• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to buy AirTran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the ATA furloughees, they gonna get numbers too? Any thoughts considering we took the fall with the whole ATA/SWA thing?

If SWA buys ATA my bet is that the B757's will go with it.

You can't dominate the world with a B737. It's a lousy ETOPS airplane, no matter the series number. The real money in the HI flying is freight as well as pax. The B737 sucks and the B757 is great for that.

As far as the furloughees? Who knows. That's largely up to the purchaser, I guess.

Another thing to consider. If it is SWA, will they take pilots that don't have the B737 type or 1000 TPIC? We have both. We B737 captains, new ones, that don't have the time, yet.

Hi!

How is the 737-800/900 as far as ETOPS?

cliff
MKE

Hi!

How is the 737-800/900 as far as ETOPS?

cliff
MKE

Same cr@p. You have to run the APU the entire time you're "overwater." It doesn't have the payload or range the B757 does. It's also a little bit slower at M.79 campared to M.80-.81.

ATA's B737's frequently leave the mainland within 100 lbs. of MGTOW. To leave OGG or LIH for the mainland, during the warmer months, we have to use maxblast, flaps 25, all the wind, occasionally the alt. corrections and/or bleeds off T/O. And we still can be limited by payload! The B757 does it with relative ease. This largely due to the extra fuel we must carry for ETOPS Critical Fuel Scenarios and APU usage for 4-5 hours.

Kind of interesting going back and reading what people thought back then. Lear had some interesting thing to say and pcl was pissed about this back then also

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kind of interesting going back and reading what people thought back then. Lear had some interesting thing to say and pcl was pissed about this back then also

Eh, I would say I've mellowed on the idea. Certainly wouldn't have been my first choice, but I do think the combined company will be a powerhouse, and all pilots from both sides will be better off combined than separate. So no, I'm not pissed. I just hope everyone learns to get along after the SLI dust settles. No one needs another USAirways situation.

No one needs another USAirways situation.

And half of us don't need another Muse Air. Not my half thank goodness.

Latest resources

Back