Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kalita Air Junkyard

DrProc said:
Sounds like Connie is a mentor to someone...
Kalitta Air Junkyard is an understatement for this man's outfit. He does not care for his crewmembers, neither the aircraft they fly. And I speak from experience.

As previously mentioned by another pilot, it's not the best but by far it is the worst. I think Kalitta fits that position.

All the best.
Bat21

1800rvr said:
The company puts crews in 5 star hotels everywhere we go, and full meal catering on all flights. All crewmembers are home based and everyone gets airline tickets to trip start destination and return to home base and 50% deadhead pay for the flight. You can keep all your airlines and hotel miles.

5 Star everywhere we go? I have to call BS on that one 1800RVR.

Since when is that filthy Hampton Inn in ATL or the Wingate in DFW a five star or the aiport Ramada in China we use????

Last edited:
The AA DC10 incident happened because someone thought it would be easier to take the engine and the pylon of the wing. The way they did it resulted in a few stressed bolts that on that fatal flight broke.
El Al lost the first engine because of cracked shear bolts. That engine rolled along the wing knocking the other one of too. The resulting damage and loss of hydraulics were just a little too much.
Not very long after that Kalitta dropped an engine in lake Michigan. Also broken shear bolts.

metrodriver said:
Not very long after that Kalitta dropped an engine in lake Michigan. Also broken shear bolts.

14 years is not very long? Maybe not for a tortoise!

Anyway, the Kalitta deal was not the same. A P&W overhauled exhaust case was installed about 100 hours prior to the event. The new case broke at the aft attach point and the engine dropped onto the forward mount, which separated by design. A section of the broken case was still attached to the aft mount.

weasel_lips said:
5 Star everywhere we go? I have to call BS on that one 1800RVR.

Since when is that filthy Hampton Inn in ATL or the Wingate in DFW a five star or the aiport Ramada in China we use????

Five Stars? That might be a bit of a stretch. Especially in ATL and DFW. I can honestly say I have only been in 2 “close to” 5 star hotels. HKG and DBX. We no longer stay at the ATL Hampton. For the most part the hotels are good, clean, quiet places. My only gripe with the DFW hotel is: NO BAR!

For those not on the property some interesting info. The SAI flight crews formed up an informal “Crew Group”. They started a “dialogue” with the company with the primary focus (ouch) to improve QOL issues. Especially the 20 day issue. Pay was backburner because everyone knew how the owner felt about that issue. The talks were a bit rocky at first, but actually went quite well after that.

What surprised all of us was the outcome. Right now there is an agreement in concept on many issues. But basically it goes for 5 years. Pay increase of 5% upon acceptance and another at year 3. Per Diem from $2 to $2.25 at year 2 and to $2.50 at year 4. As always, the devil will be in the details when this is all incorporated in the GOM (which we will vote on). As far as the 20 day issue goes: it did not change, but a “rig” system was devised that gets us to 70 hours if we are out the whole 20 days (more efficient scheduling). Guarantee is still 60.

Focus pay is still a bit better per hour, but SAI pays on a 30 day cycle and not 60. Unlike Focus SAI pays actual block flown and not the scheduled wheels up to wheels down. Home basing is here to stay, so we get flown to work. True: first year no DH pay (and it does add up), however Per Diem starts/ends with the commute.

Candidates to left seat can expect a tighter “screening” process in the future. I think that right now the junior Captain in training is a Sep or Oct 05 hire.

I have not heard that the Jan/Feb classes were PFT. I don’t think so. SAI learned their lesson the hard way and no longer “types”. In the past, PFT candidates were a 50/50 proposition. SAI had 2. One passed IOE and one didn’t.

Can you stay out more than 20 days? I flunked bidding once. It happens. Just turn your underpants inside out.

All in all, we were surprised at the company’s willingness to work with the Crew Group. But when you lose 5 well qualified Captains in a week to a competitor I guess the bells start going off.

The “sunshine pump”, Mr. 1800 (just joking) has pretty well summed up the rest.

Last edited:
lifestyle in MIA question

John Galt speaks! Seems like you should be working for "Giant"...

Anyway, I have a totally unrelated question for you MIA folks. Please feel free to direct me to a more appropriate thread if you know of one.

I'm thinking about moving to MIA but I'm worried about the traffic. Not so much for myself (working the frtdog sked) but my wife isn't too excited about that part of South FL life. Any suggestions?

Also, anybody have any advice about liveaboard slips/marinas in South Florida? Key Largo works, too.

Does anyone have information about the new hire training for Southern Air? I would like to get how long, how many days a week and more. Thank you so much for any help that I can get.

Jimmy

Hello, sorry about the late reply; just got in from Shanghai.

1 week of indoc (40 hours) in Miami at Aeroservice building with SA instructors, 2 weeks (80 hours) ground school on a/c systems, followed by a systems final.

1 week of CPT cockpit trainer time appx. 12 hours, followed by 6 sim sessions in the 747 simulator, w/ a checkride, followed by a LOFT, and then assignment to a line IOE check airman for enroute IOE in the aircraft.

Expect to be in Miami appx.45 days. best wishes; see you on the line. Remember, SA is not the best and far from the worst operator............so take it for what it is worth to you.

1800rvr.

1800rvr said:
Expect to be in Miami appx.45 days. best wishes; see you on the line. Remember, SA is not the best and far from the worst operator............so take it for what it is worth to you.

1800rvr.

Who exactly is the worst?

SA is far from the best and close to the worst would be more accurate.

Latest resources

Back