• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SouthernAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When you say close to the worst, what catagory are you speaking of? If you are comparing us to FEDEX then yes it sucks here..........your right. If you are comparing us to ATLAS or POLAR or WORLD..........yea I would agree that they pretty much got us beat in most of the important things that we as pilots want (not by that much though).......other than a quick upgrade (9 months). But if you compare SA to the likes of Kalitta, Gemini, Traidwinds, Evergreen, or ATI I think SA compares pretty well, and believe it or not they are actually improving. Granted this place stunk pretty bad when I started a few years back, but the newly formed association in unison with the company are making changes for the better(pay raise, QOL improvements.) It's a step in the right direction, which is far better than a step in the wrong one which we are seeing industry wide. If you can tolerate being gone an average of 16 days a month on the road straight (Sometimes more and sometimes less...that is the average) it's not a bad pace to be. If you need anymore info let me know. Please do not succumb to the folks that don't know. I don't recall ANYBODY saying that SA was the best place to work.

Last edited:
mrvmo and 1800rvr: I recognize that there's no "typical" schedule (anymore than there's anything like a typical schedule in military airlift). So instead, could you tell us what your last trip(s) looked like? Where to, how long on the ground at each stop, did you deadhead on a company jet or pax airline anywhere? Thanks,

a quick ?

I know that Southern is homebased and isn't CASS, but do they have jumpseat privileges with other 121 carriers? Just curious...

mrvmo said:
When you say close to the worst, what catagory are you speaking of? If you are comparing us to FEDEX then yes it sucks here..........your right. If you are comparing us to ATLAS or POLAR or WORLD..........yea I would agree that they pretty much got us beat in most of the important things that we as pilots want (not by that much though).......other than a quick upgrade (9 months). But if you compare SA to the likes of Kalitta, Gemini, Traidwinds, Evergreen, or ATI I think SA compares pretty well, and believe it or not they are actually improving. Granted this place stunk pretty bad when I started a few years back, but the newly formed association in unison with the company are making changes for the better(pay raise, QOL improvements.) It's a step in the right direction, which is far better than a step in the wrong one which we are seeing industry wide. If you can tolerate being gone an average of 16 days a month on the road straight (Sometimes more and sometimes less...that is the average) it's not a bad pace to be. If you need anymore info let me know. Please do not succumb to the folks that don't know. I don't recall ANYBODY saying that SA was the best place to work.

MRVMO:

What you say is not "entirely" true. As a side benefit, some of our "younger" captains get to sleep with fat Russian .....women(?). (OK..OK..perks are perks).

ironspud said:

Thanks for the reply ironspud. Do you think there is any chance of Southern getting jumpseat privileges with anyone any time soon? I know most of the cargo airlines have aggreements...that's why it was a little surprising that Southern doesn't have any jumpseat privileges. I'm considering applying there and you have been helpfull with your info. Thanks again.

nfinity8 said:
Thanks for the reply ironspud. Do you think there is any chance of Southern getting jumpseat privileges with anyone any time soon? I know most of the cargo airlines have aggreements...that's why it was a little surprising that Southern doesn't have any jumpseat privileges. I'm considering applying there and you have been helpfull with your info. Thanks again.

Jeez, how do I put this "politely"?

Probably no chance of that happening at Southern Air. I commuted for over 14 years at my last "real" airline job - on my own company - and hated it.

SA now provides me a guaranteed seat to get to work and back home. Every time. I love it.

If we go CASS, or reciprocal - we will most definitely lose that. I can think of noone here at SA that wants reciprocal jump seats or CASS. Surprisingly enough - even management.

Home basing is wonderful.

Oh! Incidently: Apply here. You will work hard, but with great crews.

Last edited:
For you Kalitta bashers, give it a break. Every company has its pros and cons. I actually like working here. I am traveling the world and having a blast flying the king of Boeings.

With regard to the engine in Lake Michigan incident, it was a manufacturer's defect in the part. It was not a failure of Kalitta mx. I have seen our engine overhaul shop in Oscoda and I was impressed. Connie has really done a nice job with it. We also overhaul engines for other carriers.

embpic1 said:
For you Kalitta bashers, give it a break. Every company has its pros and cons. I actually like working here. I am traveling the world and having a blast flying the king of Boeings.

With regard to the engine in Lake Michigan incident, it was a manufacturer's defect in the part. It was not a failure of Kalitta mx. I have seen our engine overhaul shop in Oscoda and I was impressed. Connie has really done a nice job with it. We also overhaul engines for other carriers.

Good for you. Tell Adnan "I love you, man".

Latest resources

Back