• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest Pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's up with droppin the gear out on approach with a clean wing??? Flown many airlines only seen this interesting manuver done on SWA!

Most times that it happens.. it's abnormal...I.E. left too high by appch control. or given an assignment like " maintain max forward speed until *.* DME"

Or if a company has a culture of always flying as fast as possible

Why can't you use flaps and speed brakes simultaneously?

our company doesn't prohibit it from 1-10 flaps, but it's not recommended. the airframe limitation is no speedbrakes with flaps 15 or greater (i think it's 15...someone else can crack the book on that).

company says it stresses the airframe with the combined forces of flaps & speedbrakes. seems like it would beat up the wing, but it is still in regular use on the flight line. i try to avoid it, but sometimes it's the only way to get the job done. i'm not dropping the gear 100 miles from the airport to hit a fix or expedite the rate. i do try to use flaps only in the terminal environment. some guys frown on it because it probably uses more gas during level flight, but i don't like flying very nose high in bumpy air close to the ground.

for what it's worth...

Power Ranger who are you kidding. You might want to look at your qualifications before you speak out!

Hahaha...I was being rather sardonic in nature with that post. You know tongue in cheek. I'm hardly an A.Net kid or "instructordude". And definately not here to pretend to know it all or tell professional airline pilots how to do their job. I'm here to learn and soak up knowledge.

I might be a new breed here!

i do try to use flaps only in the terminal environment. some guys frown on it because it probably uses more gas during level flight, but i don't like flying very nose high in bumpy air close to the ground.

for what it's worth...

That is yet another "Southwestism" I see when I fly them. Flaps out nose high attitude on approach gear stowed. I'm more then guessing that,that is another way to fly slow. Reminds me of slow flight ina 172!

Full airplane with winglets and ATC wants you to keep speed up as long as possible and descend = get ready for the goodyears. LAS LAX SJC ABQ are my most common ones for the gear and clean wing.

That is yet another "Southwestism" I see when I fly them. Flaps out nose high attitude on approach gear stowed. I'm more then guessing that,that is another way to fly slow. Reminds me of slow flight ina 172!

I have flown this same airplane at three different airlines and another boeing at yet another airline and don't see any difference in the way its flown.

Next question youngster?

I have flown this same airplane at three different airlines and another boeing at yet another airline and don't see any difference in the way its flown.

Next question youngster?

Whaaaa...??? I never said anything about differences in the way the 73 is flown. Read the title of the thread again. I LUV WN...not a hater!

this place is turning into airliners.net

No if this was A.NET the questions would be stupider or I'd have given a trip report.

Two friends of mine fly for airlines.

One told me an A.NET nerd came to the cockpit and interrogated him & the captain when they landed in CLT. He had a JEP plate in his hand ans grilled them why they didn't land on rnwy XX. Because he had landed on every runway at CLT but that specific one. He them stormed of the plane in a fit.

My other friend said that when he was parked at the gate smiling and saying "goodbye,goodbye". That an A.NET nerd came up to him and told him he waited to long to put in flaps 45 and drop the gear. And tried to quote him his company SOP!

Now that is A.net. This,this is fightinfo.com. And nope that wasn't a typo!

Latest resources

Back