• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleep aids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately Melatonin didn't work for me. Don't work out prior to bed. It gets your body revving and it doesn't slow down for a few hours.

satpak77 said:
FYI

lots of prescription and OTC medications with drugs in them, Ambien, Tylenol, etc, can harm the liver when used extensively. FDA, Govt approved? It must be 100% safe then....not.

Melatonin is natural and I have used it before when on the road, you can buy it at Walgreens on the herbal shelf. Works great. However, luckily, I can take a nap or go to sleep anywhere.

If you engage in a fitness program or at least walk daily, this will help also. I recommend this in the morning, as getting your heart spooled up before bedtime will not help you sleep.

Also, taking a shower before bed seems to help (I never liked hitting the sheets grimy or sweaty anyway).

Satpak, generally good advice, but please don't fall into the "natural = safe" mindset. Belladonna, marijuana, opium, botulism, psychedelic mushrooms, are all 100% organic and natural, and processed less than a GNC melatonin tablet. Melatonin does work and I've used it, but it leaves me feeling pretty funky in the morning, while the Ambien half-life is so short, that if you sleep 8 hours, it's metabolized and gone when you wake up.

Gorilla said:
Satpak, generally good advice, but please don't fall into the "natural = safe" mindset. Belladonna, marijuana, opium, botulism, psychedelic mushrooms, are all 100% organic and natural, and processed less than a GNC melatonin tablet. Melatonin does work and I've used it, but it leaves me feeling pretty funky in the morning, while the Ambien half-life is so short, that if you sleep 8 hours, it's metabolized and gone when you wake up.

absolutely 100% agree

Also, FYI, Melatonin (for me) works best if I take a low dose like 2 hours out from bedtime and drink lots of water before I go to sleep.

again, agree completely with your post

Satpak77-

See it sounds like your schedule involves a little sleep during the night. Mine however is flying all night with a few short breaks. However, my schedlue for the last year as been a complete flip on monday to the 3rd shift flight schedule 8pm-8am, then on friday night flop back to days for a normal weekend and once again back to nights on monday night. I have it pretty perfected by now, and don't have a hard time sleeping. However, I do want to start working out and can't seem to find a time that would work. And I know the weekends are just too busy to fit it in, we are always doing something. Thanks for the input though.

X2 on the water, i try to drink atleast 1/2 -3/4 of a gallon throughout the night. I think it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Did the melatonin thing in the freightdawg dayz. Worked well off the bat. First time I took one was :30 before my flight from RDD to OAK. I was on the nods over STS VOR!

A year later I was up to five of those little buggers just to get 5 hours uninterupted sleep. (I slept in the back of a 402 on the KaiserAir ramp in OAK....too many APU's runnin' at 4 am for the 6 am departure!)

I'll second Valeria root. It's a muscle relaxer that is the basis of Valium. My chiropractor gave me a bottle and one pill puts me in LaLa land with no ill affects in the morning.

Eric

rubicon789 said:
Satpak77-

See it sounds like your schedule involves a little sleep during the night. Mine however is flying all night with a few short breaks. However, my schedlue for the last year as been a complete flip on monday to the 3rd shift flight schedule 8pm-8am, then on friday night flop back to days for a normal weekend and once again back to nights on monday night. I have it pretty perfected by now, and don't have a hard time sleeping. However, I do want to start working out and can't seem to find a time that would work. And I know the weekends are just too busy to fit it in, we are always doing something. Thanks for the input though.

X2 on the water, i try to drink atleast 1/2 -3/4 of a gallon throughout the night. I think it makes a huge difference.

Current job is mostly day flying, however in my "prior life" I flew 135 freight, like you are doing, 7PM to 7AM, so I know where you are coming from.

Stay hydrated, this includes some skin lotion on your arms and face before you start your day (sounds gay but I am serious), and dress comfortable, loose pants, etc. Eat a small meal and carry some bananas or apples or a Clif Bar in your flight bag to keep the blood sugar steady thru-out the night. NO snickers bars or other crap. In between your stops, get out and stretch your whole body (pretend you are going to the gym) every stop, legs, arms, ankles, neck, etc. Carry an old Minute-Maid jug with you at all times so there is not issues with holding it before landing, etc.

All the little factors add up when you are on the backside of the clock and asking your body to do things it doesn't really want to do.

Take care

satpak77 said:
Stay hydrated, this includes some skin lotion on your arms and face before you start your day (sounds gay but I am serious), and dress comfortable, loose pants, etc. Eat a small meal and carry some bananas or apples or a Clif Bar in your flight bag to keep the blood sugar steady thru-out the night. NO snickers bars or other crap. In between your stops, get out and stretch your whole body (pretend you are going to the gym) every stop, legs, arms, ankles, neck, etc. Carry an old Minute-Maid jug with you at all times so there is not issues with holding it before landing, etc.

I do just that, and have found it to work great. I really don't have any problems sleeping. The no coffee, soda thing makes a huge diff. just drink water or juice. Happy flyin....

satpak77 said:
absolutely 100% agree

Also, FYI, Melatonin (for me) works best if I take a low dose like 2 hours out from bedtime and drink lots of water before I go to sleep.

again, agree completely with your post

I tried it the other night. It worked real good. I woke up and was a little tired and in a funk, but as soon as I got going with my morning routine, it was gone. By the time I hit the road for the drive to the airport, I was feeling really good and felt rested all day long.
When it was time for bed that night, didn't even need to take another one and slept just as well.

I won't be taking it every night, but as an occasional aid it looks like it will work for me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back