So was B19 right or wrong?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You didn't answer my question at all.

I answered you question to the point. Which part of it did you not understand?

As the economy failed after the union beat the company down with an industry leading contract, it always seems as though management gets blamed for the failure so they fall on their swords. RTS is a great example of that, just like all the others 8 years ago.

Simply history repeating itself, the cycle of union life.

Peter Principle. From a book by that name (brain fart, can't remember the author). Says that if you do a good job you get promoted. This repeats until you get a job you cannot handle. Then you stay in that job forever.
Helm

Peter Principle. From a book by that name (brain fart, can't remember the author). Says that if you do a good job you get promoted. This repeats until you get a job you cannot handle. Then you stay in that job forever.
Helm

Beat me to it Helm (been off making the donuts).

If I recall the statement, "Every person rises to the level of their own incompetence."

I answered you question to the point. Which part of it did you not understand?

As the economy failed after the union beat the company down with an industry leading contract, it always seems as though management gets blamed for the failure so they fall on their swords. RTS is a great example of that, just like all the others 8 years ago.

Simply history repeating itself, the cycle of union life.

It has nothing to do with union life. The union did not fire these managers. So please enlighten us, why did these managers get fired if they were doing their jobs well?

The same exact thing happened at United, American and Delta. It's union history repeating itself. Heros during good times, villians during bad.

It's why industry leading contracts fail. The NJ contract has already failed because it did not protect those workers that are furloughed.

B19 is correct in that it is impossible for everyone to be protected in all circumstances by the union. He is wrong in that he will not apply the same standard to management. Neither management nor the union is able to protect all workers in all situations. We at Flexjet have furloughs. If I apply the same impossible standard to our management, they have failed because they failed to protect all workers. It doesn't make sense in either case. Therefore B19s logic is EPIC FAIL!

B19 is correct in that it is impossible for everyone to be protected in all circumstances by the union. He is wrong in that he will not apply the same standard to management. Neither management nor the union is able to protect all workers in all situations. We at Flexjet have furloughs. If I apply the same impossible standard to our management, they have failed because they failed to protect all workers. It doesn't make sense in either case. Therefore B19s logic is EPIC FAIL!

Management in a non-union company does everything they can to maintain a stable, profitable company that will continue to do the best it can for all employees, not just a specific work group. When cuts happen, they are surgical to the areas within the company to where they need to be. Furloughs or layoffs may happen and when they do, the concept is that no work group is favored over another.

Unions however charge their brethren dues to protect a specific work group within a company. They are paid advocates. Those dues are meant to create security and that is what a union member pays for. That means if union employees are furloughed within a certain work group, the union has failed because they did not live up to their promise of protecting the people they are paid to protect which is the reason they put the union on the property in the first place.

Management in a non-union company does everything they can to maintain a stable, profitable company that will continue to do the best it can for all employees, not just a specific work group. When cuts happen, they are surgical to the areas within the company to where they need to be. Furloughs or layoffs may happen and when they do, the concept is that no work group is favored over another.

Unions however charge their brethren dues to protect a specific work group within a company. They are paid advocates. Those dues are meant to create security and that is what a union member pays for. That means if union employees are furloughed within a certain work group, the union has failed because they did not live up to their promise of protecting the people they are paid to protect which is the reason they put the union on the property in the first place.

that is quite inaccurate. I don't really care for unions either, when I was in management I always thought they were rather out dated. However, management failed to get it done and someone has to keep them in line. Otherwise the destruction of the company is a real possibility. Then us managers take our huge parachute and move on to another company and apply the same poor performance as before.

from a pilot position, it's sad that we even need a union to keep management from doing dumb things. They all say that safety is their number one concern but that's only for the papers. Sacrificing a few passengers in the name of profit is acceptable to management but it isnt acceptable from a pilot perspective.

B19, I joke around a lot with you, its all good fun. But a word of advice, you're entitle to your opinion but your attitude about it is all wrong. Don't blame the pilots, they don't have a choice.

Now I see where your misconception is. A union does not promise perfect protection from all economic woes. A union promises to represent your interests collectively (rather than individually) in dealing with management. The union provides greater bargaining power through the group than the individual would have on his own. This is not a promise of a perfect world. Only the promise of a better world. Glad I could clear that up for you. Move along, nothing more to see here...

Latest resources

Back