So what now at SKW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Time2Spare,

Are you for real? Do you really mean to stereotype a group of nearly 3,000 pilots based on the actions of maybe a dozen (worst case scenario)? That is 0.5% of the pilot group at worst. If that is the case, you need to toughen up and educate yourself about how these message boards work. Message boards provided an anonymous forum for people to say what they obviously wouldn't say in person. That is a fact. If you don't have the capacity to sort through the bull, you shouldn't even log on to these boards-you'll just make yourself more miserable. Don't hypocritically use flightinfo to complain about how other pilot groups antagonized you, then anonymously antagonize them back. Why don't you tell a Skywest Captain what you think of our pilot group in person the next time you try to jumpseat to work on our airplane. Thank goodness the XJET guys I've carried to CLE and HOU from Chicago, and probably 99.5% of XJET pilots have the capacity to handle this situation properly.

Last edited:
Now I am not sure what Jerry and the boys will do for yall, but things sure don't look rosy over here anymore.

Can you think of a place, anywhere in the US economy, where things do look rosy? Much less the airline industry? Much less the regional airline industry?

Thinking I'm going to be at a regional a lot longer than I had anticipated I'd like to buy a house but don't have enough confidence in the economy or my job security, after 3 years @ xjt, to want to take on that much debt....

Anyone have a crystal ball I can borrow?

Anyone have a crystal ball I can borrow?

Yup, I guarantee it'll change again. That this too shall pass.

Nothing new under the sun, the American economy has been cyclically weak/strong since the beginning of the 20th century.

We've been long overdue for the deep cycle we're entering now..but think about how far the pendulum is going to swing the other way when it's time for our recovery!

Very sorry to hear of the furlough at ASA. You guys seem like you worked your tails off just to get a swift kick in the nads.

Just wanted to hear some of the predictions for what will happen now at Skywest? I feel that with a furlough at ASA, we will be next on the list very shortly. They are working on LOAs and part time pilot lines but I don't think that will do much to shrink the over populated pilot group. I would guess 150 pilots will soon be kicked to the street (me included). Hope I am wrong...here is to going to bed another night not knowing what tomorrow brings...:beer:

The writing appears to be on the wall.

Time2Spare,

Are you for real? Do you really mean to stereotype a group of nearly 3,000 pilots based on the actions of maybe a dozen (worst case scenario)? That is 0.5% of the pilot group at worst. If that is the case, you need to toughen up and educate yourself about how these message boards work. Message boards provided an anonymous forum for people to say what they obviously wouldn't say in person. That is a fact. If you don't have the capacity to sort through the bull, you shouldn't even log on to these boards-you'll just make yourself more miserable. Don't hypocritically use flightinfo to complain about how other pilot groups antagonized you, then anonymously antagonize them back. Why don't you tell a Skywest Captain what you think of our pilot group in person the next time you try to jumpseat to work on our airplane. Thank goodness the XJET guys I've carried to CLE and HOU from Chicago, and probably 99.5% of XJET pilots have the capacity to handle this situation properly.

Ok, ok, everyone. First and foremost, I apologize for holding the entire SKW pilot group responsible for the few tools who screwed with us at a really bad time. Second, the irony was not lost on me that I was doing basically the same thing - I guess it was wishing someone ill who did us ill - not mature and I was wrong. Third, most of those who've responded have done so with tact, and I appreciate that...even if I was a little pi$$y in my post. Finally, I really don't hope anyone at any airline gets furloughed - I was furloughed and it totally sucks.

I know there are some really great guys at SKW, just like at XJT, and we don't need to be infighting. I'm sorry for what I said, what's done is done, and stoking the embers is stupid. We are all in this God-foresaken industry together and I'm hoping for the best for all of us in 2009.

T2S

P.S. Even in my anger, I've never denied anyone from SKW my jumpseat, EVER. Just so you know.

We are all in this God-foresaken industry together and I'm hoping for the best for all of us in 2009.

Thanks for your apology to those of us in the SKW group. It actually means a lot. Thank you.

Regarding this "Godforsaken industry," (and I have scarcely ever mentioned the airline industry without putting the term "Godforsaken" in front of it) I personally have an exit strategy. The down-side is that it involves about six more years of schooling, but it is an exit strategy nonetheless. Being an airline pilot was always my #1 choice for a job. This has always been #2. And it's basically recession-proof, so I shan't be going down this road again.

Kind regards, T2S.

-Goose

Ok, ok, everyone. First and foremost, I apologize for holding the entire SKW pilot group responsible for the few tools who screwed with us at a really bad time. Second, the irony was not lost on me that I was doing basically the same thing - I guess it was wishing someone ill who did us ill - not mature and I was wrong. Third, most of those who've responded have done so with tact, and I appreciate that...even if I was a little pi$$y in my post. Finally, I really don't hope anyone at any airline gets furloughed - I was furloughed and it totally sucks.

I know there are some really great guys at SKW, just like at XJT, and we don't need to be infighting. I'm sorry for what I said, what's done is done, and stoking the embers is stupid. We are all in this God-foresaken industry together and I'm hoping for the best for all of us in 2009.

T2S

P.S. Even in my anger, I've never denied anyone from SKW my jumpseat, EVER. Just so you know.

You show some class T2S. Let's hope the best for all of us with our sick desire to fly for a living. Just today one of my FO's called me worried about walking the street if we let people go. I told him he could sling drinks and get laid more. He doesn't feel so bad now. Good luck to you sir and your comrades.

Thanks for your apology to those of us in the SKW group. It actually means a lot. Thank you.

Regarding this "Godforsaken industry," (and I have scarcely ever mentioned the airline industry without putting the term "Godforsaken" in front of it) I personally have an exit strategy. The down-side is that it involves about six more years of schooling, but it is an exit strategy nonetheless. Being an airline pilot was always my #1 choice for a job. This has always been #2. And it's basically recession-proof, so I shan't be going down this road again.

Kind regards, T2S.

-Goose

IF you are talking about going into Medicine...be careful.

We've got 170k in medical school debt and socialized healthcare could easily cut my wife's eventual salary by 50% or more(read, we'll be paying that debt for 30 years).

Of course, at least she will STILL have a JOB if the economy completely tanks AND we get socialized healthcare. So I guess there IS that.

IF you are talking about going into Medicine...be careful.

We've got 170k in medical school debt and socialized healthcare could easily cut my wife's eventual salary by 50% or more(read, we'll be paying that debt for 30 years).

Of course, at least she will STILL have a JOB if the economy completely tanks AND we get socialized healthcare. So I guess there IS that.

Nope, not medicine. I'm crazy, but not that crazy. I'm looking at 2nd BS in civil engineering along with an MS in civil engineering/hydrology. I'll have a bit of debt, but I'm estimating probably $25k max--state schools, in-state tuition, and a fairly common grad program for any univeristy to have (heckuva lot more common than medical schools, anyway, and much cheaper to implement), although there's only one school in the state that would has the hydrology specialty. Fortunately, if you've done well in your supporting coursework, it's not a difficult program to get into.

It's probably more like four more years anyway. And two of those are for the lower division courses that I should have done while I was an undergrad but instead got a degree in underwater basket weaving...er airplane flying. I think going back to school would be worthwhile whether the economy was in the crapper or not.

Even so, that is an awfully late start for a career in life... oh well. You play the hand you're dealt. I'm glad my main goals in life aren't centered on amassing wealth!

-Goose

Latest resources

Back