Southwest DIA, Frontier>DONE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fox51ramprat said:
What makes you so sure? Is it Frontier, United, AA?

Southwest survives on O&D traffic, with UA and F9 there isn't enough O&D to go around. UA serves the business side of the house and F9 serves the leisure. Both with a better product.

Skyboss said:
Southwest survives on O&D traffic, with UA and F9 there isn't enough O&D to go around. UA serves the business side of the house and F9 serves the leisure. Both with a better product.

It is about fares, it has always been about $$$. Neither of those two carriers can compete with SWA on Price. Maybe if they plan ahead but not on last minute fares.

You anti SWA guys act like you have heard our CEO and Managers all sit around and plan the demise of other airlines. I have been at SWA just over 5 years, hope to upgrade in a year or two. Never have I heard once how SWA would survive only by the demise of others. Herb has always said it is ours to lose. We have built the low cost plan, and have to make it stay to survive.

We have a proven business plan, we have a solid balance sheet (contrary to some earlier post, we have an enviable balance sheet.) , we have a management and employee relationship that, outside of a few scrapes with recent contract negs., allows for the big picture to be painted using the realities of the financial mess this industry is in. Short of a few arrogant pilots on internet boards (not pointing fingers, but they are everywhere) nobody at SWA wants to see F9, B6, or anyone else go out of business. We have friends and family at those airlines, and would gladly slap someone upside the head for wishing them ill. It is totally frustrating at times to think that taxpayers are footing the bill for poor management, and those poor management entities are still allowed to compete on our dimes. The employees of those companies suffer, their competitors are hobbled, and the golden parachutes fill the sky.

Southwest didnt get where it is today by fumbling the ball. Management has a darn well proven playbook, a great team that is here to work, and a nose for making money. If other airlines were so sharp, why werent they hedgeing? Because it takes cash. Why did SWA have cash, because they managed for it. The rehashing of the hedge in here is almost as false as those who still think that JetBlue doesnt pay for planes.....its just false, we still would have made money.

Stones are always going to be thrown at those that are realizing success. For 34 years this company has enjoyed some level of success. I am glad that I got the chance to work here and share in it. There will always be those who wish for SWA to fall, and someday it might. If it does however, it wont be because of the stones you threw, it will be because our people have resigned themselves to be like those who have failed before, not to care about cost, not to care about customer service, not to manage in good times for bad, making bad management decisions. It will be ours to lose, not someone elses to take away. Nobody took Uniteds golden ring, their leaders just stopped polishing it. USAIR also. Any of them could still be viable with a real plan.

Flame away, but the words are true....they are public recorded facts. I personally think that if Frontier is true to their product, and their service, they have as good a chance as any to survive and thrive. We bring more people to the airport. Its a fact.

Best of luck to all that make a living in this God awful business.

fox51ramprat said:
It is about fares, it has always been about $$$. Neither of those two carriers can compete with SWA on Price. Maybe if they plan ahead but not on last minute fares.

That's why you're a ramp rat. It's not just about fares.

1BigRodeo said:
You anti SWA guys act like you have heard our CEO and Managers all sit around and plan the demise of other airlines.

Have you seen the California corridor lately?

"Pricing is Southwest's big advantage," notes Frontier spokesman Joseph Hodas. "Take that away, and what do they have?"

Accumulating mileage on United allows passengers to fly all over the world, while on Southwest, "you can go to Lubbock or Amarillo," Mr. Donohue snipes.

Trash talking before the big game usually gets you b!tch slapped by the coach. They have treated us without any respect, and I pray it comes to haunt them now. :angryfire

canyonblue said:
Trash talking before the big game usually gets you b!tch slapped by the coach. They have treated us without any respect, and I pray it comes to haunt them now. :angryfire

Kinda the price you pay when you decimate them on trunck routes that were once profitable enough to support their network so they can provide service to the little guy in Minot. Because in the end, regardless your opinion of network carriers, they actually do care enough to serve everyone.

Skyboss said:
they actually do care enough to serve everyone.

Ok, now you steal the Hard Rock Cafe mantra......."Love All - Serve All."

Latest resources

Back