Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So where does the next generation come from???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Will be furloughed from NJA in January. The feeling of freedom is unbelivable. We've seen it coming so we've had time to plan but getting out of aviation and LEARNING something new is pretty sweet.

Pilots, myself included, have this bad habit of thinking, "I'm tied to this seniority list I can't leave and start over." Nothing against unions, mine's been awesome but I can't wait to get into an industry where I'm needed and wanted.

In 5-7 years maybe I go back maybe I don't. But I'm sure as hell not going back to sh*& wages and working conditions.

Hate to sound like an old fart, but I've been and flown with numerous others who have gone through a furlough. Everyone who had an attitude like you expressed came out way ahead and their furlough was actually a major positive in their lives. A lot seem to feel that way. Some do get buried in feeling like a victim, but they represent a smell minority.
Good Luck, though it appears you are making your own luck and will do fine.

Couldn't agree more. I would add one more lifestyle choice that would also be a major health risk, getting so bitter and obsessed over something that it dominants your thoughts and taints reality.
Flopgut, I hope you aren't as obsessed in life about this as you appear to be on F/I.

Thanks for the concern...I'm doing quite well. This is really just a coping mechanism and something that keeps me vigilent toward the next stunt your generation tries to pull. And BTW, I spend an equal amount of time trying to find a glimmer of hope that your generation might actually try to improve the whole profession. But that seems a far remote possibility than another devious grab.

I have 2 friends that are flying in the military (one in Johnstown, Pa. and the other in Afghanistan) that are staying in the military and have seniority numbers at Northwest / Delta. Both say the same thing..."no way" am I going back until the airline industry sorts itself out"..... and not until they get their time in to get a military pension.

Civilian training is way down!! I still have a read though Flight Training and they publish the stats for new licenses and student pilot starts.
If my kid ever starts getting the idea of being a pilot he'll get one right in the nose!! The only career out there where you can be a captain at the top one day after years of effort and be at the bottom of a regional list making nothing the next because of someones elses management errors.

Last edited:
Thanks for the concern...I'm doing quite well. This is really just a coping mechanism and something that keeps me vigilent toward the next stunt your generation tries to pull. And BTW, I spend an equal amount of time trying to find a glimmer of hope that your generation might actually try to improve the whole profession. But that seems a far remote possibility than another devious grab.
What are you doing to improve YOUR generation (assuming, of course, that it's not the same generation, a risk of internet blathering)?

Well, it would seem the lesser of two evils always tilts in favor of Prater's generation. That makes him, and the rest of his kind, cake eaters.

You missed the point. Age 65 was coming whether we wanted it or not. The FAA was very clear on that point. The choice Prater had to make was 1) be part of the FAA's committee reviewing how the change would be implemented or 2) sit outside the building throwing rocks and bitching how life sucks.

Age 65 was only one of several changes the FAA has been making to bring our regs closer into line with ICAO. There are many more, mostly minor stuff. Expect to see verbiage changes like "Line up and wait" and other procedural differences paired up. Obviously, since it affected so many pilot's wallets, Age 65 gets all the attention.

What would requiring 1500TT really do? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe both pilots in the Colgan crash had over 1500 hours. How many hours did the NW crew have that overshot the airport? How many hours did the DL crew have that landed on the taxi way? Nobody died in those two examples, but if the NW plane ran out of fuel? Or if there was another plane or vehicle on the taxi way when DL landed? How about the WN in BUR? Or the AA in LIT? How many hours did these crews have? This is just another example of the Govt. instilling a false sense of security to the public. Why don't we make it so the problem pilots can be fired. We've all flown with people who are "accidents waiting to happen". What happens to them when they fail multiple checkrides? Or violate a clearance or FAR? Nothing! They can't be fired because the union will save their job. And if the union can't, their lawyers will. Congress should make it so companies and the FAA can get unsafe pilots grounded permanately. Killing hopes and dreams of somebody with less then 1500 is not the solution.

You missed the point. Age 65 was coming whether we wanted it or not. The FAA was very clear on that point. The choice Prater had to make was 1) be part of the FAA's committee reviewing how the change would be implemented or 2) sit outside the building throwing rocks and bitching how life sucks.

1. And exactly how much input did they provide?? Only the kind that helped the old farts...i.e. no tougher medicals etc.

2. Us younger guys were doing this, throwing rocks.

1. And exactly how much input did they provide?? Only the kind that helped the old farts...i.e. no tougher medicals etc.

Did not allowing guys to come back who were over the age of 60 and who were already retired "help the old farts?"

What would requiring 1500TT really do? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe both pilots in the Colgan crash had over 1500 hours. How many hours did the NW crew have that overshot the airport? How many hours did the DL crew have that landed on the taxi way? Nobody died in those two examples, but if the NW plane ran out of fuel? Or if there was another plane or vehicle on the taxi way when DL landed? How about the WN in BUR? Or the AA in LIT? How many hours did these crews have? This is just another example of the Govt. instilling a false sense of security to the public. Why don't we make it so the problem pilots can be fired. We've all flown with people who are "accidents waiting to happen". What happens to them when they fail multiple checkrides? Or violate a clearance or FAR? Nothing! They can't be fired because the union will save their job. And if the union can't, their lawyers will. Congress should make it so companies and the FAA can get unsafe pilots grounded permanately. Killing hopes and dreams of somebody with less then 1500 is not the solution.

Well its not just hours, but what those hours are. Someone with 1500 TT, thats been flying such as 135 freight dog, gets a whole lot more out of a given hour than someone who was an hour as an 121 FO. Not sure if you did any time freight doggin' it, but as a single pilot part 135 PIC, you get quite a bit of experience the hard way.

Someone hired with 500 TT, has very little time so far that is not out of a training environment, and has really not exercised that much judgement so far, in comparison. And if they have 500 TT, and fly as 1000 hours as an FO, well they may know 121 ops better, but for airmanship, I would still take the freight dog anytime.

Being a 135 freight dog used to be a natural progression before going to the commuters/regionals. Now we ended up with FOs who never did freight and probably look down on that lowly Seneca or 402 driver. But in reality that freight dog could easily fly circles around that shiny jet FO, and know a lot more about weather and airmanship.

There is less an less freight flying available due mostly to the electronic processing of checks and the consolidation in freight ops.

Latest resources

Back