Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some UAL/CAL News (For Those Interested)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
andy unfortunately I think any contract put up to vote will pass. 25% of the pilots on the list retire in the next 7 years, all yes votes. From there you only need about 35% of the rest of the pilots to vote yes to get to 51% overall. I know I made a big blanket statement there but I think everyone understands what I'm getting at. The term alpa eats their young didn't come from nowhere.

andy unfortunately I think any contract put up to vote will pass. 25% of the pilots on the list retire in the next 7 years, all yes votes. From there you only need about 35% of the rest of the pilots to vote yes to get to 51% overall. I know I made a big blanket statement there but I think everyone understands what I'm getting at. The term alpa eats their young didn't come from nowhere.

It's actually 50% plus one vote and you are dead on about the majority of guys approaching retirement, I have flown with dozens of them who don't give a crap about anything except the signing bonus and/or retro pay.

We can speculate until the TA is release but I haven't heard a single rumor suggesting anything near LCAL rules. Besides, the current LCAL work rules do not meet the new FAR requirements.

On a more likely scenario, Superman vs Hulk, who do you think would win?

It's actually 50% plus one vote and you are dead on about the majority of guys approaching retirement, I have flown with dozens of them who don't give a crap about anything except the signing bonus and/or retro pay.

But the breakdown's not 7 years until retirement; it's more like 3 years until retirement. Those guys can take a big retro check and retire early; someone with 7 years remaining can't do that.

But the breakdown's not 7 years until retirement; it's more like 3 years until retirement. Those guys can take a big retro check and retire early; someone with 7 years remaining can't do that.
IMO No one's retiring early. Ever. 3 years, 7 years, 1 year, 1 day, retro of $50k, $100k, $250k. No matter how much they have they're not walking away from $15-$20k per month.

Last edited:
Yes, 451 vacancies. Positions available in every base, fleet, and seat except for IAH 777 and CLE 737. Let the hiring begin....

EDIT: No GUM 737 CA or IAH 756 FO vacancies either.

Last edited:
Here's the update from 28 Aug to LUAL furloughees:

Aug. 28, 2012 | Issue 26
Update on class offerings
No L-UAL classes start this year, L-CAL classes added in November and December
We have two updates to share related to L-UAL recall and L-CAL new hire pilot classes.
No L-UAL classes to start in 2012
Our Crew Resources group recently confirmed that there will be no L-UAL recall classes scheduled to begin during the remainder of 2012. Estimates for 2013 fleet and block hour plans continue to change on a weekly basis, so the timing and number of pilots potentially recalled remains uncertain. We will provide updates as we receive more information.
We add L-CAL new hire classes in November and December
L-CAL plans to continue hiring with training class dates in November and December 2012. Class start dates are November 6, 13, and 27, and December 4, 11 and 18. Assignments primarily will be 737 with some 757 First Officer positions. EWR and IAH domiciles will be available.
Currently, 382 furloughed L-UAL pilots have accepted positions at L-CAL, 241 have deferred due to military commitments, and 812 are on bypass status. As before, any pilots currently on bypass or military deferment status should notify Charlie V, Manager – Pilot Development, if they wish to re-enter the hiring process. You can reach Charlie at
No action is needed on the part of pilots who do not wish to re-enter the L-CAL hiring process at this time; they will simply remain on either bypass or military deferment status without implication or penalty. However, those pilots who remain on bypass will be accommodated only as future vacancies become available should L-CAL continue hiring.

As far as I know, LUAL furloughees who accepted positions at LCAL only filled classes through October so unless more accept the job, they'll need to fill the Nov and Dec classes with off the street hires.

Here's the update from 28 Aug to LUAL furloughees:

Aug. 28, 2012 | Issue 26
Update on class offerings
No L-UAL classes start this year, L-CAL classes added in November and December
We have two updates to share related to L-UAL recall and L-CAL new hire pilot classes.
No L-UAL classes to start in 2012
Our Crew Resources group recently confirmed that there will be no L-UAL recall classes scheduled to begin during the remainder of 2012. Estimates for 2013 fleet and block hour plans continue to change on a weekly basis, so the timing and number of pilots potentially recalled remains uncertain. We will provide updates as we receive more information.
We add L-CAL new hire classes in November and December
L-CAL plans to continue hiring with training class dates in November and December 2012. Class start dates are November 6, 13, and 27, and December 4, 11 and 18. Assignments primarily will be 737 with some 757 First Officer positions. EWR and IAH domiciles will be available.
Currently, 382 furloughed L-UAL pilots have accepted positions at L-CAL, 241 have deferred due to military commitments, and 812 are on bypass status. As before, any pilots currently on bypass or military deferment status should notify Charlie V, Manager – Pilot Development, if they wish to re-enter the hiring process. You can reach Charlie at
No action is needed on the part of pilots who do not wish to re-enter the L-CAL hiring process at this time; they will simply remain on either bypass or military deferment status without implication or penalty. However, those pilots who remain on bypass will be accommodated only as future vacancies become available should L-CAL continue hiring.

As far as I know, LUAL furloughees who accepted positions at LCAL only filled classes through October so unless more accept the job, they'll need to fill the Nov and Dec classes with off the street hires.

Piggy backing of Andy, the L-CAL hiring manager has indicated he will begin filling the Nov and Dec classes with L-UAL furloughees who have elected to re-enter the L-CAL hiring process. Won't know the actual number of furloughees who have elected to re-enter until later in September.

Latest resources

Back