• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mooneymite

Deleted

Duplicated post....

Our company puts us up in some really nice hotels on a frequent enough basis that we get a lot of perks with the reward programs. One of those perks is the use of the concierge lounges which provide various levels of amenities...all free!

This is a great benefit and I’d hate to see a diminution of this great perk. However, the last couple of times I’ve enjoyed this hotel hospitality, I’ve been amazed by the way a few may be ruining it for the many.

Now don’t get on your high horse and accuse me of being part of the etiquette police. I’m not talking about the proper way to hold your tea cup. What I’m concerned about are crewmembers that are dressed in shorts, raggedy FBO tee shirts and flip-flops when every other businessman is dressed in business casual. What I’m talking about is a crewmember dressed in a muscle shirt, wet with perspiration, who comes in, puts his legs across a table in front of the evening news that the other guests are watching and then proceeds to yak away on his cell phone about his fractional flying experiences of the day so loud that no one can hear the evening news.

I am the first one to believe we have every right to be comfortably dressed and enjoy the privileges of membership in the hotel rewards programs, but I don’t believe that we are doing ourselves, or our profession any favors by dragging the standard of dress and conduct down and endangering our access to these perks. The hotels have a right to expect a certain level of conduct from their clientele.

I recently had a conversation with the (admittedly, somewhat snooty) maitre d in a concierge club about why our crew was not told there was a lounge in this particular hotel. His answer: “Some of your crewmembers don’t know how to act and they offend our other guests, so the front desk doesn’t mention it to you guys any more.”

Ouch!

Last edited:
then proceeds to yak away on his cell phone about his fractional flying experiences of the day so loud that no one can hear the evening news

And maybe those businessmen are owners of shares in your fractional. Just becuase you do not know the poeple around you, don't speak loudly about private and confidential matetrs with others in the room. They may know who you are or whom you work for.

Fly safe.

No idea other than to report it to the moderators and ask them to get rid of it. Glad to see I finally found the thread with some content... :D

In response to your topic, yeah, I've seen some inappropriate dress and behavior in the concierge lounges. But honestly, it's been pretty rare in my experience. And some of the tools I've seen in the lounges are not flightcrews, so we certainly don't have a monopoly on bad behavior.

That said, keep in mind that we're not given lounge privileges out of the good graces of the hotel, or even to keep our company's business. We're given them because we're frequent customers of the hotel chains, and thus have status in their loyalty program. (Hilton is good enough to get us Diamond status off the bat, but we'd have it in short order even without that generosity.)

Not sure what the solution is for non-company people, but peer pressure certainly works when it's somebody at your own company. Have you posted about this on your company message board?

And maybe those businessmen are owners of shares in your fractional.

Very true. We frequently end up in the same hotels as our share owners, and I've been recognized a couple of times even after changing into regular clothes.

Discussing your clientèle in a public setting is never a good idea. Especially on a cellphone, which nearly everyone seems to want to scream into. (And don't get me started about the Nextel speakerphones....)

The problem is you can't fix stupid or clueless.

However that being said, with the class of people that they are letting into the lounges these days it doesn't matter how you in act in some cases, the freaks will out do you every time. Seems like any sort of hotel points level get you in.

I rarely if ever go to the lounges anymore for that reason. The whole experience is going to crap.

[/size][/font]
(And don't get me started about the Nextel speakerphones....)

agreed! I was at this restaraunt, and this lady was talking to her husband inside, via the speaker phone.......beep, beep, etc. Then we were leaving, and saw her on the phone outside talking on it with the speaker off!

I need a little handheld device that does nothing but make the Nextel beep. And next time somebody's using that damn thing within earshot of me, I'm going to walk over to them, and just start hitting it. Over and over. Right near their ear.

Bleep. Bleep. Bleep. Bleep. Bleep. Bleep....

Maybe they'll get the hint. (No, probably not, but it's an argument I'd be willing to start.)

I will sleep soundly knowing that the low-life crews you are referring to are not my co-workers at Flight Options as Motel 6 does not offer a concierge lounge. For shame. . .

Latest resources

Back