• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest to buy AirTran...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA may buy Airtran in the future and it would make sense, but Alaska is trying its best to make a case for SWA to buy them instead.

Alaska probably believes it is Shark bait and will be bought in the future. I think they are making a strong case for that certain purchaser to be SWA.

They are rapidly moving to an all 737 fleet. They are active in RNP conversion alongside SWA. They are using the same vendor for wireless, etc.

Looks like Alaska doesn't want to be left out of the dance, and they are hoping to be courted by SWA if you ask me.

AirTran on the other hand is doing eveything but marketing themselves. They may find out that is a bad move. When Frontier is gone in Denver and SWA and Alaska merge, AirTran will probably be the next target, but not likely for a merger. SWA will probably go for the jugular and move into ATL in a big way. but stranger things have happened.

Maybe SWA will buy them both.

[. SWA will probably go for the jugular and move into ATL in a big way.

SWA would be lucky to get 2 gates in ATL.

That's the problem with you SWA people... Why would you want to "do damage"? That means other people not on your property can't feed their kids or pay their alimony. Remember, we're all in this together... or at least, that's what I thought

Activein RNP conversion alongside SWA ??? Are you kidding me? Alaska invented RNP, SWA is picking up Alaska's scrapps on that one. And the conversion to an all 737 fleet has nothing to do with SWA, unless SWA wants to change their entire business plan and add 737 800's and 900's to their fleet. Alaska would fight a takeover from SWA kicking and screaming... And SWA aint getting any gates in ATL anytime soon. AAI can't even get anymore gates right now... Im not saying SWA won't try to buy AK and AAI, its just your reasoning is way out there.... Go smoke another bong...

I gotta agree it ain't gonna happen. Tell me one merger or aquisition that didn't turn out badly or difficult, other than Morris...Southwest is doing too well at this juncture to throw it all away with a risky move...

Latest resources

Back