• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest evaluates -800's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If we could do it all over again, one payscale would make total sense.....UPS has something going there......

Just curious why hiring would not resume/begin if additional airplanes were added to the SWA ramp. Of course I could be missing something but I am indeed wondering.

Just curious why hiring would not resume/begin if additional airplanes were added to the SWA ramp. Of course I could be missing something but I am indeed wondering.

They will be replacing older 737-300s, and these 738s would just be a change of order for original new 737-700s. Gary Kelly said a small net gain of planes in 2011, and none through 2012 I believe. But, one thing is for sure with the possible new 738s at Southwest----LBB will be even prouder of their "hometown" airline. LBB tower may even call the new birds "heavies" just to give those SWA guys an ego boost.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
LBB will be even prouder of their "hometown" airline. LBB tower may even call the new birds "heavies" just to give those SWA guys an ego boost.

I just KNEW that was your wife on board last week!

Gup

Because SWA may retire their classics as they bring the -800's on line...in fact, conventional wisdom suggests that that is exactly what they'll do. Decrease the fleet age (and get rid of those re-skinned 300's), decrease the # of pilots you need AND increase ASM's.

Only thing mentioned thus far is converting -700 orders to -800s. Many of the existing -700 orders were -300/-500 replacements, anyway.

It allows us to carry more passengers w/o adding airframes or pilots-

But by that logic we should be flying 1900's- then we'd have lots of pilots. Though w/o the tongue in cheek- it is a good argument for
canadairs.

I want the company to buy the right airplane for the job we're doing now- -800's/-300
s/ 787's or canadajets or airbus- just make the best choice -make $$ and we'll be alright

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back