• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

slips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have experienced the buffet on a 172N with 40 flaps. It isn't really a big deal though. When you start to feel it just ease up on the control inputs and then reenter the slip.

Buzo let me get this right you had 40 of falps in then you did a forward slip? You must having been falling like a rock.

I hope that was a training exercise and not your normal apporach.

you had 40 of falps in then you did a forward slip? You must having been falling like a rock.
Sounds like fun to me! better than flaps 20 and 3-4° apch angle...

It is not my normal approach. I would rather my students feel the buffet when I am with them rather than on there own. They do come down pretty quick with flaps 40. Not as fast as slipping a 182 with full flaps though.

ehhh

It's really too bad that the cessna "slip myth" has scared one too many green students as well as those new to something as stable as the cessna 172/182's.

I've heard them all. Slipping with full flaps is dangerous! the plane will flip over! You'll lose your elevator and lawn dart into the ground!

No, no, no you won't. You'll get down faster and have used a sometimes priceless tool for hitting your spot whether it be an actual emergency, a spot landing for a checkride, or if you just like falling out of the sky on final just for the hell of it.
As stated previously, the only reason that placard (s/p?) is there is for the occasional bufffeting you get which could alarm someone not expecting it. Hell, I've heard of people writing incident reports because that 'buffeting' is not part of normal operations.

Who gave these people pilot's liscenses?
Stop scaring people with this myth that it's even SLIGHTLY dangerous or shouldn't be done. I'm not perfect, if I fly 5 diff airplanes on and off, my spot landing in a 172 might require a little slipping if I've been flying a seneca all week. Just don't stall :)

---T-hawk

Latest resources

Back