• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Wannabe...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airtran Flica letter just came out. All Airtran pilots will get 737 type ratings as they transition. Pilots already over will go for type ratings January 2015.

Flat answer to the question NO. Block hours will be reduced as the fleet shrinks to 650ish airplanes with no change in ASM capacity and the schedule is aggressively optimized. Much higher odds of a furlough than hiring.

Last edited:
Flat answer to the question NO. Block hours will be reduced as the fleet shrinks to 650ish airplanes with no change in ASM capacity and the schedule is aggressively optimized. Much higher odds of a furlough than hiring.

Dude, not with the "furlough" crap again. If you really believe this, why don't you take my bet? It's a win-win for you. Chickensh1t? Is that it?

Bubba

If a lot of people leave, those "buy your 737 type rating" places are gonna LUV it. Too bad that still happens. It's a shame, most airlines pay for newhire initial training, including any type ratings needed. Maybe that policy will change someday. Hmmmm.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last I checked DAL won't pay lodging or much else to new hires, glass houses... throwing stones?

Last I checked DAL won't pay lodging or much else to new hires, glass houses... throwing stones?

Uhhhhh, I think the first two weeks are paid for lodging wise, you get a pay check every two weeks, and if you are doing sims in other cities (ATL sims full), then you get full per diem and hotel paid for. Why is that significant? I believe AT 717 sims (owned by Boeing now?) are being moved to MIA, and plenty of newhires will be going to the 88 717s coming. Sound good yet? Newhire pay now is $66 an hour I think according to APC, it will go to $71 an hour a year from this upcoming January 1st, and you don't have to pay for a type.

What is SWA newhire pay? Sorry, no newhires over there unless pilots bail for the legacies. Try to compare Sig. You actually really can't debate. You lose.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Dude, not with the "furlough" crap again. If you really believe this, why don't you take my bet? It's a win-win for you. Chickensh1t? Is that it?

Bubba

I won't take your bet because I think a furlough is more probable than hiring but not a certainty. If we end up 300 pilots overstaffed we probably won't furlough. If we end up 600 pilots overstaffed we probably will. I imagine they will use this as leverage either during sec 6 or to try and get contract concessions after sec 6.

I won't take your bet because I think a furlough is more probable than hiring but not a certainty. If we end up 300 pilots overstaffed we probably won't furlough. If we end up 600 pilots overstaffed we probably will. I imagine they will use this as leverage either during sec 6 or to try and get contract concessions after sec 6.
600 over staffed, still no furlough. We are at that level now with no furlough.

When we hit 1000 of us sitting around, as GK hems and haws about waiting to buy the MAX instead of leasing older 737's, then we might get close to talking selective reduction in guarantee to keep the peace. Say 55-65hr min. If not, then furlough. I suspect nothing till everyone is at min guarantee year-round and getting the little green bar pay. GK must show he tried to make a deal with the pilots who wouldn't help out, before he pulls the plug. And once pulled, is always on his shoulders.

600 over staffed, still no furlough. We are at that level now with no furlough.

When we hit 1000 of us sitting around, as GK hems and haws about waiting to buy the MAX instead of leasing older 737's, then we might get close to talking selective reduction in guarantee to keep the peace. Say 55-65hr min. If not, then furlough. I suspect nothing till everyone is at min guarantee year-round and getting the little green bar pay. GK must show he tried to make a deal with the pilots who wouldn't help out, before he pulls the plug. And once pulled, is always on his shoulders.

That doesn't sound fun. On the flip side, all 3 legacies will be retiring about 15,000 pilots total over the next decade. That means rapid movement upward if you get on within the first couple of years of major hiring. There is a one year seat hold on the initial plane you are awarded at DL, and then you are free to bid bigger, or stay on equipment and get senior. Options are good, and I believe many at certain LCCs will be looking at all 3 legacies for something different with less stagnation. Good luck!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back