• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So much for strike leverage at DAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with that. I don't think a strike can be stopped by the courts.

It's the simple fact that a strike would almost certainly liquidate the company. Grinstein knows that DALPA doesn't have the nads to do it. DALPA will fall and in a 1113, she'll give the company what they demand, and the pilots will shuffle off to work.

Last edited:
I read an article today that said a banker stated we could easily come out of bankruptcy.

Gen, I'm pulling for you guys, but this banker is just an expert witness for Delta whose testimony is meaningless. See below.

Asked by Judge Prudence Carter Beatty if the bankrupt carrier's management was capable of bringing the airline out of bankruptcy successfully, Timothy Coleman, an investment banker with The Blackstone Group which is advising Delta, said "yes."

skykid said:
Gen, I'm pulling for you guys, but this banker is just an expert witness for Delta whose testimony is meaningless. See below.

Thanks skykid. I know that, just like the guy announcing that we could get into a liquidity squeeze sometime next year. I heard that how many times before we gave our $1 billion a year? They all have a vested interest in keeping this thing around, and so do we, but not when they try to take EVERYTHING away from us. We are a "younger" group now that 2300 of the super senior or LOYAL pilots left. We know what is right or wrong, and we are willing to fight for it, regardless of what Draginass thinks. And, at the same time, we have a judge that can seperate fact from fiction. She actually stated last week that "you have to really understand the facts in a case like this. And, in some instances, facts can be more important than the LAW." That is an important statement. And, we did a great job yesterday of cornering Delta on the pension issue and whether or not we should get credit if they cancel it. Dalpa is doing a good job, and this is not a one sided judge. We will see......

Bye Bye--General Lee

The only way for us to have leverage over all this chaos among us is to UNITE ALL ALPA pilots and just walk off the job saying ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

What most of us fail to see that in a population of 295,000,000 people only 639,000 of us are licensed pilots and that is including recreational to ATP. We have this country by the balls if we just walk off the job on any given day.

Then they will listen, then we will get what we deserve. Right now our union is spineless and compared to other unions we are a joke. If Opec can sit in a conference room discussing wether they will cut production of oil and raise the price to 75.00 a barrel, why can't airlines do the same with fares? All airlines sitting in a conference room discussing wether they should raise fares by 20.00 bucks across the board! People will pay it!

We just sit here lowballing one another so joe schmoe can travel for 29 bucks!! sickening!

If something like this were to happen, Air Tran, SWA, Jet Blue would not even have the time nor the resources to pick up the slack. Internationally we would be shut down since none of the traditional low cost carriers even fly across the ponds.

Just a dream of my 2 cents.

Best of luck DALPA!!!

Last edited:
Draginass said:
I agree with that. I don't think a strike can be stopped by the courts.

It's the simple fact that a strike would almost certainly liquidate the company. Grinstein knows that DALPA doesn't have the nads to do it. DALPA will fall and in a 1113, she'll give the company what they demand, and the pilots will shuffle off to work.

I disagree, of course. Lee Moak has already said we will NOT work without a contract, and that would be if the judge granted the 1113c. That won't happen I believe, and there will be some sort of settlement. But, the judge has asked the Delta lawyer TWICE to give her a value for everything they wanted for free (the 6 items--including unlimited scope, code share, less block hours, etc), and that does NOT include the $325 million they also wanted. So, they will likely NOT get everything they wanted---because the judge said WE GET CREDIT for those 6 items. If they want some of those, it will cost them. The judge said so.

Bye Bye--General Lee

But the company's demand for $325m was based on the other "misc items" being freebies. If they have to assign a dollar value to them, the "demand" is going to go up, WAY up.

Everyone should be well-familiar with this Kabuki Dance. The costumes may change slightly, but the ending is always the same.

Draginass said:
But the company's demand for $325m was based on the other "misc items" being freebies. If they have to assign a dollar value to them, the "demand" is going to go up, WAY up.

Everyone should be well-familiar with this Kabuki Dance. The costumes may change slightly, but the ending is always the same.

Ok, you're right, and we are ALL WRONG. I think it is really time we all eat GUANO too. (Bat poop) Thanks for all of your wisdom Draginass.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

General - so what happens if we do get more of what WE want and less of what the company wants? Stay in BK longer? Stay in BK until we liquidate? What gets me is everyone is yelling about what Delta wants to give us - but even if we give in - will that mgmt team ensure this company is profitable? What if the pilots do well in the court and we get a better deal than what Delta offered. What then? Can this mgmt team ensure the company is profitable then? I don't have much faith in the mgmt team to pour piss out of a bucket..so I dont think it matters WHAT happens in court, to be honest.

dtfl said:
General - so what happens if we do get more of what WE want and less of what the company wants? Stay in BK longer? Stay in BK until we liquidate? What gets me is everyone is yelling about what Delta wants to give us - but even if we give in - will that mgmt team ensure this company is profitable? What if the pilots do well in the court and we get a better deal than what Delta offered. What then? Can this mgmt team ensure the company is profitable then? I don't have much faith in the mgmt team to pour piss out of a bucket..so I dont think it matters WHAT happens in court, to be honest.

Ding ding ding...winner! If the pilot's work for nothing, will the airline be profitable?

Lessee here.....Flipping open the Encyclopedia "O" the Future........

D...D....DE....DEL......DELTA....ahh here we go..

Delta Air Lines, Mid 2006........Hmm, says here to see USAirways and United Airlines.

Boy the whole process has been perfected so well that there is no longer any need to print up seperate stories.

I hate to see it for you guys, but the stories and the arguments that are "New" to Delta is just the same old crap that has been done before. Delta will meet the same fate as U and UAL. 120k a year for a 73 Capt top of scale, and retirement gutted.

NWA will not be far behind.

The rest including SWA will fall eventually unless something massive happens. (Nationwide shutdown type of Massive, or a top five carrier dissappears forever ala Braniff.)

Latest resources

Back