• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Someone's gotta say it...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will wear whatever I want to any lounge I please. We are not on duty. You guys to need to relax, and enjoy the 10hr turn.

That seems rather rude and arrogant, Kman...:rolleyes: I do hope you show more courtesy to your pax than you do to your fellow lounge patrons who are trying to enjoy a professional atmosphere. If you think your attitude doesn't affect others take another look at RNO's post. He said that "I rarely if ever go to the lounges anymore for that reason. The whole experience is going to crap."

Like it, or not, our society has unwritten rules/traditions. Going to the theater (live performance) is widely viewed as a "dress up" event. Some restaurants establish a dress code to maintain the standards their clientèle are expecting when they go out for the evening. When I've gone into lounges w/my husband (personal travel) we dressed in business casual and fit right in with the other guests. I'm with RNO, the atmosphere is part of the experience. I think hotel managers are relying on their professional clientèle to show good judgment and respect for standards. If the standards slip too far, Kman, don't be surprised if a dress code is established for the lounges.

Besides, There's only so much room in that 7 day tour bag. Shorts, flip flops, and a thin tee shirt take up no room at all!

Doesn't that get cold in the winter? :p Come on, guys...:rolleyes: we're not suggesting a business suit. Dockers and a polo will do. We're trying to point out that impressions do matter and that those who want to earn professional wages are well advised to dress and act accordingly when out on tour representing your frac and fellow pilots. Please consider joining those who are working to raise awareness that pilots are professionals who should be paid as such.

I will wear whatever I want to any lounge I please. We are not on duty. You guys to need to relax, and enjoy the 10hr turn.

I sincerely hope that is just flame bait.

You are kidding, right?

Anytime you are identified as a crewmember by what you do, say, or wear...you can affect how our profession is viewed. If we want respect we have to earn it and maintain it. If we expect to be treated and paid as professionals, we have to walk the walk. Is business casual too much to ask?

If you can't be identified as a crewmember, have at it.

Well, around day 6 or 7, whichever clothes you have, you where the ones that pass the sniff test. the cleanest clothes (whatever they may be) wins.

Well, around day 6 or 7, whichever clothes you have, you where the ones that pass the sniff test. the cleanest clothes (whatever they may be) wins.

I don't own Dockers, and when I'm off I don't wear business casual, nor do i wear ripped up jeans. But I do own a fine pair of flipflops.

Lear.......your so right

...If we expect to be treated and paid as professionals, we have to walk the walk. Is business casual too much to ask?

MM, good post! One never knows when they might run into pax or potential clients. Furthermore, I do believe that the hotel is aspiring to an atmosphere that offers its professional patrons something classier than a fast food joint full of high schoolers...:rolleyes: To the flipfloppers I say: Please don't discourage the hotels from offering one of the few perks frac pilots enjoy while on tour.

Wife, you have no place to tell pilots off even if they're showin up in towels wrapped around their waste.

"We're not saying you need to wear..." Who put you in charge of the hotel lounges? There's a concierge in there and if dress is inappropriate don't you think the hotel should monitor that? I'm not gonna let ANYBODY on this board, or my company tell me what to wear or not wear any time when I'm off duty and I'm sure as heL! not gonna let some pilots WIFE do it!

God you rub me wrong sometimes.

I'm sure you'll come back with some post taking the high road pointing out how you're just looking out for the greater good and we're professionals and need to act blah blah blah if we want pay to be blah blah blah.

Why can't you just find a hobby that doesn't involve looking down your nose from you lofty perch of the world greatest pilots wife? Go be the worlds greatest thing of your own.

And before you or anyone else turns this into me supporting flip flops let me stop you.

The bit that tweaked my beak was wife suggesting I pack polo shirts and Dockers to visit the lounges. What a JOKE!!!! This is our profession and there's no way I'm going to ask anyone living out of a carry-on for 7 or more days to "think of netjetwife and pack Dockers and a polo!"

grrrrrrr. I gotta go drink a beer or somthin.

regular people

I agree that there are certain times when you should dress up. But one thing that pisses me off is when people act like pilots have to ALWAYS look the part. If I'm in a lounge and someone walks in with shorts and a t shirt, has a drink and is cool, why the hell should I care that he doesnt have dockers and a polo shirt on.

Along the same lines, I was in a restaurant once having a drink with dinner, and one of our owners ( I worked for a fractional then, never again) saw me having a beer, and he called the company and raised this big fit. Interestingly enough, he had a nice big bottle of wine on his table. WTF, now pilots aren't regular people?

I agree that no one should walk around acting like a jerk, but as long as I follow the regs about bottle to throttle and all that stuff, etc., what I do on my time off is MY business, no one else's, especially some pompous schmuck who has more money than me, and therefore thinks he can tell me what to do around the clock. Get out of my face.

Wife, you have no place to tell pilots off even if they're showin up in towels wrapped around their waste. I disagree that I'm doing that. As a member of the general public that likes to see standards maintained in public places I'm discussing a dress issue on a public message board. I'm also supporting those pilots posting here whose opinion I share.

"We're not saying you need to wear..." That was intended as clarification of an opinion. I think you're overreacting just a bit, Glass...:rolleyes:

God you rub me wrong sometimes. As you've always been quick to point out. Please feel free to put me on your ignore list. I'd hate for you to get a rash ;) On the other hand, if it's only sometimes, then perhaps you can accept that we don't always see things the same. What is unchanging is my support for frac pilots to be treated/compensated as the professionals they are.

I'm sure you'll come back with some post taking the high road pointing out how you're just looking out for the greater good and we're professionals and need to act blah blah blah if we want pay to be blah blah blah. That has already been pointed out--by other pilots, as well as myself. You accept the well-intended advice/insight--or you don't. Now not to disappoint you: We did try--for the greater good...:p

Why can't you just find a hobby that doesn't involve looking down your nose from you lofty perch of the world greatest pilots wife? I'm sorry you feel that way...:confused: Luckily, those whose opinion I value most see me differently. Go be the worlds greatest thing of your own.

Glass, this board was designed to accommodate many different posters and it is possible to be selective. Many others (posters and readers) have let me (or my husband) know that they enjoy reading my posts and are appreciative of the support I express. I come here to discuss the issues that affect my family. I've made friends here. I should think the same is true for you and I don't begrudge you any of it. As you don't return that sentiment why not use the ignore function and keep the tone of the board friendly and positive?

Latest resources

Back