• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Staffing Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
how does that PBS work for your vacation time...

Man I love it when you have 13-15 days off for just one week of vacation !! Thanks ALPA=NO PBS !

I was mocking the previous poster for speaking in generalities.

only some of the pro-union folks fit that description, just like only some of those that don't support the drive here are spoiled little punks who just want to upgrade.

BTW, I plan on being a lifer here.

Were you at SkyWest during the "Deal Capt Holt an Ace" vote on the CR700's?

I was and the new guys had it all figured out; they needed the growth to upgrade and so they could leave SkyWest. Most are still there because the opportunity to move on is diminishing with every 900 and 700 that arrives on the SkyWest property. But the new guys want more and more and more of them.

That is called a Catch 22.

Last edited:
I usually average around 14-15 days off and I'm a CRJ SLC CA almost half way up the list. The guaranteed time off is 10 days for both reserves and line holders. Unfortunately, F.O.'s are gonna be short for a while and probably won't get better at any of the regionals. Just not enough pilots applying for the jobs out there. Some of our job fairs in large cities have had just a couple of pilots show. I'm sure we're all in agreement that the pay needs to increase to attract new pilots to this career.

The plan is to short staff.

It not poor planning; IT'S THE PLAN. It's has been the plan for over 4 PLUS years.
You are right on the money!

It's cheaper to spend a few exta dollars on Jr. Man pay than to hire and train more pilots. More pilots on the property mean more sim costs, more check airmen expense, more benefits to pay, more recurrent classes, more of everything that costs money. For the company, Jr. Man pay is the cheapest way to solve the pilot shortage.

Some of you seem to be forgetting. Airlines don't view you as people with lives. They view you as just one piece of a complex logistical puzzle.

You are right on the money!

It's cheaper to spend a few exta dollars on Jr. Man pay than to hire and train more pilots. More pilots on the property mean more sim costs, more check airmen expense, more benefits to pay, more recurrent classes, more of everything that costs money. For the company, Jr. Man pay is the cheapest way to solve the pilot shortage.

Some of you seem to be forgetting. Airlines don't view you as people with lives. They view you as just one piece of a complex logistical puzzle.
It's worse than that...

The CFO explained that SkyWest bids for flying with crew costs at "X" cost and is paid a margin above X. However, if SkyWest can deliver crew costs at X-10 they are still due the margin at X and SkyWest pockets the margin plus the -10.

PBS, SAPA and no contract or union with a real grievance process is all that is need to continue to squeeze crews and "build upside into the margin".

Short Staffing is part of the plan to 'build upside into the margin".

no guarantees

I usually average around 14-15 days off and I'm a CRJ SLC CA almost half way up the list. The guaranteed time off is 10 days for both reserves and line holders. Unfortunately, F.O.'s are gonna be short for a while and probably won't get better at any of the regionals. Just not enough pilots applying for the jobs out there. Some of our job fairs in large cities have had just a couple of pilots show. I'm sure we're all in agreement that the pay needs to increase to attract new pilots to this career.

This is the point that a lot of people seem to overlook. ALPA is not a perfect answer. But as it stands Skywest is a group of "at will" employees. Of course they would not revoke all of your work rules at the drop of a hat, that would cause a major uproar. But, if we are short a couple of FO's you could take away a day off here or there. You could change from a line bid system to PBS (oh, you did that already) and the examples go on and on. You really have no recourse or guarantee at all

Obviously one will never see the pay of a major at a regional, but I believe we could see quality of life if those who plan on hanging around would fight for it.[/quote]

Count Skynation in on NOT fighting for it.

Trojan

Latest resources

Back