SkyWest takes Delta for Everything It's Got

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
You guys are FEED. Sure, you are doing well, attached to two bankrupt carriers. As we both emerge eventually, we will regain our strength gradually, and you will still be feed. Get over your nasty selves...Get over yourself.

I'm glad you had the foresight to go to Delta back in the day. Congrats. Unfortunately, I graduated college 2 year after 9/11, and for the last 5 years or so the industry has been in the sh11ter and lowly "feeder" guys probably won't ever get a shot at mainline. I'm glad you are happy making more money than us, and I'm glad you feel the need to rub it in. That's awesome.

Nevermind the fact that skywest helped Delta raise the needed cash to continue (if the article is true) or that AWAC helped USAir out of BK by investing their $125 mil. Maybe one day you will be the "feed"?

~wheelsup

General Lee said:
Ok, I won't make 5 times as much, maybe two or three. And, I may not get 18 days off initially---probably 13-14. As far as getting the left seat, it is looking good right now thanks to great lease negotiations. Will I be a jerk Captain? No, I will buy everything third drink--as long as the FO buys the other two. :) And, everyone in this industry that flies will eventually get a pay cut. Look at the Expressjet guys with a great contract and a healthy feed partner--CAL---they still are getting the squeeze.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Uhhh General Loser,
You don't even make twice as much. SKYW and ASA RJ pay isn't that low compared to the mighty DAL narrowbody scale. Looking at that MD88 scale topping out at 139 an hour is kinda depressing when a 12 year CA at SKYW is making close to 80 per hour even when flying a 50 seater. About 86 for a 70 seater at ASA. If your work rules go the way of UAL's narrowbody work rules you'll be crying the blues.

You may not be a jerk captain but you'll always be a jerk on FlightInfo.

General Lee said:
You guys are FEED. Sure, you are doing well, attached to two bankrupt carriers.

FEED......Ooooohhhhh...what an insult. FEED.

Let's see now. SKYW has been profitable longer than some of their captains have been alive. Close to 30 years, isn't it? When was the last time DAL even turned a profit?

Funny when I talk to guys that have been furloughed for several years they regret ever leaving their job at a FEEDer. FEED may not be as glamorous as you make mainline out to be but let's face reality. It's a more stable job right now.

Dave Benjamin said:
Uhhh General Loser,
You don't even make twice as much. SKYW and ASA RJ pay isn't that low compared to the mighty DAL narrowbody scale. Looking at that MD88 scale topping out at 139 an hour is kinda depressing when a 12 year CA at SKYW is making close to 80 per hour even when flying a 50 seater. About 86 for a 70 seater at ASA. If your work rules go the way of UAL's narrowbody work rules you'll be crying the blues.

You may not be a jerk captain but you'll always be a jerk on FlightInfo.

Thanks Dave, for all of your support. The thing is, if Delta's pension does allow one more lump sum payout (they look at every quarter, and if the fund is funded up to 80%--they dole them out again) like people think may happen in March---1300 pilots are eligible. Will that many go? Probably not. But will the top 300? Probably. If they do, I will be a 738 Captain, and if more go, I will go higher. That is the key here Dave, we can go higher for bigger planes (unlike a certain Regional based in St. George). It is just a matter of time. And, I am 40, so I have time to eventually move up in future contracts. 787 here I come.

And Dave, come on now with the personal attacks. I would only expect that from CFIT.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dave Benjamin said:
FEED......Ooooohhhhh...what an insult. FEED.

Let's see now. SKYW has been profitable longer than some of their captains have been alive. Close to 30 years, isn't it? When was the last time DAL even turned a profit?

Funny when I talk to guys that have been furloughed for several years they regret ever leaving their job at a FEEDer. FEED may not be as glamorous as you make mainline out to be but let's face reality. It's a more stable job right now.

