Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some UAL/CAL News (For Those Interested)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Testy Testy. Getting all hung up on what you want the UAL furloughies to be "classified" as?? If they were coming back to UA side what would they be?? Is there a United or Continental anymore? Last I checked it was all UCH.

As I stated somewhere else, "man this SLI is going to be fun."

Not getting testy. I can just see the news release in November that UCH has completed all their recalls of UAL pilots, the merger is going great, we have a TA...well really its just an AIP...well really its just another stall tactic.

First of all...it is not a recall.

It is an offer to go be a new hire at the bottom of the CAL list and get paid your previous UAL pay rate.
Problem is that when the UAL hires insist on being called "new hires" it's an insult to every pilot who actual was a new hire at CAL. It wasn't what the UAL pilots are experiencing by any measure. They aren't on probation getting written reports from CAL captains that no one else would fly with (hint, hint), they're getting 4th 5th 6th year pay, full medical, and most of all they can have a who-gives-a-hoot attitude about whether they stay or not. If things don't work out, no worries, they're still on ANOTHER seniority list.

The guys who are wearing their UAL wings after going through CAL training seem particularly confused. If they're wearing UAL wings they must think they've been "recalled, right? They used to wear UAL wings. They're wearing UAL wings again. Seems like a recall. " A "new hire" would be wearing the wings of the airline that "new hired" him. If they're doing it because hey, we're not separate airlines anymore, but just all UCH now, again they must think they've been recalled.

Last edited:
Problem is that when the UAL hires insist on being called "new hires" it's an insult to every pilot who actual was a new hire at CAL. It wasn't what the UAL pilots are experiencing by any measure. They aren't on probation getting written reports from CAL captains that no one else would fly with (hint, hint), they're getting 4th 5th 6th year pay, full medical, and most of all they can have a who-gives-a-hoot attitude about whether they stay or not. If things don't work out, no worries, they're still on ANOTHER seniority list.

The guys who are wearing their UAL wings after going through CAL training seem particularly confused. If they're wearing UAL wings they must think they've been "recalled, right? They used to wear UAL wings. They're wearing UAL wings again. Seems like a recall. " A "new hire" would be wearing the wings of the airline that "new hired" him. If they're doing it because hey, we're not separate airlines anymore, but just all UCH now, again they must think they've been recalled.

First of all why would anyone insist on calling themselves "new hires?" As far as flying with the guys no one else wants to fly with ect ect..They already did all that hear at UAL. Our new hire always got full medical so not sure what your point there is. The "other" seniority list they are on will become one so that's a bit mute.

I can't speak for which wings they are wearing??? Maybe CO should have given them the TOYS R US shirts with the kiddie sewn on wings. That would have solved the problem. I know I for one will not wear the CO wings.

Because we have already paid those dues in full many years ago. I can assure you that the double furloughees from UAL have survived a far worse experience than the vast majority of any pilot group from any airline. Yes, we have a few bad attitudes among us, but most of us are just happy to be back in the mix - even if the situation is less than ideal.

Because we have already paid those dues in full many years ago. I can assure you that the double furloughees from UAL have survived a far worse experience than the vast majority of any pilot group from any airline. Yes, we have a few bad attitudes among us, but most of us are just happy to be back in the mix - even if the situation is less than ideal.

Glad your back. Good luck over there.

True enough. Wouldn't want to have been in their shoes.

"situation less than ideal"? You're too generous. Worst work rules anywhere.

Last edited:
First of all...it is not a recall.

It is an offer to go be a new hire at the bottom of the CAL list and get paid your previous UAL pay rate.
Here you go! Not a recall.

"United says that it is not currently recalling furloughed pilots or hiring. It would not provide a timeline for future openings. The Chicago-based airline must recall the 1,435 pilots that it has on furlough before it can begin hiring fresh faces, says the ALPA United master executive council. "[We] hope they come back as soon as possible," says the union. United last recalled between 100 and 200 pilots for its Continental subsidiary during the second half of 2011, according to an employee newsletter."

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/mainline-airline-pilot-hiring-to-increase-375640/

Last edited:

What's insulting is your illusion that hazing a new-hire is somehow accepted practice and that a LUAL furloughees (voluntary and involuntary), hired at LCAL should feel privileged as you so sentimentally "It wasn't what the UAL pilots are experiencing by any measure." alluded. Rather than sitting there on your throne letting your slack jaw lead your wisdom, you might consider a V-LOA from LUAL to join up at the bottom of the LCAL seniority list. My intuition tells me that yours and eagle's opinions will be different.

Here you go! Not a recall.

"United says that it is not currently recalling furloughed pilots or hiring. It would not provide a timeline for future openings. The Chicago-based airline must recall the 1,435 pilots that it has on furlough before it can begin hiring fresh faces, says the ALPA United master executive council. "[We] hope they come back as soon as possible," says the union. United last recalled between 100 and 200 pilots for its Continental subsidiary during the second half of 2011, according to an employee newsletter."

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/mainline-airline-pilot-hiring-to-increase-375640/

Thanks Densoo...I'm glad you finally get it. The only ones calling it a recall are the management pukes. They need to sell their fantasy to the outside world.

Latest resources

Back