• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone know the mandatory airtran retirements over the next 15-20 years?

I think Lee is funny, but I am not exactly like him. I was furloughed and then flew corporate. My experience is different. I do however share his displeasure of the way certain Southwest pilots treat their soon to be "brothers" at Airtran, and I have joined in on the various topics.

OYS

I am sure Airtran pilots feel real comfortable knowing you are on their side along with GL. What a good feeling. Please, give me a break. Are we suppose to sleep better tonight knowing this?

Good point. However, lets again be fair. If Airtran can do don't you think SWA can do it? I really do not know why we respond to this type of crap. Face it, they are better than us in many ways and that is why we are being bought.

This guy is not an Airtran pilot.

OYS

I am sure Airtran pilots feel real comfortable knowing you are on their side along with GL. What a good feeling. Please, give me a break. Are we suppose to sleep better tonight knowing this?

Again, this guy isn't an Airtran pilot at all. Wouldn't you have said "our side" instead of "their side?" Good try.

OYS

OYS

Why, because I do not agree with you and GL? Who said I was a pilot, could I be an employee with Airtran but not a pilot? It doesn't matter whether I am a pilot or just another employee, this site is not just for pilots, all employees can participate. I have just as much interest in this whether as a pilot or not. Don't I? You and some of the others including pilots are causing more head aches than we need. Anybody that agrees with you just to be accepted is a fool.

Oys

And as was pointed out to me by the Flight Info faithful,
neither are you!

What is your fascination with all things SWA/AAI?

Please, do tell!

Again, this guy isn't an Airtran pilot at all. Wouldn't you have said "our side" instead of "their side?" Good try.

OYS

You are correct if I was an Airtran pilot, however, if I am just an employee then I would be correct by saying the pilots would be glad to know that you are on their side. For someone that doesn't work for Airtran you really get worked up on this subject. Relax, you have nothing to lose. You act like you are the spoke person for Airtran.

I thought dal was hiring and recalling furloughees. Of so, how can the list be shrinking? Also, I think I saw a post here which showed if hired in 2012, 1/2 the list would hit 65 in 2022 or 11 years at DAL and 2028 or 17 years at wn (not including the airtran guys which would extend this date a year or two). So if these facts are correct, a guy getting on at dal next year (assuming growth stasis) would be at 50% in 10 years and the same wn guy (again assuming growth stasis) hired in 2012 would hit 50% in 2028 or 16 years.
16 years versus 10 is a big delta (payrates are another story).
I'd love to be corrected if anyone has more accurate facts.

1/2 the list will not hit 65 by 2022. this is false. In 2022, 35 percent of the list will hit 65. 1/2 the list will hit 60 by 2024. Delta is not hiring. We hired 170 new pilots at the end of 2010. We recalled about 130 voluntary furloughed pilots. The new hires were to replace Northwest pilots that retired early due to a buy-out program.

2200 pilots will be "in the zone" by this Summer, that is between 60 and 65. 2000 will hit 65 within the next few years. That means movement. It may not mean right over to the left seat in a year, but people will be jumping up aircraft types (and pay scales) from year to year at a fast pace. 4000 pilots will retire over the next 10 years total. As I stated, if each guy that retires is a widebody Captain or narrowbody Captain, that means good things.

Southwest will have a lot less scheduled retirements, and gaining the younger Airtran pilots may cause some stagnation for years. Reading about these grandiose plans to fly to Europe and Hawaii are interesting, and humorous. The SWA guys are still saying it could take MORE than 24 months to integrate the AT guys. And they plan to start Major ETOPS service soon? Right.

OYS

Your statements are gross over-estimates. They are false. We have 820 pilots hitting 65 by the end of 2017. 820 pilots in 6 years is not very many at a company our size. You really need to look at a crystal ball.

1/2 the list will not hit 65 by 2022. this is false. In 2022, 35 percent of the list will hit 65. 1/2 the list will hit 60 by 2024. Delta is not hiring. We hired 170 new pilots at the end of 2010. We recalled about 130 voluntary furloughed pilots. The new hires were to replace Northwest pilots that retired early due to a buy-out program.

Your statements are gross over-estimates. They are false. We have 820 pilots hitting 65 by the end of 2017. 820 pilots in 6 years is not very many at a company our size. You really need to look at a crystal ball.

And you have all the answers.... No way all of these pilots will last until they reach 65. Many will bug out earlier.

Latest resources

Back