Sneak Preview UAIR EMB 170

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MMM I want one!
I am sorry to say though, that those airplanes should be flown at USair and not at their "regionals". Screw jets for jobs, yes its good that those furloughed pilots have jobs now but the E170/190 is going to pay much less at the regional level because of course, regionals are stepping stones right? And its going to trickle upward into mainline aircrafts pay rates. Pay for aircraft with around 100 seats has already been set with the F100 at AMR and the smaller 737s at nearly every other major. Now they are going RESET those pay rates down to large turbo prop rates. It will spread through the enitre industry, watch.
The other problem is that once those airplanes are given to the regionals, nothing can stop them....that flying is gone, never to return. Getting furloughed pilots jobs flying 70-100 seat airplanes at the regionals is great short term thinking but over the long term, it will hurt the profession. Soon all the 737's will be paying 110.00 an hour........10 years from now, who knows, 140.00 an hour on the 777.

If we dont take this by the horns, we are all going to pay. Go to your respective MEC and talk about having one single MEC for your brand. The next move after you merge all the MEC's is to put ALL the seniority lists together to stop the whipsawing. The managements are winning this game and every year the airline pilot profession looses more and more. Regional pilots, major pilots....it doesnt matter, everyone is going to pay if we don't join forces in order to stop the managements of the world from pitting us against ourselves!

I highly suggest reading this months Air Line Pilot, in it they did a little story on "brand" scope.....essentially single seniority lists, single MECs and single contracts.

MR. HAT................Good post but you are wasting your breath.One of the last Mesa classes had all 350 to 500hr. San Juan and they do not care about the industry.These low time kids are only looking at right now and what this time will do for them.I could buy 100 of these A/C and I would have resumes a mile high that would fly them for $20.00 a hour.

The sooner these people wake up and realize that they are not all going to make it to the majors they may worry a little more about their current pay and benefits.It is a puzzle that is going to be hard to solve.

Mr. Hat -

I am furloughed from USAir and couldn't agree with you more. They wasted a lot of leverage getting those J4jobs deals going. I was once asked at a lec meeting (after I had been furloughed for four months) if I liked the J4jobs program and did I as a furloughed pilot want people to vote in favor for it.

My reply was to fight for as many mainline jobs as possible. If US Air was going to flood the market with 300-400 rj's I can get my own job. That did not impress the person whom I was speaking with and he bagan to preach how J4J was going to save my world.

Well december of 2003 I did recieve a letter to fly for mesa, rt seat at $35 hour with a one year training contract. I guess if I wasn't in the SWA pool I might have taken them up on the offer, since I was just furloughed again, but I could find a better place than mesa to work on my own; like Wendy's.

So, when is the EMB 170 expected to actually fly for USAirways/Mid Atlantic? What's the start date? How many pilots have been trained for it? Any actual pilot impressions yet?

HS -

I do not even pay attention to J4J except what I might get in the mail, or what a buddy might tell me he /she heard.

Mr Hat said:
MMM I want one!
I am sorry to say though, that those airplanes should be flown at USair and not at their "regionals". Screw jets for jobs, yes its good that those furloughed pilots have jobs now but the E170/190 is going to pay much less at the regional level because of course, regionals are stepping stones right? And its going to trickle upward into mainline aircrafts pay rates. Pay for aircraft with around 100 seats has already been set with the F100 at AMR and the smaller 737s at nearly every other major. Now they are going RESET those pay rates down to large turbo prop rates. It will spread through the enitre industry, watch.
The other problem is that once those airplanes are given to the regionals, nothing can stop them....that flying is gone, never to return. Getting furloughed pilots jobs flying 70-100 seat airplanes at the regionals is great short term thinking but over the long term, it will hurt the profession. Soon all the 737's will be paying 110.00 an hour........10 years from now, who knows, 140.00 an hour on the 777.

someone droped the ball on mid atlantic. if you mainline guys don't like the regional pay rate then why did you agree to it. And mid atlantic has nothing to do with J4J. all the 170's will be staffed with 100% furloughed mainline guys and gals.
dont worry though, airways will be out of business soon and we can all work for wendys.

Last edited:
Sadly, the 70-seat ball was fumbled years ago.

70-seat RJ's are flown by at least a half-dozen Regionals already totaling over 50 aircraft and climbing.

The 90-seaters are still saveable, BUT you'll have two choices fly them for Jetblue pay AND BENEFITS (no retirement) or wave bye-bye as they go to the regionals.

Additionally, EVERY associated mainline employee group will have to work for AT MOST what JetBlue does.

THAT is the future of the industry.

Most of us wish it were different.

Bluestreaker said:
someone droped the ball on mid atlantic. if you mainline guys don't like the regional pay rate then why did you agree to it. And mid atlantic has nothing to do with J4J. all the 170's will be staffed with 100% furloughed mainline guys and gals.
dont worry though, airways will be out of business soon and we can all work for wendys.

It was jammed down the throats of mainline pilots. Don't you pay attention to what is going on in this industry?

Latest resources

Back