. But from a pilot standpoint neither of us benefit from flying that could be done from each of our own groups....

Translation:

"Me, me, me, me, me,........"

Last edited:
I hope I don't get asked about this at the open house on the 10th.

Any suggestions for a tactful, honest reply? :)

Ty Webb said:
You guys didn't have a problem taking "their" flying, but if they want a little of it back, you'd "have a problem"?

Ty, get off the pipe. I wouldn't think the ATA guys are warm and fuzzy about moving all of their flying into a position that works for SWA. Where would that leave them hanging?

I do, however, get the overall impression you would like to see our ATA brothers and sisters enjoy some success.

Exactly! There are a bunch of great guys at ATA and neither group deserves a whipsaw. I would like to see them as big as they were, and bigger. But this plan that is taking shape does not look like it is intended to set ATA on the path of independence from SWA. The ATA guy's I know at least tell me truthfully what they think, and so do I.

What?

canyonblue said:
Don't drink before you post.:puke:

Is that the best explanation of your selfish comments? For me not to drink before I post? Pathetic! You do your SWA bretheren a disservice...

Andy

P.S. Realize that someday, no matter how bad you may want it, SWA will not be on top. That's the reality of this game...

Latest resources

Back