• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest talking pilot pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Junior man is flying on days that you were not scheduled to fly.
Reflow is an unexpected change to your schedule during a normal work block.
Junior man is voluntary for us. Reflow is not.

When you get a chance you can explain how junior man and reflow are basically the same. Maybe at your company the terminology is different but where I work they are different animals.

The standard at ALPA cariers is different then. It does not have to be your day off for you to be junior manned. You can just finish a pairing and have it happen. All airlines have it and you deserve 150% pay for it. Now ther are instances that you are scheduled for lets say a 1.5 hour block. Your gurantee might be 3.5. the comany might take advantage and add another trip to bring you closer or slightly over the min gurantee. You should gaid paid for that extra time. I believe Mesa guys just won an arbitration about this issue though I don't know the details.

I rarely respond to anything on here but why isn't there equal criticism for US Airways, Jetblue, and Mesa as far as their 12 year Captain 90 seat rates are concerned. Please don't get me wrong there needs to be better pay at Skywest when it comes to the 900's but the others mentioned above have rather low rates as well. US Airways=$95, Jetblue=$89, and Mesa=$82 all for 12 year Captain. To be fair Mesa has been given a fair amount of criticism but not the other 2.

They all make more than Skywest guys do and they all have contracts except JB. Plus not many guys stay at regionals for 12 years. Either way at least they have a contract.

Last edited:
MW,

Management controls this by creating schedules and/or lines of flying that require self paid hotels on each end, when in fact schedules can be built easily and profitably to accomodate those who commute for various reasons. But the union does not control how those sched's are built, the company does.

Peace.

Rekks

MW,

Management controls this by creating schedules and/or lines of flying that require self paid hotels on each end, when in fact schedules can be built easily and profitably to accomodate those who commute for various reasons. But the union does not control how those sched's are built, the company does.

Peace.

Rekks

I would only agree with part of that. The SkyWests, ASA's, Mesabas etc of the world don't make their schedules. They are at the mercy of big brother. When United depeaked LAX, SFO, and DEN or changes flight schedules every 28 days, the UAX carriers are along for the ride. There's no way to build schedules to make commuters and non-commuters happy. The only real influence management has on commuting is what domiciles they have and whether they fire you after missing a couple trips.

If your sitting on reserve or the tail end Charlie line holder as a commuter, you're probably fuked anyway.

And management gives things like health insurance, pay for cancellations, block or better, minimum daily guarantee, trip rigs, etc. out of the goodness of their hearts. Yeah right.

And management gives things like health insurance, pay for cancellations, block or better, minimum daily guarantee, trip rigs, etc. out of the goodness of their hearts. Yeah right.

ALPA is not responsible for all the things that you mentioned. Those are terms agreed by management and the labor group. Non-Union carriers have the same perks.

ALPA achievements:

FO pay 19/hr
Mesaba debacle
Blow Jets
Mesa's wad of toilet paper Contract.
Comair cuts.
The race to the bottom.

A union is not a union without solidarity. ALPA has none. Its just a bunch of young and old pilots fighting and undercutting each other under the same roof.

BTW The health insurance is paid by you on a group rate.

Just to name a few...

Wake up and smell what ALPA is shovelin. ALPA serves mainline interests at the regional's expense. ALPA is very good at taking your money but that is about it.

Last edited:
It may not be all peaches and cream at Skywest, but at least there is a possibility of things changing for the better; without hostility,anger and misery. A union at Skywest will take what is a decent relationship and make it into the same relationship that exists between most every other regional carrier and their pilots.

And there is also a possibility that they will decide to use you in the whipsaw, start talking about containing costs, and you will have no say in the process. Having a union on the property does NOTHING to impair the flexibility of the company, as long as the management team is willing to deal fairly with their labor. Historically a union is as happy to work with management as the employees are well treated.

No they aren't passing out dope, they are passing out jobs flying former ASA aircraft. It is ALPA that is passing out some good dope and many of you have been taking too many hits off it....

Well, the way I inderstand it they got a 70 and we got 2 50's. Sounds like a net gain to me. And if those jobs they are passing out involves flying a 70 seat aircraft for 50 seat pay count me out.

ALPA numbers filed with US Dept of Labor........

$487,930.....Duane Woerth's salary
$180,874.....Dennis Dolan's (VP) slary
$162,735.....Paul Rice's (VP) salary
$155,360.....Christopher Beebe's (VP) salary
$311,158.....ALPA Head of Finance salary
$161,195.....Bob Striegel's (Staff Engineer) salary
$113,710.....Manager Real Estate's salary
$111,135.....Meeting Planner's salary
$62,682......ALPA Receptionist's salary
$45,906......Job title listed as "temp"
$123,113.....ALPA Head of HR
$65,166......ALPA Graphic artist's salary
$130,954....ALPA Economic analyst's salary
$54,543......DAL MEC Chair's salary
$17,802......DHL MEC Chair's salary
$20,999......ASA MEC Chair's salary
$14,997......ASA MEC Vice Chair's salary
$25,563......FedEx MEC Chair's salary
$35,337......UAL MEC Chair's salary
$66,587......TSA MEC Chair's salary

$43,800,000 or there abouts in salaries...........

The question is does Skywest need ALPA or does ALPA need 2,500 more pilot dues to pay those salaries???

Latest resources

Back