• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being new at wn with less than 200 hrs on the 73, i'm finding it a little frustrating at times with the decent planning close the the field. 30+ miles out...no problem. From then on it feels like i'm constanly doing higher math and figuring when to start dirtying up. I'll call for flaps and the captain will say I don't need 'em. 5 seconds later..."you want flaps 5?" I tend to play it conservatively and get dirty and slow a bit early, but I still feel like i'm asking for gear and flaps half the time in the form of a question vs. a command. It'll come, but the learning curve's higher than I expected, expecially in the -700. Every trip get's easier and easier though. I think half the problem is, is that I have way too much gouge from captains i've flown with. My simple brain gets tangled up while cyphering through the mountains of gouge and flying the plane at the same time.

On the -800 I've been using this gouge for a long time and I adjust it as the situation requires:
Downwind 230 knots
Base 210 knots
Final 180 knots

I look at the ND and the airport to determine where I should be descent-wise and adjust accordingly with the use of flaps, spoilers and gear. After 6+ years on the airplane, I'm starting to figure it out... barely...

Probation has its advantages. No matter what it's like in the cockpit, they always buy the beers, God love 'em.

Not always! There are those guys out there who are as tight as Ferris Bueller's friend, Cameron. You know, the ole lump of coal story.

Hey Clark. This approach never fails.

Point the jet toward the end of the runway at 250kts. When, out of the corner of your eye, you see the captain slowly moving his hand toward your side of the cockpit say........

"dang we're high. Landing gear down!"

Gup

Known as the Captain heisman!

I ordered a $6 dollar beer in SAN the other day. Apparantly we don't get discounts on fine locally crafted microbrew pints. Ooops. To top it off, I just got back from a 12 mile run and pounded it like water. The cpt still picked up the tab...yeah, i felt like a real winner.

Man am I glad I read this post. I noticed the gear coming down all the time on my legs without me doing anything. It happened everytime I looked out the window or fell asleep on final. I thought it was some new automatic gear extension system to avoid gear up landings.

Whatever you do don't do that!

You could always accuse him of sexual harrasment if he refuses to put the flaps out. When he looks at you and says ."What the FUc% are you talking about" Tell him/her "there aren't witnesses up here or at the bar last night. You remember what happened, right? You touched me inapprorpriately" That'll getem to put those flaps out.:laugh:

Ok, enough is enough. I'm totally kidding.

Clark:

Thanks for the insight of what things will be like fresh off the dock next month. Oh the fun times I shall have jumping through my arse.

Latest resources

Back