Southwest Airlines Reports Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, nope and nope.

General I turned down a job offer with Delta in 2000.

I still have the letter from Plato Ryhne welcoming me to the Delta family.

That is fantastic, and it is really fantastic you OWN a learjet. Wow. Maybe Plato Ryhne can be your FO.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Gup, what did you expect from someone approaching 12,000 posts? The kicker is that he is married. Too much time on the laptop means she is not on his lap or those exotic layovers aren't so exotic (maybe LBB is more fun). Take your pick.

Cheers to all the SWA folks, always real nice.

Yes, I did all of the 12,000 posts ONLY on layovers, and I stayed in the room, crying in the corner at the same time...... yeah, that's the ticket.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't even know who you are General Lee, but that's a pathetic number of posts. Why don't you do some volunteer work, or learn to play guitar or something?

It seems that you spend hours and hours each day just trying (and succeeding) in irritating people. Is that a valid life's goal?

There might be some, but I can't recall ever seeing a post from you that actually added information to a conversation. So 12,000 posts of...nothing.

Profit sharing, who cares, I get 12% from big brown whether they make the normal 1 billion or less like less Qt of 820 mill. The problem with your retirement is its tide to profit sharing (minus 7% 401K, which every fortune 1000 corp offers, so nothing big there), thus if things ever go south over half of your retirement savings goes with it. You guys need to get a b-fund and get rid of profit sharing so when the day come (and I hope it doesn't) and profits slip or go into the red your still covered. Remember we are only one president away from a new war, one CEO away from some bad decisions that sink companies etc.

Hey General, I got an idea. I will post my name, phone number and SWA employee number here if you will do the same with your information. Let's see who is hiding behind a screen name. I bet you won't do it because you like being a shadow and don't really want people to know who you are. You would be ashamed of who you are. Look in the mirror, P*ssy.

Andy...Thanks for taking the time to respond...more than a few of us enjoy your posts.

Just remember this is the same guy that started a hedgefund. The same type of fund that has been blamed for helping us get in this mess. If i were you I wouldnt take economic advuce from someone that posts on FI.

At certain times of the year there is an influx of information on companies and their stocks. There is always news coming out on the many companies, but this particular time is referred to as earnings season. The news covers everything from earnings to future prospects of the company. To profit in the volatile markets we must watch the earnings and what the company says about the future prospects for the company and the economy going forward. It is interesting to see how shares trade in the first hour of trading on days like this, and it could help determine if it is a good potential investment opportunity. (To begin with the basics, check out Strategies For Quarterly Earnings Season.)

OAS_AD('RightMiddle'); //

Today we'll take a closer look at the earnings releases and market reaction for: Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV), Baxter International (NYSE:BAX) and Continental Airlines (NYSE:CAL).

Southwest Airlines Posts a Loss
For the first time in 17 years Southwest has reported its first quarterly loss. Most of the loss was related to the write down of $247 million because of fuel hedging contracts that became losses when the price of fuel fell dramatically. When you take out the one-time charge the company earned 9 cents per share compared with the consensus estimate of 7 cents per share according to Thompson Reuters. Revenue beat analyst forecasts of $2.83 billion by coming in at $2.89 billion. Revenue was up from last year's $2.59 billion. Also the airline reported that it will start flights to Minneapolis in a time when many other carries are canceling flights.

What all of this tell us is that in the face of many challenges Southwest is still continuing to push forward. Yes, it did have a one-time write off related to fuel hedging; however, when you take the write off out of the results the company is continuing to deliver stronger than expected earnings in a challenging economic environment. Shares of Southwest were at $11.79, up 23 cents within the first hour of trading and closed the day up 94 cents at $12.50

If ya'll want, we'll call a spade a spade. We LOST money this quarter. However, as gas gets cheaper, we'll all do better. One thing nice about SWA, is that 99% of us are confident that our mgmt has everyone's best interest in mind as we press on. The issue is not that we lost money, it's what we do in the future to make sure it does not happen again soon. Once every 17 yrs. does not suck.

Last edited:
The problem with your retirement is its tide to profit sharing (minus 7% 401K, which every fortune 1000 corp offers, so nothing big there), thus if things ever go south over half of your retirement savings goes with it. .

Please educate yourself moron. A pension would be so much better.:puke:

So what's this all about?

Southwest plans for its first capacity cut ever

Greg Laslo

10/17/2008​
Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told analysts during a conference call yesterday that, for the first in his 23 years at the company, the airline will reduce its capacity during first-quarter 2009, and he said the airline could have less capacity for the full year, which would also be a first, the USA Today reported today.
Kelly said that, given the volatility in oil prices and the current economic troubles, the airline faces "an environment where it makes no sense to be growing."
The airline will begin cutting capacity beginning in January. Kelly said first-quarter capacity will drop 5 percent to 6 percent versus first-quarter 2008.
While he suggested that capacity for all of 2009 could be off by a similar amount, he said no decisions have been made yet beyond the first quarter.
Southwest has been the USA's most-profitable carrier over the past decade.

Latest resources

Back