Slow Taxiing in DFW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
theflyingcondor said:
Can't you guys crack a reverser while taxiing? I know ACA CRJs used to do that before they could single-engine taxi.
Using a reverser in two-engine ops is a really great way to control taxi speed, but here at PCL it's not allowed - puts extra cycles on the T/R's and they are cycle-limited (expensive overhaul).

At any rate, single-engine taxi is much slower than using a reverser, but if someone is REALLY crawling (had a 757 do that in MSP last week), I just stop and set the brake and wait for them to get a few hundred yards up then start going again. Ground yelled at us and I simply said "Tell 757 Turtle Boy up there to taxi at a normal rate and I'll start taxiing again." Nothing more was said from ground control.

I don't like missing commutes home because some NW guy doesn't like the RJ's and chooses to take it out on the pilots flying them... that's assinine.

Lear 70
Don't flatter yourself I would be surprised he even knew you were there.Had a line check last month and the guy said 12/ 16 kts grd speed..not a problem for me.

12-16 kts is fine. 4 kts is not. And no, I'm not exaggerating; took us 20 minutes to go two miles down 22 and turn the corner at Alpha in MSP.

And yes, he did know we were there, ground had to instruct him on his taxi sequence. Great for you if you've never had a problem with it, but seeing as the majority on this thread have, try to save your comments for something constructive.

And yes, I was a 727 Captain before the current downturn stuck me in an RJ so I might know just a little something about Boeing taxi speeds...

filejw said:
Lear 70
Don't flatter yourself I would be surprised he even knew you were there.Had a line check last month and the guy said 12/ 16 kts grd speed..not a problem for me.
BUY AIRBUS!!! The taxi SOP is accelerate to 30 kts, then decelerate to 10 and repeat the process until you get where you're going. Average speed-20 kts.

theflyingcondor said:
Supposedly it's because they have some kind of a "mechanical" before T/O checklist that is really long, and the Capt has to answer to each item, instead of concentrating on taxiing the a/c.
AA is pretty backwards in that respect. Procedures and duties are weighted VERY heavily to the captain, more so than any other airline I have seen. FO spends a lot of time sitting around doing nothing.

I also heard that the Capt, not the FO, has to seat the Flight attendants before takeoff.... now that's messed up! Who the heck is taxiing?
It's good for some laughs, anyway. DFW is one of the greatest places to hear PAs given over the tower/ground frequency, far more than any other airport. On the rare occasion it does happen somewhere else, it is always "Ladies and gentlemen welcome aboard American Flight....."

Clearly someone has too much going on to handle at that moment.

LAXSaabdude.

viking737 said:
By the way, when did ASA's call sign change to Candler?
And why?

Changed back in 1999 from ACEY to CANDLER. There was a military outfit out in the southwest with the ACEY callsign. Finally one day they conflicted in the flightplan system and the military won since they had been around longer.

I heard the cranky female ground controller at LGA yell at an AA -80 for slow taxiing one day, the captain shot back that he was, "taxiing at a safe speed." It was quite funny the way he said it.

Ted Striker said:
Changed back in 1999 from ACEY to CANDLER. There was a military outfit out in the southwest with the ACEY callsign. Finally one day they conflicted in the flightplan system and the military won since they had been around longer.
But why "Candler"?

Wasted said:
But why "Candler"?
When we had to decide on a new callsign:

1. All the good ones were gone
2. FAA, ASA, and DAL had to approve (there went most of the other good ones)
3. Someone researched and found out that Hartsfield was named "Candler Field" a LONG time ago, related to Asa Candler, former Coke owner, so "Candler" it was.

atrdriver

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back