• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to buy AirTran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, our most junior Capt is a Jun 01 hire date.
Yeah, it would be a very interesting integration to say the least. Hence why many of us would just prefer to stay on our own.

Well at least it would be a big QOL increase for all (reserve guys get 15 days off) and all the FO's would be making 6 figures ASAP. I don't think we will merge with anyone. I think Kelly is bargain shopping and looking for airlines in $$ trouble. But, everyone still says Air Tran is all the places we need to be. It will be an interesting year.

Well at least it would be a big QOL increase for all
Not for me. I like flying standups and spending every single day at home. I somehow doubt that SWA would continue to allow some of us to fly 1-2 legs a day and block 30 hours a month for 70 hours of pay.
and all the FO's would be making 6 figures ASAP.
That's all well and good, but I'd prefer to get paid a little less and not have to work as much. Money isn't everything.

mdf,

AirTran has the East Coast locked up pretty good. We have alot of presence in New York (SWF, HPN, LGA, EWR) IAD, DCA, PHL, BOS and also all over Florida (RSW, SRQ, FLL, MIA, MCO, DAB, JAX, TPA, PBI) and alot of gate space at ATL.... Not to mention really good revenue out of IND, FNT, BMI, etc.....

I've been saying for a while that we are a really good buyout target. We make money, we're very low cost, we've got a great route structure, low debt ratio, and we don't own much. Plus our stock is south of $10/share...

Well, I do think we did deserve a little more truth from both sides about what was coming. We were told we would shrink but not go away. If AirTran was the victor we were told we would continue at our current size and operation.The Southwest puppet who was put in charge of ATA holdings laid us off after being on the job for 3 days.
As far as the number of ATA guys hired I would wager that my number of 6-7 guys out of the pref interview is pretty acurate. Over the past three years I have no idea who has finally made the move over. Nothing against the pilots of WN. The management is smart and they got what they wanted.(MDW)

I'll take that wager on 6-7 guys total. More than that were hired here. I helped several myself.

I don't care what you were told by AirTran. The odds of Chico existing long term after the deal would not have been good. AirTran tried regional feed didn't like it and got out of it. That is probably what would have happened in MDW as well.

Denver center this afternoon:
"Citrus,traffic 12 o'clock"
"traffic in sight"
"Sw, traffic 12 o'clock"
their answer, "company in sight"
Do you guys at SW know something that we don't or are you just taking your dream for reality?

Denver center this afternoon:
"Citrus,traffic 12 o'clock"
"traffic in sight"
"Sw, traffic 12 o'clock"
their answer, "company in sight"
Do you guys at SW know something that we don't or are you just taking your dream for reality?

Not long ago some Citrus guys were saying the same thing about Midwest.

That's the problem with you SWA people... Why would you want to "do damage"? That means other people not on your property can't feed their kids or pay their alimony. Remember, we're all in this together... or at least, that's what I thought

LXAPilot,

This has nothing to do with "SWA People." I really don't mean this as callous as it probably sounds - but flying airplanes is a business. Airlines are in existence to make a profit - not to provide toys for pilots. They either grow or die. There will be winners and there will be losers.

It would be wonderfully altruistic to say that "we're all in this together" - but that is naive. Each airline and its respective pilot group will look after their own best interests - often at the expense of another group.

It would be wonderful if this was a true brotherhood - but it isn't.

It ain't gonna happen folks. Now, let's get down to real business...Patriots or Giants, Miller or Bud, Ford or Chevy? :beer:

It would be wonderful if this was a true brotherhood - but it isn't.
You're right. As long as people think like you do that we're all in competition with one another, we'll never be a true brotherhood.

Latest resources

Back