Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hvy said:
Hmmm...so it's o.k. to favor you even though
the NWA guy was in line 1st? Doen't sound like a "class act" to me. Sounds like they didn't get him on because he was NWA. Thats NO different than the post that started this whole thread. (which, by the way, we've only heard one side of the story).

(groan) Right...I made it up.

IB6 UB9 said:
(groan) Right...I made it up.

No where in my post do I state that "you made it up." That being said, only a fool goes off half-cocked with only part of the information.
I would need to hear the Captain's side on the story before chastising his supposed actions.

As a furloughed ALPA member you should be aware that there are proper avenues to address such issues. A public forum is not one of them. You may get some sympathy but writing about it here does not offer any solutions that you may be looking for.

I will say this...you mentioned your girlfriend (I think that was it...there were so many posts) confronting the Captain after the flight? Not only was this inappropriate for her to do as she has NO say on what the Captain does or does not do ... I question your thought process for bragging about it. I wouldn't be too proud of my wife had she conducted herself in that manner by verbally assaulting the crew. I also see red flags from your initial statement concerning rejection of future NWA jumpseaters. Childish at best.

Hey HVY,
I work at NW and Ive been involved in this issue and it is happening. Your post is about 2 months out of date. This thread is probably "the" example ALPA used to come down on the NW pilots. The girlfriend mentioned is closely associated with NWA. She knows the "etiquite" of jumpseating and pass riding. I appreciate that you just came in on this thread, but a huge amount was removed by moderators because ALPA and the JB JS coordinators needed some time to work out some issues. I will flat out tell you the NW Captain here was WRONG. In his mind, I know he has a lot of issues to contend with. He is also caught up in a "pack mentality" that is wrongly going around amongst a tight group of Captains at NWA. IB6UB9 tried all the avenues, and then some NWA guys tried in his behalf from the other end. There was no solution. This thread is what gave ALPA the "momentum" to get up off its a$$ and work a solution to the problem. I think you need to read through all the pages of this thread if you are going to call someone childish or you come off looking like a pompus loser. IB6 clearly rectified his initial rage with a well thought out clarification. Go back and re read the whole thing and see if it does not come back in perspective.

I was involved in this too from the NWA end. If you search the whole thread, you will see the lengths that IB6 went too to make this work out. This is actually a spin off of another thread where this same thing happened before. It seems a group of NW capt's have identified B6 as the target and are using power they actually do not have to punish B6 jseaters. That is why ALPA has published this:
From the ALPA fast read....

During these times of airline turmoil, airlines may be tempted to place artificial restrictions -- specifically, those that do not involve safety concerns -- on using jumpseats. ALPA strongly disagrees with such restrictions and has always maintained that jumpseats should be off limits to any type of dispute that is not related to safety.

ALPA's jumpseat policy, contained in Section 115 of the ALPA Administrative Manual, speaks directly to this subject: "ALPA supports the Captain's authority to exclude any person other than required crew from the flight deck if, in his opinion, that person's presence will compromise safety.
"Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing, or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA. The Jumpseat and/or Professional Standards Representative appointed by the respective Master Executive Council or governing body should resolve disputes that arise between pilots, airlines, or other unions."
ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, says, "Using jumpseats to retaliate against an individual, pilot group, or company is not only wrong. It could also result in violations of the Railway Labor Act, if pilots took those actions to harm a company during collective bargaining." Gigantic fines could be levied against a pilot group if its members misused jumpseats in this way.
"The jumpseat is a mutually beneficial tool that helps airlines and pilots by enhancing safety, security, and efficiency," Capt. Woerth noted. "Both parties must guard against any activities that may damage the viability of that invaluable resource."

I applaud ALPA's responce to a problem that is getting out of hand.
Deli

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back