• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sneak Preview UAIR EMB 170

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I decided to become an airline pilot, I sacraficed 50K in college loans, 30K in obtaining ratings, 7 years of working for shlt wages so I could become an airline pilot for a major carrier with attractive wages and benefits. If I would have known what this industry is becoming, I would have never even began. It kills me when I see these 23 year olds springing wood to fly a 70 seater for garbage man wages. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE F*CKING COFFEE!! YOUR RUINNING YOUR CAREER AND THE PROFESSION!!!

garbage men make better wages than those new hires flying 70 seaters, even beter than some senior captains!

delivery100 said:
When I decided to become an airline pilot, I sacraficed 50K in college loans, 30K in obtaining ratings, 7 years of working for shlt wages so I could become an airline pilot for a major carrier with attractive wages and benefits. If I would have known what this industry is becoming, I would have never even began. It kills me when I see these 23 year olds springing wood to fly a 70 seater for garbage man wages. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE F*CKING COFFEE!! YOUR RUINNING YOUR CAREER AND THE PROFESSION!!!

Hey I agree with you. But imagine that 23 year old kid paying 100 bucks an hour to fly 182, and all of the sudden some one is offering him to fly a jet...and THEY are gonna PAY him!
My point is that most people who get into this business don't start thinking about money, QOL, retirement and all those nice things, until flying that jet becomes just a job (a year or two and a couple of thousand hours leter.)
The supply of those 23 year old kids will never end.

Thanks all,
My understanding is that LEFT seat in the E170 for US Airways pays $58.75 an hour.
Thats horrible being that I fly the E145 left seat for $59.60, and we are negotiating higher pay as we speak.
At some point ALPA is going to have to stop supporting the policies that fragment our airlines into alter ego carriers that compete against our union brothers for jobs.
How right you are! ALPA is coming around on this issue but not nearly fast enough. I figure that EMB type equipment will reach equality in about 15 years or so, at that point I expect consolidation by the companies because they are going to find that they can fly 50-100 seaters for themselves for less by cutting the management structure around these airplanes if the pilots are all being paid the same "rate" and the whipsaw value is gone. By that time, our profession will have degraded beyond the point of no return. Notice that I didnt say that the EMB types will have higher pay, just that they will be equal. Think about it for a while and you'll scare yourself.

Astra Guy

The bottom of the nacelles are about 1 1/2' above the the ground at mtow, which is 82,000 lb. That is about the same as a B-737. A person standing just under 6' tall will have their head just under the lip of the top of the nacelle. The cabin height is 6'7".

While I haven't stood next to it myself, it does seem to deceive the eyes from the pictures I've seen too.

Mercy

You must be a Mid-Atlantic pilot. So what do you think, are the passengers going to like it? Also, will they be heading up to ROC or SYR soon? Hope so.:)

7 years of working for shlt wages so I could become an airline pilot for a major carrier

Forgive me, but isnt that what these "23 year old kids" are doing? What made it okay for you to whore yourself? Now that you are where you want to be it is very easy to criticize.

I challenge you to suggest a viable alternative to accepting a job at a regional airline.

I do not think these doomsday scenarios will play out, given the recent news of mainline recalls. Its all one big cycle. The majors were hiring 3 years ago. Has everyone forgot that fact? Granted some of the kneejerk concessions given by certain mainline pilots will linger, but whos fault is that? Certainly not the 23 year old Mesa FO.

lowecur,

Yes, I'm at "MAA" as some call it.

From what some have told us about the airplane, mechanics and instructors, it will be well received by the passengers. One of them, who had some "girth" to him said that when sitting in a seat, he did not feel like he was trapped like in some other regionals. He could have sat comfortably next to somebody.

First one is to be here on the 20th, with two more to follow before the end of the month. Curious why you asked about ROC and SYR. The airplane may be there in the spring.

Latest resources

Back