• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest Loses Lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some of the anti-Alpa people who think sapa/management will "take care of me", coolaid drinkers need to WAKE UP!

I know you want to believe all that stuff you heard from the sapa people like Jim Black/ David Livingston/ Dave Alden etc while you were in new hire class but it was pure nonsense. You are NOT protected (just look at DD's case, he was sold down the river by sapa/management wanna be's proving their loyalty to management. Also it should be noted Tony Fizer, the guy who was behind this unfair treatment/firing was a former Sapa VP himself until he was awarded the Chief Pilot job for giving away work rules as a sapa rep) and the only way there is a "good working relationship" with management is that they can do what they want when they want. The so called policy manual has been sliced and diced dozens and dozens of times the past few years and there is NEVER any give back. How is that a good working relationship?! I know alot of guys think, "I'll do my three years and get on with a major"....dont be so sure. The majors are always one terrist attack/accident away from furloughing and no hiring for five to ten years then you are stuck at that "temporary time building company" that you didn't do anything to make better.

Last edited:
Not to go into any details here but what do you think Viper? Think I'm a fence sitter after my brief incounter with the dark underbelly of our big happy family?! :)

Your situation helped me see the light. I thought the guy you were dealing with was one of the good CP's too.

Being in the left seat I see how things could go downhill quickly if they don't agree with how you handle a situation

The court has already ruled on this. All he gets is his job back with senority, all back pay, reembursement of medical expenses he incurred since he didn't have insurance since his termination and reembursment of reasonable attorney fees. While it's a victory, and rightfully so; it's a bitter sweet one.

The Chief Pilot involved has since been removed from that post but is still employed and flys the line.

It's like playing a Country song backwards.

How about if they garnishee TF's salary for awhile to pay back what it cost? As dead against unions as SkyWest is, whose head do you think will roll if this drive passes? Granted there isn't one single issue to vote for or against ALPA, but how many fence sitters or ones who were against will now vote YES because of this guy? I still think he was reassigned so that more pilots didn't get pissed off and decide to vote YES.

This was a big political victory for the union side. I wonder how much money ALPA secretly funneled to the pilot's legal defense.

BS terminations are far from rare. What is rare is for the average line pilot to get anything close to what the facts are in a disciplinary event involving someone other than themselves.

This is the real problem. Skywest management has become incredibly adept at hiding things and keeping people quiet about their unlawful terminations. The average Skywest pilot never hears about them unless they knew the guy personally. Don isn't the only one. Ask the guys on the OC. They have plenty of examples to provide. Your "benevolent" management team is anything but.

2% is a small price for the added insurance of ALPA Legal and Medical alone.

I don't drive my car without insurance, and I sure wouldn't want to go to work without some sort of protection either. I hope I never need to use it, but should I, it's nice to know it's there.

2% is a small price for the added insurance of ALPA Legal and Medical alone.

I don't drive my car without insurance, and I sure wouldn't want to go to work without some sort of protection either. I hope I never need to use it, but should I, it's nice to know it's there.

That's really the bottom line on why the Skywest pilots need a real union. ALPA may have a lot of problems, but you just can't risk going without the "career insurance" it provides. That plus the added benefits I mentioned in another thread.

And few realize that union dues are 100% TAX DEDUCTIBLE. You get it all back.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to ask these questions during the next shareholder's meeting or the next conference call

Assuming someone actually did, what do you think the people on the call would say? "Oh yes..that lawsuit was a real killer...our Chief Pilot really blew it and cost us a bunch of money".

For those Skywest pilots on here, check out the termination statics that R.J. (one of the "good" SAPA reps) posted on SAPA forums. Still think the company/SAPA has your back? It makes a nice comparison between terminations at SkyWest and those at ALPA carriers. Not a good showing for Skywest.

Latest resources

Back