SouthernAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ironspud said:
True. But they only work if the engines stay attached to the airplane.

I hope they always fall off as they were suposed to do. Because I don't wanna have a uncontroled engine fire with 200+ thousand pounds of jetfuel on my wings and the engine still attached.

T-Gates said:
I wasn't under the impression that the engine that fell off was on fire though....

You're right it wasn't, but at least now we know the system actualy works.
Plus Kalitta was not the first nor the last one to lose an emgine that way.
Also acording to averyone on board didn't make any difference in flight.
What you fly BTW?

Actually the engine had a pre-existing crack internally near the aft mount on the turbine section. It let go(the engine mount was still intact) the engine pivoted aft end down then went forward up and over the wing since it was still making some power. The crew didn't notice any handling difficulty and initially thought it was just regular engine failure. The engines are designed to come off if overtorqued (sudden stoppage could do it) to prevent further structural damage, though this is clearly not the case here.
As for Southern, you guys work too much,some come to Connie world and like it better. The ones that leave to go to Southern have been fired. As for Atlas I would love to have a pay scale even close to theirs.

More Southern Air info !!!!!!!!

Hello from Seoul, Incheon IAP, South Korea...........here is some more infor on Southern Air from some PM's that were sent to me..........................

Address:

Southern Air
117 Glover Ave
Norwalk, Connecticut 06850
Corporate: (203) 847-6000
FAX: (336) 847-9612

www.southernair.com

Names:

Judy Ackley - HR director - FAX - (203) 846-8130
Dave Thiel - Chief Pilot
VP- Operations - Mike Hartley

Crew makeup:

Most of the senior Captains and senior F/E's are former Southern Air Transport (SAT) guy's and flew the C-130, B-707, DC-8 and the B-747; appx. 25 people. All have extensive international experience in Africa and the like; flying "cabbage and cabbage launchers", etc !!!!!. They have some stories to tell !!!! A few odd balls, but a good bunch.

Perhaps the largest group of the crew mix are former furloughed Evergreen, Atlas-Polar, Emery and TWA guys. All have heavy jet types like the B-747, DC-8, L-1011, B-757/767 and B-727, etc. and all have intensive international experience. A very good bunch of people.

The next largest group are former heavy jet corporate guys who flew G-2's,G-3's, etc and B-727, B-737 and Challenger corporate closure dudes with international experience and the like.

The next large group are students who bought there B-747 types at Aeroservice and are given the first dibs on interviews and and hirings, but are not guaranteed a job !!!!! with the type rating.

The last group are former commuter/regional jet guys on furlough from vartious carriers with glass cockpit and international experienced.

There is a class that started on Monday January 31st, appx. 12 people. All are Aeroservice students buying there B-747 types and Southern has offered them first dibs on interviews and possible hiring when class is finished.

The last class that is now schedlued is now for appx. mid-late February and that will bring up the crew staffing to levels that will fill up all the new seats opening up when a/c 5 and 6 show up on line for late summer 2006.

That's it. I am once again, not a sunshine pump - take it for what it is worth.
Right now with all the bloodletting and carnage in the passenger sector, cargo right now is not a bad place to be.

I am a former passenger pilot and I am treated far better hear than I was at my former legacy carrier. I am happy to be here at Southern.

Again; not the best and far from the worst. Best wishes.

1800rvr.

Last edited:
bombinha said:
I hope they always fall off as they were suposed to do. Because I don't wanna have a uncontroled engine fire with 200+ thousand pounds of jetfuel on my wings and the engine still attached.

Sounds like Connie is a mentor to someone...

There is a class that started on Monday January 31st, appx. 12 people. All are Aeroservice students buying there B-747 types and Southern has offered them first dibs on interviews and possible hiring when class is finished.

You sure about them being PFT? There may be a couple of them in there that are, but I don't think they all are. I have a buddy starting in the Feb 13 class, and none of them are PFT. And, he got his paperwork today, they are all Southern employees when they start class, which is long before the Jan 31 crowd is done. So, who will be senior?

Anyways, I'll get the story on Sunday when I get down there for class.

Andy

and how much extra do crews make for putting up SAT stickers all over Asia?

T-Gates said:
The system's purpose is for the engine to shear off at random points in time? You lost me there.....

You're right, AA had a DC-10 loose an engine off the wing....with less than stellar results. And El Al lost one on a Classic 747 which promptly took out it's neighboring engine, causing it to crash into an apartment building in Amsterdam.

I'm going to say the loss of thrust, and drag from a whole engine mounted on the outbard of the wing might have some slight effect on flight.

The reason AA lost that DC-10 over Chicago had nothing to do with loss of thrust or drag. It had everything to do with their training. Their training specified that when you lose an engine, you're IMMIDEATELY to fly v2. They were approx 30-40 knots above v2 when they lost their engine- when the PF pulled up the nose to slow to v2, he stalled the wing.

Don't forget- transport category aircraft are certified to fly with a positive rate of climb even with the loss of an engine. Yes, even if it falls off. (Which, if you think about it, would lessen the drag coefficient)

Don't remember the El Al flight, but it seems that that was just bad luck, to have one engine fly into another.

He stalled the wing because when the engine went over the top of the wing, the slats retracted on that wing due to hydraulic lines being cut.

Latest resources

Back