Southwest Pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't feel bad, we all went through it.

There's 1000 different ways to fly the airplane. Eventually you'll find one you like.

Enjoy those fee drinks, you'll be surprised how fast probation is over!

Welcome aboard!

Throw all that gouge out. Just put the airport in the fix page, maintain a 3/1 plus 5mi to configure, and a couple of extra miles for Grandpa.

All of my bitching aside, i've had an absolute blast during my 2 months on line, and i've only done am's. The cpt's i've flown with have been more than willing to help me out and the atmosphere here is unlike any other airline i've dealt with.

Aww...thats the problem. Come over to the dark side and you won't have so many bound up tight Captains.

Just kidding. You'll get the hang of it. I know 5 miles might not seem like a big deal but at some high density airports like LAX that rely on minimal separation, slowing too soon could create a problem for a few others behind you. Don't take the Captains decisions too personally. Most all are just trying to do their job well also.

remember the CA is always right.....no matter what the book sez...:bomb:
Soon, I will be right all the time!!!! :nuts:

Being new at wn with less than 200 hrs on the 73, i'm finding it a little frustrating at times with the decent planning close the the field. 30+ miles out...no problem. From then on it feels like i'm constanly doing higher math and figuring when to start dirtying up. I'll call for flaps and the captain will say I don't need 'em. 5 seconds later..."you want flaps 5?" I tend to play it conservatively and get dirty and slow a bit early, but I still feel like i'm asking for gear and flaps half the time in the form of a question vs. a command. It'll come, but the learning curve's higher than I expected, expecially in the -700. Every trip get's easier and easier though. I think half the problem is, is that I have way too much gouge from captains i've flown with. My simple brain gets tangled up while cyphering through the mountains of gouge and flying the plane at the same time.

Have a talk with him quietly in the Jet-way. If it happens again, pull yourself from the trip and get a chief pilot involved.

I'd just suck it up and then order the expensive beer at the bar. It all evens out in the end. The plane lands safely and you get to drink good free beer. Everyone wins.

-Spartacus

Have a talk with him quietly in the Jet-way. If it happens again, pull yourself from the trip and get a chief pilot involved.

It's not what you think. They're not being dicks about it and I definately don't need to be getting the CP involved over a simple technique thing. In fact I welcome the advice. I think they're more apt to be like that after I explain that I'm a new guy and welcome any advice they could give, especially when it comes to close in benchmarks. The last thing I need is the reputation of the 2 month guy who cries the the CP over a captain who recommended a flap setting. No one has been even close to unbearable to fly with.

I'd just suck it up and then order the expensive beer at the bar. It all evens out in the end. The plane lands safely and you get to drink good free beer. Everyone wins.

-Spartacus

Probation has its advantages. No matter what it's like in the cockpit, they always buy the beers, God love 'em.

Hey Clark. This approach never fails.

Point the jet toward the end of the runway at 250kts. When, out of the corner of your eye, you see the captain slowly moving his hand toward your side of the cockpit say........

"Damn we're high. Landing gear down!"

Gup

Probation has its advantages. No matter what it's like in the cockpit, they always buy the beers, God love 'em.

Unfortunately, not always. Spent $3 of my own money a couple of times. They make $3 a minute and cant hook a probie up. Life aint fair!!

Latest resources

Back