• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest "Poolie" calls are going out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So Gary is planning on violating one of the "prime directives" that contributed greatly to Southwest's dominating success?

I wonder if Herb is shaking his head while he pours another Wild Turkey.

Actually, Kelly already stated that he talked to Herb to get his opinion. SWA was already violating prime directives by looking into the 737-800. There has been many airlines in the past who stuck to their original business model only to watch everyone else pass them by. The best companys are able to change with the markets, and both current, and future demands. Every profitable airline has changed over the years. It is no different with SWA.

Glad to hear, and not to be a Debby Downer, but I have a question.

The Tranny has 88 717's (according to a MSM article so I don't assume accuracy on the number). Cleary, the "new" Southwest will liquidate those airplanes in rather short order after the deal closes. Doesn't that make the airline fat by several hundred pilots? I don't see 75 or so 737's sitting around available to replace those seats. I know (think?) they won't furlough but why would they hire new guys until they sort out staffing post-merger?

No flame. Just a serious question.

Don't worry, taken as a serious question.

My other option is to stick around the new United where I see a bigger glut of pilots and a culture that doesn't consider the person nearly as much as SWA does.

Life is a gamble. I see this as a safer bet although I understand others see it differently. I'll know in another 25 years or so.

Now why would any poolies be Airtran pilots? I mean the two companies are about equal. They are very minute differences according to some. Why make a lateral move? To answer your question though, a few of the poolies are Airtran. Several others have made the jump prior to them also. I just hope they dont get harmed with the SLI.

Now why would any poolies be Airtran pilots? I mean the two companies are about equal. They are very minute differences according to some. Why make a lateral move?
Same exact reason why people left WN in the 90s for every major airline out there.

Introducing a new fleet type is very costly. However having a fleet handed to you with everything set up (training, MX, support, FAA approvals, etc) is a different story. A fleet of 87 (possibly 25 more from Mexico) 717s is large enough to schedule efficiently.

For whats its worth this if from Boyd on the 717's:

The One-Fleet-Type Myth. Part of AirTran’s staying power in many markets is the B-717. Contrary to current media lore, WN views the -717 as a key asset in this purchase, not as some crazy aunt up in the rafters of the maintenance hangar. (The “one airplane type” has been a myth – there are material differences between the 737-300/500 and the 737-700. Until 2005, Southwest had a third type – the 737-200. Just because they all have “737” in the name, the veneer analysts assume it’s all one airplane. In the past, Southwest has also operated 727s, too.) Another myth is that the -717 for the first time gives WN a smaller-capacity airplane. Wrong again. In an all-economy configuration, the -717 will have approximately 120 – 125 seats. Just like Southwest’s 737-500s.

Latest resources

Back