• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sorry...I've had it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If I could teach a pig to sing I wouldn't be working in a job where I gots ta pass on da duchy, don't ya know.

Now, maybe, I could teach a pig to swing, but only if the pig knew how to wear tight piggy slacks and had some porcine zodiac medallions. . . . F/A's wouldn't know the difference . . . . all men are pigs to them!

Last edited:
My friends who are still MD80 CA's at AA are making in the 135k range. The hourly pay rate is $154/hr. and it's a whole lot harder (and not politically correct with 3000 on furlough...) to fly 80-85 hours.

JB has lower rates but has the overtime thing. AirTran pays $153/hr. at the top. Plus, they have a pretty good DC retirement rate. At either company, you can do 80 hours/mo. without spending 17-20 days away from home.

AirTran's DC retirement is in an account that the individual pilots own. Each month, when the checks go out of the office, that money is gone--the company cannot touch it. Far safer than the DB plans remaining in place at AA . (Believe me, if AMR offered to do 14% into the Super Saver each month, with a conversion from the A/B funds, the pilots would be morons not to take it. But, I'll reserve comment on the chances of that happening. ;) )

Plus, I'd take the JB or AT QOL over AMR ANY F'ing day of this millinium. Good luck.TC

My friends who are still MD80 CA's at AA are making in the 135k range. The hourly pay rate is $154/hr. and it's a whole lot harder (and not politically correct with 3000 on furlough...) to fly 80-85 hours.
135k range would be around 73 hours/month. I don't work there but I've heard that they fly more than that.

AirTran's DC retirement is in an account that the individual pilots own. Each month, when the checks go out of the office, that money is gone--the company cannot touch it. Far safer than the DB plans remaining in place at AA . (Believe me, if AMR offered to do 14% into the Super Saver each month, with a conversion from the A/B funds, the pilots would be morons not to take it. But, I'll reserve comment on the chances of that happening. ;) )
I'm aware of how a DC plan works. Again, I don't work there but airlinepilotpay.com says that they have an 11% B-Plan in addition to the A plan. A B-plan is a DC plan....just like at Airtran...

Plus, I'd take the JB or AT QOL over AMR ANY F'ing day of this millinium. Good luck.TC
You must not have ever done any long S. America layovers :blush: (before you say it: I know that the MD80 doesn't go there)

DTW320 said:
Quote:AMR, at least, would have to take a hefty paycut on the NB to make less than JB or AirTran pilots.

Not true.

DTW320 said:
I hope for your sake that there is a positive corporate culture at Airtran and that agreeing that employees should share in the good times is part of management's mindset...

Yeah, we wish.

-9Capt said:
Not true.
AMR 757 CA (narrowbody) would have to take an 8% cut to get to Airtran rate and a 16% cut to get to JB rate. AMR 757 FO would have to take over 30% cut to = Airtran or JB FO rates. Guess it depends on your definition of "hefty".

DTW320 said:
AMR 757 CA (narrowbody) would have to take an 8% cut to get to Airtran rate and a 16% cut to get to JB rate. AMR 757 FO would have to take over 30% cut to = Airtran or JB FO rates. Guess it depends on your definition of "hefty".

There is a lot more to our pay then what you can get off Airlinepilotcentral.

Admittedly, AirTran doesn't have any 757's on the property, we do however have a payscale for them in our current contract, $174/hr (I assume you are talking about 12yr pay). Same for the Airbus $174/hr.

We also have some of the best rigs in the business. I flew 820hrs in '05 and made 1103 credit hrs for '05 ($150K plus).

I'm certainly not bragging here, no airline pilot flying passengers in the USA has anything to brag about, that's for sure, but Airlinepilotcentral doesn't tell the whole story, just raw numbers.

Geez, that's almost 92 hours/month credit. Very nice!

I flew 685 hrs last year for 920 hrs credit so math-wise it seems like we have very similar rig. Ours is 1 for 2 duty and 1 for 3.5 trip hour credit. For now....

Those are nice 757/320 rates. They look familiar.....ahhh memories :crying:.

DTW320 said:
Geez, that's almost 92 hours/month credit. Very nice!.

Yeah, and I'm lazy.

The difference in actual/credit also has a lot to do with the fact that AirTran has a hard time building efficient trips. Most trips have some soft pay, some more than others.

I drop/swap for trips that pay more/fly less every month and end up with an extra 15-20hrs.

Ive heard rumours ( nothing confirmed ) that a few of our guys have had problems at NWA too.. but each carrier has there few a@###$e.. Ive been turned down myself a couple of times over the years from different carriers.. but i commute and i GET IT .. you guys are more then welcome on my jumpseat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back