Southwest Pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no more than 500fpm while extending flaps in our FOM

its not in there anymore. was always BS anyway.

its not in there anymore. was always BS anyway.

Not B.S... The technique is to keep guys from using the flaps as a speedbrake. If you lower the flaps, slow to the manuevering speed for that setting. If you are descending, the idea is to descend at no more than 500 fpm until you reach that speed... at that point, you can descend at whatever rate you like.

Of couse, that only works in a perfect world, but it is a good target to aim for.

Not B.S... The technique is to keep guys from using the flaps as a speedbrake. If you lower the flaps, slow to the manuevering speed for that setting. If you are descending, the idea is to descend at no more than 500 fpm until you reach that speed... at that point, you can descend at whatever rate you like.

Of couse, that only works in a perfect world, but it is a good target to aim for.

Ok...back to that making no sense at all...

What does descent rate have to do with anything? Uh...nothing? Why would descending at no more than 500 fpm make a difference with flap speed?

Well, the answer is: nothing. But thanks for playing.

It's funny, I was right without ever even seeing your manual.

Last edited:
its BS. Using the flaps to slow, who cares, thats what they are for. We don't live in a perfect world. As long as your below Boeings speeds, your fine.

Next time a check airman talks BS, make him show you in the book. To many Captain's liv'in in the past. Open the book every once in awhile.

Call for them and when they say no or not yet... reply "Ok then you set flaps to 5 when you want to." Or "IF I try to fly the airplane like you want me to, it will just f-me up so it might be better if you just give me flaps 5, now"

That's exactly what I try to say, but being on probation it usually comes out something like this. . . . "yes sir".

If the flap speed for the particular flap setting desired is obtained then regardless of the decent rate selection of that setting is OK. Flap selection speed is a structural design limit and shouldn't be exceeded, it is not a function of decent rate and if it is could someone point that out to me?

I actually took on this check airman about this issue and his only defense was it was in the book. I looked it up and indeed he was correct and I simply had to drop it. Now that it has changed I wonder if he still rants about it to others.

RJ

Ok...back to that making no sense at all...

What does descent rate have to do with anything? Uh...nothing? Why would descending at no more than 500 fpm make a difference with flap speed?

Well, the answer is: nothing. But thanks for playing.

It's funny, I was right without ever even seeing your manual.

Wow, thats really impressive. You must be some kind of aerodynamacyst.

Wow, thats really impressive. You must be some kind of aerodynamacyst.

He is an Aerodynamicist... but an "aerodynamacyst" he is not. And it should be 'that is' instead of "thats." Sure you didn't mess your logbook up to get that alleged 6k?

Latest resources

Back