• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

miles otoole

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/06/news/fortune500/delta.reut/index.htm

Analysts: Delta faces liquidation
Bankrupt airline considered the weakest of legacy carriers and the most at risk for takeover.
December 6, 2005: 4:20 PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. is the weakest among traditional U.S. airlines and faces risk of liquidation if things do not go well in bankruptcy court, analysts said Tuesday.
"There is a tangible risk that Delta could be up for liquidation," said CreditSights analyst Roger King at the Reuters Aerospace and Defense Summit.
Fitch Ratings analyst Bill Warlick added that Delta had mortgaged everything it had left.
"That's the one to watch moving into 2006 if things do not proceed well in the bankruptcy process," he said. "It's certainly conceivable that a carrier like Delta could face a liquidity squeeze."
Delta, the No. 3 U.S. carrier, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in September and is seeking $3 billion in cost cuts and revenue hikes it says it needs to survive.
Delta could not be reached immediately for comment.

Consolidation eyed
Analysts attending the summit held in Washington said the airline industry needed to consolidate to become profitable.
"Of all the network carriers, they [Delta] have the weakest network profile and therefore would be most at risk as a target in future M&A," Warlick said.
Unlike Northwest, Delta has nothing it can fall back on, CreditSights' King added. Delta's hubs are not attractive for European business, and it faces competition from low-cost carriers on their domestic routes, he said.
"Their balance sheet is full of a lot of secured debt," said King. "Everything is liened up, including probably the pencils."
King said that he expected Delta pilots -- who are fighting the airline's bid to void their contract in bankruptcy court -- to vote against a strike if the judge hearing the case rules against them.
"When it actually comes time to vote, people tend to vote for the job," he said.
Earlier at the summit, Duane Woerth, president of the Air Line Pilots Association, said there was a possibility that the pilots would strike if the court rejected their contract.
"There is a chance because the level of frustration is so high," he said. But he added: "It'll be (more) an act of venting than strategy."

According to D-wayne, threatening a strike doesn't provide much negotiating leverage.

Last edited:
ALPA has ZERO leverage. Their strike talk is nothing but a hollow threat, and management knows that. Grinstein's going to give 'em a reaming they'll never forget. The DALPA defeat will signal the total subjegation of ALPA as a union.

"That's the one to watch moving into 2006 if things do not proceed well in the bankruptcy process," he said. "It's certainly conceivable that a carrier like Delta could face a liquidity squeeze."

I love that quote. Sure, everyone could conceivably get into a liquidity squeeze if oil somehow goes to $100 a barrel too.

I read an article today that said a banker stated we could easily come out of bankruptcy. And, the threat is real for a strike, and the judge said she wouldn't step in the way. We'll see. ALPA won't stand down. And the judge has made it harder for the company anyway. The company probably doesn't want her to decide the case, she has made a lot of pro-pilot statements.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
ALPA won't stand down.

I hope the best for you and your company, but let's get real.

ALPA won't stand down? ALPA is a shell. Woerthless is in the bunker on his knees praying with Mugerdouchian...TC

General Lee... and the judge said she wouldn't step in the way. We'll see. ALPA won't stand down. Bye Bye--General Lee[/quote said:
I agree G.L. Reading the transcripts I think she will let them strike if they want. And I hope your right about ALPA.

labbats said:
I hope the best for you and your company, but let's get real.

You need to read the court transcripts. It isn't going as bad for us as you would think. I am not saying we are winning, but we are not losing. We all know there will be some more pay cuts, but the other things the company wants for free will likely cost them a lot, thanks to the judge telling them to put values to everything.

You need to educate yourself before you bring on the "let's get real" statement. Really.

Bye Bye---General Lee

That's all postering and cheap talk by the judge. In the end, she'll give the execs everything they want. She's just hoping that ALPA will drop to their knees on their own, rather than her forcing them.

Draginass said:
That's all postering and cheap talk by the judge. In the end, she'll give the execs everything they want. She's just hoping that ALPA will drop to their knees on their own, rather than her forcing them.

I am glad you are so certain. Ask Mike Gallehger (the Delta Attorney she yelled at more than once) if he thinks the same. We'll see.....

You must have missed this exchange last week....:

ALPA attorney asked CFO Bastian if DL had a contingency plan for a
possible pilot strike. CFO replied, "we have a legal opinion that a
strike would not be allowed under the RLA". Judge interrupted to ask,
"What does the RLA have to do with this". CFO repeats his statement.
Judge says, " I don't believe the Federal courts have the power to
enjoin a strike. I know I certainly don't."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back