Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Some UAL/CAL News (For Those Interested)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Piggy backing of Andy, the L-CAL hiring manager has indicated he will begin filling the Nov and Dec classes with L-UAL furloughees who have elected to re-enter the L-CAL hiring process. Won't know the actual number of furloughees who have elected to re-enter until later in September.

I think I read that Sept 10th was the deadline for those guys to respond. I believe he will publish the rest of the class rosters shortly after that.

Here's the update from 28 Aug to LUAL furloughees:

Aug. 28, 2012 | Issue 26
Update on class offerings
No L-UAL classes start this year, L-CAL classes added in November and December
We have two updates to share related to L-UAL recall and L-CAL new hire pilot classes.
No L-UAL classes to start in 2012
Our Crew Resources group recently confirmed that there will be no L-UAL recall classes scheduled to begin during the remainder of 2012. Estimates for 2013 fleet and block hour plans continue to change on a weekly basis, so the timing and number of pilots potentially recalled remains uncertain. We will provide updates as we receive more information.
We add L-CAL new hire classes in November and December
L-CAL plans to continue hiring with training class dates in November and December 2012. Class start dates are November 6, 13, and 27, and December 4, 11 and 18. Assignments primarily will be 737 with some 757 First Officer positions. EWR and IAH domiciles will be available.
Currently, 382 furloughed L-UAL pilots have accepted positions at L-CAL, 241 have deferred due to military commitments, and 812 are on bypass status. As before, any pilots currently on bypass or military deferment status should notify Charlie V, Manager – Pilot Development, if they wish to re-enter the hiring process. You can reach Charlie at
No action is needed on the part of pilots who do not wish to re-enter the L-CAL hiring process at this time; they will simply remain on either bypass or military deferment status without implication or penalty. However, those pilots who remain on bypass will be accommodated only as future vacancies become available should L-CAL continue hiring.

As far as I know, LUAL furloughees who accepted positions at LCAL only filled classes through October so unless more accept the job, they'll need to fill the Nov and Dec classes with off the street hires.

Gotta question for you Andy. When you came back to UAL (CAL 737), did you get credit for your time away (longevity), or did you come back at year 2 pay etc? Did you come back at CAL rates or UAL rates? Hopefully in your new contract you will get credit for time on furlough. The NWA guys that came back got full credit. If they flew at NWA for one year before being furloughed, and came back 5 years later, they came back at 6th year pay.

It's good to see things are moving over there. Hopefully you will get that contract done and some retro pay along with it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How important have internal recs been for Continental in the past? All my friends are at United. Would those carry in weight in this?

How important have internal recs been for Continental in the past? All my friends are at United. Would those carry in weight in this?

It will probably carry weight (UAL and CAL will all be the same group). While internal recs are important, it's possible to get in without them. I did.

Every airline has their own way of figuring out which of the thousands of apps to interview. The CAL process for getting an interview seems pretty informal but you having flown with a pilot on the property seems to weigh heavily. But there are so many written internal recs those can get lost in the paper shuffle as well.

If you have personally flown with any of your friends at United (military, regionals, etc) then have them go into a CAL chief pilot's office to give a verbal rec emphasizing the fact that they flew with you. Then have them follow up with an email to the same chief pilot (he'll likely ask for this anyway). The chief pilot will then forward this to the guy in charge of interviews recommending you get an interview.

This is how I got my interview. Then after I'd been on the property for just a couple of years I did exactly the same, twice, for guys I had flown with and they both got interviews shortly after. I was somewhat surprised as I was pretty new, but the company values an internal rec from someone you've flown with, and the visit/email/forwarded email is the easiest way for them.

Last edited:
Gotta question for you Andy. When you came back to UAL (CAL 737), did you get credit for your time away (longevity), or did you come back at year 2 pay etc? Did you come back at CAL rates or UAL rates? Hopefully in your new contract you will get credit for time on furlough. The NWA guys that came back got full credit. If they flew at NWA for one year before being furloughed, and came back 5 years later, they came back at 6th year pay.

It's good to see things are moving over there. Hopefully you will get that contract done and some retro pay along with it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You got over at your last UAL pay rate. You stay at that rate until your CAL longevity would pay you more.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Sorry, I haven't ben back here for a few days. I see Chairman's (love the name/avatar ... Come Fly With Me is a classic) already posted the answer.
I'm drawing yr 4 75/76 pay for LUAL. There are some voluntary furloughees who were 777 and 747 CAs drawing their old pay rates as 737 FOs.

I've been a HUGE advocate of full pay and longevity for time on furlough and have circulated your contract verbiage to all UAL MEC and LEC representatives. Unfortunately, there are some who view furloughees as not having contributed to the company operation while we on involuntary furlough so we don't deserve anything. Rather disheartening to see and hear that crap from professed unionists.
Delta's furlough pay/longevity verbiage should be industry standard and just one more reason for me to HATE ALPA. It's a 'pull up the ladder; I've got mine' union. And that's not what unions are supposed to be about.

Andy;2335054 Delta's furlough pay/longevity verbiage should be industry standard and just one more reason for me to HATE ALPA. It's a 'pull up the ladder; I've got mine' union. And that's not what unions are supposed to be about.[/QUOTE said:
Delta is ALPA.

I agree andy, the pull up the ladder mentality stops when u and i take key positions.
We will get longevity

The point being, ALPA is just the resource available. How a pilot group uses it is their responsibility. Perhaps you are pointing out a failure of UAL leadership rather than a fault of ALPA? My airline is ALPA and no one has ever even hinted that they throw their junior pilots under the bus, but you are not the first UAL pilot to express that sentiment.

Latest resources

Back