slips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eriknorth

Alright...I've been hearing differently from different people. I hear that a forward slip should only be used in an emergency situation, except for training and stuff. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it shouldn't be used in the event that you are just high in an approach. That's what I've heard. And that only a side slip should be used in a high approach. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

For me

It really depends on the circumstance really. I really don't see that there is much problem in doing a forwards slip, at least if you are in a light cessna. However you are not recommended to do forward slips with more then 20 degrees of flaps down. If I do a foward slip I will most always do it with the flaps in the full up position.

Have great one,
J.

The 20 degree "limit" is only a C-172 thing, and not really a big issue, just keeps things more comfortable. Doesn't apply to other types.

As for using forward slips to get down, really not a problem for any light airplane, but if you are in a large jet it is best saved for emergencies as if you've messed up the approach that badly you should just go around and get it right the next time.

For light airplanes, I prefer slips over flaps. Why is that? Becuase when you pull out of the slip you don't lose lift as you would with flaps.

I was taught that there is nothing wrong with doing a forward slip, of course I was in a cherokee at the time so taking advantage of it was not a problem.

But for sure,the next time I fly the concord I will be extra careful when deciding to show my expertise at the maneuver.

Ali

Erik North,
Just to clarify, a side-slip is not used to increase rate of descent. It is used to compensate for cross-wind. I personally teach my students that they should be continually correcting for altitude deviations on approach. However, if a slip is necessary to make a normal approach, a go-around is a better option.

Don't mean to sound like a cowboy but I've experienced, more than once, a full forward slip in a B727 usually when cleared for a close-in visual approach. YAHOO! That's the benefit of flying cargo!...No one to scare but yourself.:eek:

Granted, some speculate that a forward slip in a jet aircraft may not be a good thing as the airflow into the engines can be disrupted, causing compressor stall or worse yet, a flameout.

Last edited:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a forward slip in any light Cessna, even with full flaps. The only reason for the recommendation in the 172 is that you may get a buffet as airflow is disturbed over the tail. This is not dangerous, merely disconcerting if not expected. I agree that slips should not be used as a routine maneuver...the approach should be a little more stabilized than that. However, with the new PTS for Commercial and CFI applicants, the slip is going to be used with frequency during the Power off accuracy landing...with full flaps. If you do it right, you will come in high and slip it down.

Slips should never show below the bottom of a dress or skirt.
It's very tacky.

Forward slips are a nice tool to have in your back pocket. The other day I was riding into ORF from ATL on DAL.9(MD-88) We were very high when cleared for the visual. The pilots(I don't know who was flying) did a beautiful forward slip right down to the glideslope and we landed nicely. I looked around at the pax. some knew things were a little diffrent but most didn't even notice. I have heard that theMD-80 series slips very nice.

Latest resources

Back