• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sleep aids

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another Ambien vote. Anything you get OTC stronger than Valerian will perform FAR worse, and leave you feeling crappier, than Ambien. I really limit my use, and told my doctor that, but he said "There's ZERO issues of tolerance or addiction. They just completed a study where they had hundreds of old folks with sleep issues on a triple dose for 2 or 3 years, and when they yanked it, their sleep pattern was identical to what it was just before the study."

If you get the 10 mg tabs, break them in half. 1/2 a tab works as good for me as a whole one (I'm 6'3" / 220 lb)... it's expensive.

I still used only very occasionally, usually AFTER Europe or Japan. 30 tablets lasted me almost 2 years. Now that I'm narrowbody and fly days, it isn't much of an issue anymore.

Sleep-inducing medications: None of the OTC sleep preparations, including Sominex, Tylenol PM, and Excedrin PM, are allowed for flight deck use and require waiting 12-24 hours from last dose to flight duty. Prescription medications such as Sonata, Halcion and Restoril are not approved for airmen. Those pilots taking Ambien (zolpidem), another prescription medication, must wait 24-48 hours after the last dose before flying. The Federal Air Surgeon's Medical Bulletin states that Ambien may be used if no more than twice a week and not within 24 hours of flight duties.

I love Ambien unfortunately can't take it hub turning b/c of the 24hr rule.

dojetdriver said:
I prefer the term "boxing" the clown. Boxing implies that you use finesse and training to achieve the desired result. "Punching" the clown seems kind of brutish and un-skilled. Granted, if you are pressed for time than you gotta do what you gotta do to achieve the desired result.

Works for me also.

I guess you've never seen me box. I have a very unskilled, unrefined technique. Very scrappy like a streetfighter. I have occasionally been known to use a 2 X 4, or a broken bottle to acheive the desired results. I only wish I had your talent, smoothness and finesse. Although I lack the polish, I can assure you it is not from lack of training. I spend quite a bit of time in the "gym". I sleep like a 90 year old man (babies don't always sleep well).

WorldOnTime said:
I guess you've never seen me box. I have a very unskilled, unrefined technique. Very scrappy like a streetfighter. I have occasionally been known to use a 2 X 4, or a broken bottle to acheive the desired results. I only wish I had your talent, smoothness and finesse. Although I lack the polish, I can assure you it is not from lack of training. I spend quite a bit of time in the "gym". I sleep like a 90 year old man (babies don't always sleep well).

Not to sound disprespectful, but I don't think i'd really like to watch you box. I can however understand each individual's technique, style, and method. Props and tools work good when you are feeling up to the challenge, I have used various things myself. Like you, I have spent many an hour in the "gym" refining my technique and consider myself a true professional. Not to sound conceited, but I have been trainig since I was a young teenager.

Different "strokes" for differnet folks. Carry on, as you were, and get back in the "gym" so you don't your touch.

dojetdriver said:
Not to sound disprespectful, but I don't think i'd really like to watch you box. I can however understand each individual's technique, style, and method. Props and tools work good when you are feeling up to the challenge, I have used various things myself. Like you, I have spent many an hour in the "gym" refining my technique and consider myself a true professional. Not to sound conceited, but I have been trainig since I was a young teenager.

Different "strokes" for differnet folks. Carry on, as you were, and get back in the "gym" so you don't your touch.

No, no disrespect taken at all. Boxing can be a very personal thing and in my case, it's rather ugly. There is a lot of sweating, screaming, swearing, spitting and the occasional black out. I too have been a student of boxing since I was a young teenager. I guess some of us have to work harder and some are just natural talents. Enjoy your time in the gym.

WorldOnTime said:
No, no disrespect taken at all. Boxing can be a very personal thing and in my case, it's rather ugly. There is a lot of sweating, screaming, swearing, spitting and the occasional black out. I too have been a student of boxing since I was a young teenager. I guess some of us have to work harder and some are just natural talents. Enjoy your time in the gym.

Make no mistake, I wasn't a natural either. All I can say is that I've trained for a long time and my hard work finally pays off, to help me get to sleep that is.

Now, anybody got any other ideas on sleep aids? I usually take just ONE Tylenol PM/Simply Sleep, works like a charm. I read somewhere that taking pills with a fatty food helps get it into your system faster. It seems to work, I'll eat a granola bar or buttered toast with it. In no time I've got that nice warm feeling and I'll be asleep in no time without waking up and feeling like crap.

FYI

lots of prescription and OTC medications with drugs in them, Ambien, Tylenol, etc, can harm the liver when used extensively. FDA, Govt approved? It must be 100% safe then....not.

Melatonin is natural and I have used it before when on the road, you can buy it at Walgreens on the herbal shelf. Works great. However, luckily, I can take a nap or go to sleep anywhere.

If you engage in a fitness program or at least walk daily, this will help also. I recommend this in the morning, as getting your heart spooled up before bedtime will not help you sleep.

Also, taking a shower before bed seems to help (I never liked hitting the sheets grimy or sweaty anyway).

satpak77 said:
FYI

If you engage in a fitness program or at least walk daily, this will help also. I recommend this in the morning, as getting your heart spooled up before bedtime will not help you sleep.

In regard to this, has anyone, or does anyone workout before they go to bed in the AM. I mean coming home at 8:30am, then working out doesn't sound like fun but it could also wear you down that last little bit.

Anyone care to chime in. Before or After your shift?

rubicon789 said:
In regard to this, has anyone, or does anyone workout before they go to bed in the AM. I mean coming home at 8:30am, then working out doesn't sound like fun but it could also wear you down that last little bit.

Anyone care to chime in. Before or After your shift?

don't workout :

1) Before bed, regardless of "bedtime"
2) When you are tired, as you can get injured or pull a muscle, etc.

as a secondary thing related to "sleeping well", I drink like two bottles of water one hour before bed and sleep GREAT. I pee at like 3 AM but then go back to bed and sleep real good until wakeup call.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back