Sleep aids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

usmc33

I thought I'd put this in the cargo forum since most of you will probably be in the need for sleep aids.

I've tried melatonin, but it makes me a little groggy. Is there something else I should try that's legal?

Ambien has been approved for use by pilots. Works like a dream (no pun intended).

tittyjet, thanks. I'm looking for a non-prescription aid though. Any other ideas out there?

Was doing the international thing for the last few years and now full time freight dawg. I used Tylenol's Simply Sleep most of the time. But, the dose required is 2 pills. If I took 2 pills I was a groggy A-hole when I woke up and was like that for half the day. 1 pill and I wasn't so bad but it wasn't as easy to fall asleep with 1 pill. And then there was the day a fellow pilot gave me one of his Ambien and boy that stuff is right on. I was out like a light and woke up feeling great. I recommend that stuff for long term use and over-the-counter stuff should work for the occasional help.

I didn't know Ambien had been approved by the FAA. Do you have a link or any kind of resource to prove it. That stuff works great.
Some people use melatonan(sp?) which is allowed, however is gives me horrible dreams and makes me a zombie the next day.

I use melatonin. It is the chemical produced by your body to regulate your sleep. (OTC melatonin is actually cow melatonin though).

Take one caplet :60 minutes before I want to be asleep and an hour later i'm out like a light.

I do have rather vivid dreams when i'm using it. The next morning though I feel like a million bucks!

Just don't take a laxative and a sleep aid at the same time, especially when you are a passenger on a long haul flight!!

Melatonin.As far as alchohol goes, one drink may help relax you, but any more may actually have a detrimental effect on your sleep.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back