Skywest. . . .

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ILS,

You've never heard of the mighty 'Bro? You should get out more often. ;-)

We don't call RJ guys "mainline SkyWest" for nothing.

Jets ARE for hot tubs!

What???

I thought this thread was about SkyWest. :confused:

Air Midwest is Mesa's "1900 division," right? (or is that Midwest Express -- I always get the names confused, no offense to anyone). And who is CorpEx?

Morgoth said:
ILS,

You've never heard of the mighty 'Bro? You should get out more often. ;-)

We don't call RJ guys "mainline SkyWest" for nothing.

Jets ARE for hot tubs!
Agree, for some reason I never have heard of the mighty "BRO" :) My Bad.....

I remember what it was like waiting for a class date so here is my own unscientific assessment of the likelihood and timing of a new hire FO Brasilia class.

{All numbers should be reasonably accurate}

First off, for August, there are 216 Bro lines across all domiciles. There are 269 active Bro FOs. This gives a 24.5% reserve which is at the high end of what is desirable. This would indicate that there is no current need for additional FOs. It is possible the shortage that some have stated they are experiencing (being asked to pick up open time etc.) is related to the fact that it is peak vacation time.

So there are two primary places for Bro FOs to go

1. Transition to RJ.
There are currently 79 RJ Transition bids. However all but 25 of them are seatlocked until January 2005 or later. Of those 25 who are not locked, about three quarters are for senior domiciles such as SBA and PSP. This means that since most of the growth is occurring in ORD and COS, there will be very little movement from the Bro FO to the RJ Fo for the remainder of 2004. This is great news if you are in the RJ pool, but not so good for the Bro paddlers. In 2005, the floodgates will open and there will probably be a lot of movement across.

2. Upgrade to Bro Capt.
We have been told no Capt upgrades the rest of the year :-( There are currently 265 active Brasilia captains which is also about a 24% reserve. In order to run Capt upgrades, captains will need to move on themselves.

However, there is some hope here. If the company runs RJ Captain classes (which they will have to because of the RJ growth), quite a few EMB Capts will move on (whatever the bases, there are plenty of bids in for all bases). If enough move on the company will have to run Bro Upgrades. This will get the FO group moving reducing the Bro FO reserves and should nessitate a need for new hire Bro FOs.

Suppose for example that we need 20 new ORD RJ Capts and 20 COS RJ Capts. Using the current standing bids, 8/20 for ORD would be Bro Captains and 9/20 for COS would be Bro Captains. Next suppose the company decided to replace these transitions and run a 20 person Bro Captain Class, 12 would be Bro FOs. This might prompt the company to run a Bro New Hire class.

This is simplified of course. There are so many variables here but the gist is that the continued expansion will lead to the need for Bro new hires and that for 2004 most of the need is likely to come in a trickle down fashion from the running of RJ Captain classes.

So the company has told us they will run 90 RJ Captain upgrades for the rest of the year. Using my fuzzy trickle down (Reagan) math, this might indicate a need for about 20-25 Bro FOs or so. Add in a few for direct CRJ transitions and my forecast is for 30 Bro new hires for the rest of the year. Two classes of 15, most likely.

You can see how sketchy my math is and I am just a line pilot with no inside knowledge whatsoever. I'm just on a really boring overnight.

Seatrump

Some more info

As an addendum to my last post : The company is filling RJ classes on September 1st and 22nd. Apparently these classes are supposed to be 15 Capt and 15 FO each for a total of 30 of each over the two classes.

I estimate that there will be a movement of about 10 EMB FOs. (And 15 EMB Capts). These means about 20 new RJ FOs over the two classes.

Who got called for jet class Skywest

Three of the guys I work with got called.
Their times were between 1,500 and 3,000TT
2/3 of these time being on turbine multi.

I am hpoing to build some more of the time to
be competetive and move on too.

As of today, these is their third day in class
for the jet.

I mess these guys. Awesome flying and working
with them.

let me guess.... ur a bug dropper right. They are doing fine, but let me tell you, they dont miss the old jobs.!!

Bug dropper

Guess not... I would'nt miss it either.
This place we work at is awesome, and
so are all the guys we work with,
but we all move on to fulfilling our
goals.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back