Dave, easy now, you will blow a vein. When was the last profit at Delta? We were ALWAYS profitable (a lot more than SkyWest makes) until 9-11, and you can understand that when you have very few passengers on 400 mainline sized planes for a few months after 9-11, losses start.(except at regional feed with guaranteed contracts) You can understand that. Then the internet thing came around--to buy cheap tickets and cause larger losses. Then high gas killed us all---except SkyWest who had an "insulated" plan with Delta---which worked well for you but not for us. You know the history, but Delta has always had money, and we have been doing a great job losing it over the last 4 years. We are now trying to save $3 billion a year in cost savings, and we all will be squeesed somewhat to achieve that. Your pilots have come through for the company a few times----and made you look bad to the whole regional industry. You were the first to accept one rate for any plane up to 99 seats, and you have no power to change that. You could have had a 1.2% pay raise, but you turned that down---which is good I guess---and now you may never see that again. Who knows? Glass houses.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Will that many go? Probably not. But will the top 300? Probably. If they do, I will be a 738 Captain, and if more go, I will go higher. That is the key here Dave, we can go higher for bigger planes (unlike a certain Regional based in St. George). It is just a matter of time.

I'm not sure if I'd be rejoicing over moving up in seniority because thousands are leaving like rats abandoning a sinking ship. Maybe they just know some things you haven't figured out yet.

Don't think a certain regional won't get bigger planes? I wouldn't count on that. A certain bankruptcy case is a long ways from being over. And a certain MEC has a reputation for eating its young.

General Lee said:
Then the internet thing came around--to buy cheap tickets and cause larger losses. Then high gas killed us all---except SkyWest who had an "insulated" plan with Delta---which worked well for you but not for us.

So what's your plan General? You gonna kill the internet? Make OPEC sell oil for for the amount of money your company's business plan was based on?
Those problems aren't going away anytime soon. Maybe flying E-190's at sub-JetBlu rates will insure your survival. Of course you'll be defending those crappy rates a lot longer than SKYW pilots will be worried about their combined rates.

Dave Benjamin said:
I'm not sure if I'd be rejoicing over moving up in seniority because thousands are leaving like rats abandoning a sinking ship. Maybe they just know some things you haven't figured out yet.

Don't think a certain regional won't get bigger planes? I wouldn't count on that. A certain bankruptcy case is a long ways from being over. And a certain MEC has a reputation for eating its young.

That MEC has now changed. The leader is a new 737-200 Captain. Same MEC? Not. Sinking ship? It is trying to float again, and with savings it will. If it sinks, you will sink too. Look at the exit financing for USAir with AWA's help. The financers got DOUBLE their money back. There will be financing companies lining up to get the same deal with Delta. USAir's stock is twice what is was when it came out---huge profits for those companies who got stock. This airline won't go away, unless a merger, and we would do ok since we just got rid of 2300 Captains, in 18 months!

Will you get some bigger planes? Maybe. Will ALPA cave on the 79 seater? I hope not. But, if they do--you will get the CRJ-705--a tad bit bigger than that CR7, and for the same pay. Ouch. We already have a pay rate proposal for the 100 seater---and any agreements would have scope added too. I think ALPA will stand strong for the 79 seaters and up, since 2300 super loyal captains just left the building. Even the 58% approval for the TA says something. It says a bit more and your Summer season may be a rough one.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Dave Benjamin said:
So what's your plan General? You gonna kill the internet? Make OPEC sell oil for for the amount of money your company's business plan was based on?
Those problems aren't going away anytime soon. Maybe flying E-190's at sub-JetBlu rates will insure your survival. Of course you'll be defending those crappy rates a lot longer than SKYW pilots will be worried about their combined rates.

Their plan is to squeeze everyone. You included. My plan? Well, it is amazing that 2300 Captains left in 18 months. Look at NW, they didn't have the lump sum option, and none of their guys are leaving. We lost 2300. Amazing. I am moving up and trying to keep my same pay by moving up to Captain on the MD88 or maybe the 738 in NYC. As far as the E190s or other 100 seaters, if the pay rate is right--the company will go for it. The key is to get the aircraft first, and then wait for the next contract to raise the pay. We have learned from past mistakes (50 and 70 seat RJs). But think about it, those rates for 100 seaters (set by Jetblue management) will affect everyone---your management will bring those same rates up during your negotiations. (when are they again?) They would have to do that----how can a 70 seater pay more than a 100 seater? That would be their first question. How can you answer that?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back