• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

So ASA's PBS Couldn't Build Me A Schedule...It Dumps Me On Reserve...WTF

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I had training and flew the last six days of this month. This two conflicts caused me to end up on reserve. Lower credit window and it wouldn't have happened. All you people who love pbs and think it can't happen to you. Just wait it can.

Oh yeah. I know what you're talking about. The problem with this donkey dung called PBS is that it IS a stupid computer program. It just looks at the credit window which has been an absurd 86-120 hours for the IAD guys.

The software simply forces you to work six days straight at least one week of the month if not two. Old dudes like me can't do that and maintain a family life not to mention I haven't done that kind of duty in over a decade.

Their staffing model is wrong and we're not hiring. Until we get the credit window to be set at a 75 hour minimum and we're staffed as such, life is going to suck.

There are some folks who may like working 120 hours, but I'm not one of them. I've put in my time, and still have virtually the same days on/off as the most junior lineholder and sometimes worse. Maybe less-brutal trips, but that's the only difference. It's wrong on every level.

All you "just learn how to bid" cheerleaders will sure change your tune when they stop dropping the minimum threshold.

Some people are starting to understand what will happen in such a scenario. Remember, there is nothing in writing which says they ever have to drop the window by anywhere near 10 or even 15 hours to make things work. When they don't "play nice" and drop the threshold, 95% + of us will be as upset as these guys.

-This ain't an opinion. It can and will happen-just as soon as XJET gets scammed into this dumpster of an agreement.

Last edited:
I have TWO bid sheets...

The first one with 30 something preferences of fancy stuff that i want. The second one only has "Allow single days off", "Select all pairings before Reserve line etc"

And it STILL couldn't build me a line!!! WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

So it dumps me back to reserve...and awards 7 guys junior to me a line.

Somebody please tell me how the FORK this is fair? I'm so close to throwing my monitor out the damn window. :angryfire

its because you work for total ******************** airline that dont care about anything but making money for the upper management criminals.

sad really

That's just a suggestion. They don't really have to be out.

Just curious? Who flies all the crappy trips you trade away? Some pilot at your company has to do that flying. Or, does the Company just say, "Fishpaw thinks this is a crappy trip, we just want make anybody fly it."

Can every pilot at your Company do what you do? I doubt it. Good for you; you can trade your crappy trips. But in the end, some poor bloat has to do your time. I doubt every pilot has the same view of your system.

Your system want survive--I guarantee it. If it does, we better all be looking for other jobs because we will find ourselves in the same position you guys were in about a year ago.

The trips that are still in open time after the Intial Line Improvement Window are mostly assigned to relief line holders in the secondary bid. Relief line holders then have the opportunity to trade their trips in the Secondary Line Improvement Window (which is basically the entire bid month). Anything in open time after that is assigned to reserves if it's not picked up by hard line or relief line holders.

We are always under min reserve coverage during the SLIW but our contract allows non day for day trades. These are called bad day/worse day trades. As long as the days you want to work have a net reserve coverge lower than the days you're trying to trade away, scheduling has to approve the trade. Bad day/worse day trades are also available for trading reserve days.

I've been on reserve, a relief line holder, and a hard line holder long enough to know that with our system I can get the days off that I want most of the time. All it takes is knowing the system and your awarded schedules can look completely different than what you actually fly.

I'm not saying every pilot at xjt has the same quality of life. Seniority still plays a huge part as well as if you're a hard line, relief line, or reserve line holder. For example, vacation for a reserve pilot is almost worthless when you compare it to a hard line holder. That is something that needs to be improved.

As for this part of our contract not surviving... Why? Do you only say this because it's not what you currently have? If you admit that it's something you'd also like, why not join the xjt pilots in fighting to keep it? The "position" our company was in prior to Skw Inc. purchasing us had nothing to do with the pilot contract, and everything to do with the decisions of CAL and our own management. If Skw Inc. wants cost cutting they can first combine the 3 airlines they own. If that ever happens then we can consider whether or not our contract is competitive.

As for this part of our contract not surviving... Why? Do you only say this because it's not what you currently have? If you admit that it's something you'd also like, why not join the xjt pilots in fighting to keep it? The "position" our company was in prior to Skw Inc. purchasing us had nothing to do with the pilot contract, and everything to do with the decisions of CAL and our own management. If Skw Inc. wants cost cutting they can first combine the 3 airlines they own. If that ever happens then we can consider whether or not our contract is competitive.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one saying that they better not cry poor or not being "cost compititive" unless they save money by combining all three airlines FIRST!!!

Anyways, I can envision a joint contract with two different scheduling sections before I can see XJT pilots conceding anything more on their contract.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one saying that they better not cry poor or not being "cost compititive" unless they save money by combining all three airlines FIRST!!!

Time for a reality check here...Why do we want a single list? I wanted a single list with Delta/CMR/ASA, and I wanted a single list with Skywest...but what is the reason a single list is advantage to us as pilots and to other employee groups? Here's a hint...it ain't cheaper for the company....

Nevets said:
Anyways, I can envision a joint contract with two different scheduling sections before I can see XJT pilots conceding anything more on their contract.

I'm thinking this may be the best way to go at this time...that way BOTH sides are happy. Let's just keep the groups seperate...Most of you guys don't want PBS or 700s/900s, so it really wouldn't hurt to just stay seperate.

For my ASA brothers, tonight was our secondary line improvement window. I am a junior captain in ORD . I took my 88 hour 15 day off relief line and MOVED DAYS TO GET WEEKENDS OFF, so that I now have a 102hr line with 14 days off. PBS can suck it. I'm voting to keep this life improving system we have at XJT.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back