Southwest Pilots Aggressively Push Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sandman2122 said:
How would you like it to board a SWA flight and have a 76 year old great grandpa as your Captain? I doubt any "senior citizen" will fly 5-7 legs a day.......or 800 hours annually.........

I'm voting NO.

Neither does any "Senior" SWA Captain. Many work as little as possible and play the "pick-up, give-away" game to the fullest. If working till 65 was hard at SWA, you wouldn't see anyone pushing for it. And that my friend, is the bottom line.

Not for the age 65 rule? Go to Capitol Hill and promote your cause!!! My hat's off to those who make things happen!!

Last edited:
If these guys would get a decent pension, they wouldn't need to work until 65. C'mon guys, get a fu##ing pension so you won't have to screw up everyone else's life. I can't believe you fools want to keep flying past 60.....

canyonblue said:
Neither does any "Senior" SWA Captain. Many work as little as possible and play the "pick-up, give-away" game to the fullest. If working till 65 was hard at SWA, you wouldn't see anyone pushing for it. And that my friend, is the bottom line.

Canyon, you've crystalized my thoughts perfectly.

I'd give a shiny new dime to know the inner-thinkings of Mr. Gary Kelly about the underlying productivity issues that are afoot in a potential retirement change. (Not to mention, the relative increase in labor costs due to a higher proportion of senior captains staying on the payroll, versus lower seniority, lesser-paid pilots.)

F-dude,
>>C'mon guys, get a fu##ing pension so you won't have to screw up everyone else's life.<<

I could truly give a rat's about age 60 but I would fight a pension with my dying breath. That is insanity. A DB pension is a financial marriage to your company and every idiot that ever runs it, buys it, merges it, leverages it, for the 30 odd years of a career and the 30 odd years of retirement afterward. Your financial future could be in the hands of the next Lorenzo who was in diapers when you were earning it.
For that matter you are still on the hook for every idiot union move that negotiates your benefits away when you're gone and can't vote.
A DB pension is also a 30-40 year timebomb on any company. Once they have more people on the payroll who aren't working than are working, they are forced to terminate it and start over to compete with the startups who don't have any liability yet. It gives the upstarts a built in advantage and it is a huge incentive for the company to consider bankruptcy.

SWA puts more money into our plans than they would if we had a DB plan. The money is ours to do with as we please and as much as I admire the company, I don't want my retirement security in Colleen's hands. While I am working I can invest it as conservatively or aggresively as I choose. When I leave, I can lump sum if I want or I can buy any annuity package I desire. The company, its creditors, nor its preditors, can't touch a dime of it.

Our system is better for the employees and better for the company, which in its own right is also better for the employees.

The sooner the legacy guys get off the pension trainwreck, and get money into secure vehicles, the better off they will be.

Last edited:
furloughed dude said:
If these guys would get a decent pension, they wouldn't need to work until 65. C'mon guys, get a fu##ing pension so you won't have to screw up everyone else's life. I can't believe you fools want to keep flying past 60.....

Thanks for the advice....tell ya what...you do whats best for you at your house...and we'll take care of things at our house.

Tejas

furloughed dude said:

When were you furloughed, 1979? Have you kept up with the industry? Pensions? We're getting those after we get scope on the Eastern codeshare. Get out of the time capsule. :puke:

Hey furloughed dude...where is your DB pension? Maybe you guys are jealous cus you didn't fight nearly as hard to save your pension as they are to change age 60.

Haven't been furloughed for some time now, and yes, I do have a pension at my company. A real retirement, unlike your company. Also better wages and I don't fly 6 legs a day....

furloughed dude said:
............and I don't fly 6 legs a day....

Neither do most Southwest pilots. You need some new material.:puke:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back