• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Wannabe...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone think Southwest will need to hire within the next 5 years?

crjdude

Yes. The bottom third will apply to the legacies because they will see very little movement for YEARS. The senior AT pilots aren't that old, and when they eventually upgrade they will stick around for years. Very few scheduled retirements (compared to the legacies) in the next decade. Throw in one airplane type, with one retirement equalling one upgrade and one new hire vs 1 widebody retirement at a Legacy causing multiple upgrades (up to 8 or 9 upward movements), and stagnation may be the new norm over there. If the bottom third do choose to leave, you may move up from bottom to about 1/3 up the list, and there you may stay for a decade or more, flying to Midland, Islip, and you guessed it, Lubbock. Other than the remaining AT guys not feeling the " LUV", I bet it might be a great place to be, compared to VA and Great Lakes anyway. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

120 will be hired off the street in 2014. You heard it here first.

Bake

Replacing the 120 running to the legacies.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yes. The bottom third will apply to the legacies because they will see very little movement for YEARS. The senior AT pilots aren't that old, and when they eventually upgrade they will stick around for years. Very few scheduled retirements (compared to the legacies) in the next decade.
When looking at the numbers from 2013-2020 (the first 8 full years of age 65 retirements), Delta retires approximately 20% of their pilot group while Southwest retires approximately 16% of their pilot group (18% of the pre-merger SWA pilot group and 9% of the pre-merger AirTran pilot group).

Throw in one airplane type, with one retirement equalling one upgrade and one new hire vs 1 widebody retirement at a Legacy causing multiple upgrades (up to 8 or 9 upward movements).
Once Delta does get into their heavy retirements in 2018 and beyond, Delta's pilot costs will increase dramatically as 10-15% of Delta's pilots will be in the schoolhouse transitioning between aircraft types while 99% of Southwest's pilots will be flying the line at any given point in time. Airline profitability and balance sheet strength are directly proportional to the amount of money an airline afford can pay their pilot group every year (and steer clear of the bankruptcy courts).

Everyone knows that if you want a job at SWA you don't apply at SWA. The interview is a nightmare, higher power type rating is expensive, and it could take multiple attempts to get the job.

Outside chance at hiring in 2014.

Definitely in 2015. If we have guys that are going to be happier somewhere else, I'm all for them making the move. To each their own.

Outside chance at hiring in 2014.

Definitely in 2015. If we have guys that are going to be happier somewhere else, I'm all for them making the move. To each their own.

If a lot of people leave, those "buy your 737 type rating" places are gonna LUV it. Too bad that still happens. It's a shame, most airlines pay for newhire initial training, including any type ratings needed. Maybe that policy will change someday. Hmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It will never change. If you want to work at SWA you will pay for your initial training. You even have to pay for the hotel now. and your food, and your clothes. and your car insurance. Heck, if you want to park in front of the training center they charge you 5 bucks a day. Who woulda thunk it??? Oh yeah, and your kids are your responsibility. I wished I worked at alley Giant so I could get all that for free.

If a lot of people leave, those "buy your 737 type rating" places are gonna LUV it. Too bad that still happens. It's a shame, most airlines pay for newhire initial training, including any type ratings needed. Maybe that policy will change someday. Hmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Seriously....why do you care. Aren't you happy where you are?

There are plenty of airlines that pay for little to NO training assistance.

I interviewed without the type Gen. Paid it back after taking the federal deduction in the first month. Best choice I ever made. I'm sure glad we don't have tools like you working at SW. I wouldn't be able to deal with the constant arrogance.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back