• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Upgrade

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What everyone has to realize with upgrades is that when (not if) Southwest goes FULL international with it's first wide body, the upgrades will drop to 5-7 years for everyone on the current list. Including all the Airtran guys.

It's the equivelant of looking at Delta in the early days before they went to Europe. The growth potential is off the map.

Southwest will already have 3200+ flights a day feeding a new international network. It's the best domestic to international feed in the nation, easily.

I think all the junior SW/AAI guys are in for a wild ride.

I hope you are right Red but IMHO the days of explosive growth are over. I have no doubt that LUV will grow but it will be more conservative and calculated.

What everyone has to realize with upgrades is that when (not if) Southwest goes FULL international with it's first wide body, the upgrades will drop to 5-7 years for everyone on the current list. Including all the Airtran guys.

It's the equivelant of looking at Delta in the early days before they went to Europe. The growth potential is off the map.

Southwest will already have 3200+ flights a day feeding a new international network. It's the best domestic to international feed in the nation, easily.

Throttle back clown.....you skygods can't even find Nassau yet on your schedule. Gary will probably merge/acquire somebody to do that flying...

You are lucky the AAI people are bringing some good experience to your airline because we all forget, you just turned on VNAV and autothrottles so yeah sure, the feds will probably hand over the keys to ETOPS because Gary asked them to.

Last edited:

My coffee jus shot out of my nose! Southwest to Europe? If you start, then
Ryanair and Easyjet will start, and that alone could sink that idea. It took you guys 30 years to introduce VNAV and autothrottles. The Airtran guys do have some international experience, but your management team has none, and you have no alliance partners that could assist you with gates, slots, and knowledge about each country. You keep touting Hawaii service too, and that will be a challenge, without ETOPS approval to go all the way. Yes, Sun Country goes to Europe with 738s, but they stop at Gander. And you're getting widebodies too? Which one? Your gameplan sounds as erratic as SWAPA's want list on the SLI.

OYS

Last edited:
Throttle back clown.....you skygods can't even find Nassau yet on your schedule. Gary will probably merge/acquire somebody to do that flying...

You are lucky the AAI people are bringing some good experience to your airline because we all forget, you just turned on VNAV and autothrottles so yeah sure, the feds will probably hand over the keys to ETOPS because Gary asked them to.

Wait, GK just placed a huge order with Papa John's.....

OYS

No, we have 2000 guys scheduled to go at 65 (they all won't stay that long, the former NWA guys still have full pensions) within the next 5 years, and 4000 total within the next 10 years. Southwest and Airtran will have 2 fleet types, compared to 9 at Delta. So, when a top SWA guy leaves, 4 people move up a seat (717 Capt goes to 737 Capt, 737 FO goes to 717 Capt, 717 FO moves up to higher paying 737 FO, and SWA has to hire into the 717 FO seat). Think what happens when a 744 or 777 Capt leaves Delta? The A330 or 764 Capt moves up to whale or 777 Capt, all the way down to newhire on the MD88. Unbelievable movement, and some years coming up here there are 800 or so scheduled retirements, in one year! How am I doing? Duh, WINNING! (thanks Charlie Sheen!).

Honestly, the movement will be slower at SWA compared to the Legacies. And, I am a lot happier now, not jealous. Good luck with that SLI.

OYS

You are being very optimistic with Delta. Very few pilots are retiring before they absolutely have to. The big retirements at Delta happen between 2020 and 2030. On the crystal ball, I'm showing hitting the 50 percent mark in 2024 (this assumes the list stays the same size which it won't, it is a shrinking list). I was hired in 2008 so that's a 16 year upgrade. I wouldn't call that a fantastic career or much better than a Southwest pilot.

Hockeypilot44

It's obvious the goal of OYS is not to portray a factual picture. It's what his goal appears on every Southwest thread he hijacks. To try and make Southwest look as bad as possible and Deltas as great as possible. Personally, I like both carriers but I work for one of them so I like them more. (skin in the game) I'm sure it's the same for him since he works for Delta.

Different game plans, different long term strategies. If talking about VNAV and ATS is all he's got then just let him keep ranting.

We also don't have a lick of experience in bankruptcy and furlough. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

You are being very optimistic with Delta. Very few pilots are retiring before they absolutely have to.
Age doesn't take affect for 2 years so how can you say very few pilots are retiring before they have to? You won't know this for about 4 years when 200 to 300 are facing mandatory retirement.

You are being very optimistic with Delta. Very few pilots are retiring before they absolutely have to. The big retirements at Delta happen between 2020 and 2030. On the crystal ball, I'm showing hitting the 50 percent mark in 2024 (this assumes the list stays the same size which it won't, it is a shrinking list). I was hired in 2008 so that's a 16 year upgrade. I wouldn't call that a fantastic career or much better than a Southwest pilot.

Nice factual post.

My coffee jus shot out of my nose! Southwest to Europe? If you start, then
Ryanair and Easyjet will start, and that alone could sink that idea. It took you guys 30 years to introduce VNAV and autothrottles. The Airtran guys do have some international experience, but your management team has none, and you have no alliance partners that could assist you with gates, slots, and knowledge about each country. You keep touting Hawaii service too, and that will be a challenge, without ETOPS approval to go all the way. Yes, Sun Country goes to Europe with 738s, but they stop at Gander. And you're getting widebodies too? Which one? Your gameplan sounds as erratic as SWAPA's want list on the SLI.

OYS

In all fairness it is true Airtran flies to Nassau. However, is that really a big deal? You can see it from the shore on a good day. Besides we might fly international but the company doesn't pay it as international because they do not consider it international. Lets be real and tell it like it is.

Latest resources

Back